It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cattle cull may be needed: Klein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Alberta's premier Ralph Klien is considering asking feedlot operators to kill some of the 1.76 million animals born before Canada's 1997 ban on giving cattle feed that includes protein from other cattle. Klien wants to restore international confidence in Canadian beef after two cows tested positive for mad cow disease in the last 10 days. The discovery of Canada's first case of BSE in May of 2003 devastated the beef industry, as 34 countries cut off Canadian imports.

www.theglobeandmail.com
Radical measures were being floated Wednesday as the best way to prove to the world that Canada is taking seriously the danger posed by mad-cow disease.
There are persistent fears that stakeholders in the United States will use this week's mad-cow diagnosis, the second this month, as an excuse to push for longer import restrictions on Canadian beef.
The federal government was urged to open immediate and top-level talks with the Bush administration to explain Canada's response to the latest case of mad-cow disease to emerge from Alberta.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really has me concerned considering the fact that more recent news is reporting that the owner stated the third cow had been fed a cattle supplement he had purchased in the spring of 1998. Cattle supplements that contained cattle protein were banned in 1997. Why on earth didn't he check the date the supplement was made?

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.theglobeandmail.com

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
There are now confirmed reports the feed used by the owner of the third cow that he did infact use feed that had been banned.

Federal investigators have narrowed the search for the source of the latest mad-cow case down to a "readily available" grain supplement an Alberta farmer bought nearly a year after strict new safeguards were put into place.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Cattle feed banned in 1997 was allowed to be consumed after the anti-BSE measure went into effect, a federal food inspection official has said. While a manufacturing ban of higher risk feed containing animal protein was enforced, there was no effort to recall any of the existing product already distributed, said Dr. George Luterbach, a veterinarian for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Source

[edit on 1/14/2005 by shots]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
And the scary thing is, he also fed the same feed to 103 other cows.
I'm really curious as to the whereabouts of those cows.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
And the scary thing is, he also fed the same feed to 103 other cows.
I'm really curious as to the whereabouts of those cows.

Yes, that is a little scary... I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that the rest of the herd has been slayed already.
The farmer isn't totally at fault here. The place he bought the feed from sold him the crap, so they should be somewhat responsible, no? I am sure there isn't a warning on "the bag" that says "contents herin may cause BSE", so...
Anyway, Canada has the best BSE testing procedures on the planet, so more cases get discovered, per x number of animals, isn't that so?

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
... I'll bet 1 loonie that the March 7/05 date for opening the border does not get delayed...

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
If a Canadian cull occurs under these guidelines, I wonder how long the US will take to follow suit (okay, they will never do that).

I still find it frightening that with the US feed ban not being put into place till a few years after Canada, that no cases of Mad Cow are being reported here. For my poor little mind, I just cannot find any logic to how it is possible it's not out there.

Someone more intelligent than me please explain this to me so I can believe it.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Hey they could feed them to these reptoid aliens and kill 2 birds with one stone!

Hey I wonder if the greys planted mad cow disease so they can take over the earth? Or is that already a theory?

[edit on 083131p://30018 by instar]

top topics

join