It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The emasculation of the modern male

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Boys and girls were raised differently in the past.

When I grew up, you know how I was raised and what I was told?

"don't try to be a show off or act like you know more than a boy, it'll hurt his ego"
"pretend to be stupid, boys like that"
"men like small petite women they can take care of"
"always smile and be nice"

Stuff like that. It wasn't just me, I think most girls were raised to be passive and frail so men can feel all big and strong.

Just because society socialized children in a particular way in the past doesn't mean it was the 'best" way. (However, I don't think the way we raise kids now is that much better either, honestly.)
edit on 25-4-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

In the ring, a battlefield, different stories, valid of course, also when fighting for the safety of your family.

And now this brings to mind, Fight Club.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

I'm not opposed to feminine qualities in a man as you can see from my post history I'm a very compassionate person I just think we're losing sight as a culture on the masculine and feminine energies that create diversity in the socialsphere.

Diversity is important.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto

In the ring, a battlefield, different stories, valid of course, also when fighting for the safety of your family.

And now this brings to mind, Fight Club.

Like I've said fighting was just my example I wanted to discuss the deeper issue of masculinity and how were culturally moving away from it.

Like a poster said above the tradesmen who actually do all the work and hunting and these masculine qualities are being frowned upon in mainstream culture.

link   
I taught my son from a young age, never start a fight, but if you have to finish one, you need to know how to fight well, don't hold back.

Boys will be boys, and they have to know how to handle themselves in situations. He's had a few times throughout his life (he's 30) when he's been jumped by other guys trying to prove themselves, or they're drunk, or a friend is in a fight, saving his girlfriend's honour, etc.
Since he's been 8 years old, he's probably had a fight every couple of years.
Thank god he knows how to punch back, and how to take a punch.

And he's not a violent person, but we live in a violent society.
That part isn't changing.
I'm just really glad people up here in Canada generally leave their guns out of the equation, fists are way less lethal.

link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

I remember back in high school, people getting bulied, then one day standing for themselves, thats only fair!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle

See my last two post as a response.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I agree, things are being refined in such a way.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I don't think it should be discouraged in some situations. I think the problem has always been that some guys will resort to violence when they feel they're losing an argument. Such ways leads to stupidity dominating. Theres also many people who will resort to insulting to "win." Where people with weak arguments try to call the opposition racist, bigots etc. in there attempts to win.

Such people could use a verbal and physical ass kicking.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

People are predators.

That's how I treat everyone I meet until proven ptherwise.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

Been there! lol It was. Problems were rectified and dealt with. I watched a lot of friendships happen after fighting, surprisingly enough.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Yes, I was agreeing with you the whole way. My post was mostly aimed at previous posters.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

ahaha, so true! Sometimes the biggest enemies become the best friends! Even in heated arguments without fist fights, I made some madly weird friendships with debates!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
"""

Substracto

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:48 PM

You know what? I miss those old movies back in the 80s, 90s, early 00s where the guys talked in a macho bul# kind of way. If you look at most men these days, the metrosexuality and all, is over hyped! Look at how feminine we have become! I'm not saying it is wrong to take care of you in a way it makes you feel good, clean.. but too much? really? then the way society looks at you, if you are let's say a hunter, hunting has always been a virile thing to do, linked to a primal survival instict, deep agression or love for sport, you do feel things you dont usually feel when you hunt, you connect to your ancient roots in a way, but how it is perceived by others, meh. There was a time when men were hailed to be achievers, strong and providers, usually

How do you guys feel about this post?
edit on 4/25/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/25/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: primespickle
Well, I am so sorry that you men find life so hard because you can't be destructive and primitive willy nilly.

What ever happened with the idea wanting to EVOLVE as a species? Why do you prefer to act like cavemen? What ever happened to progress?

The violence you wish to have doesn't start and stop with men. It will and DOES become violence against women.

How many times have you felt terribly afraid when doing something SIMPLE like walking down the street or sitting on a train? Probably never, right? No, you have your big strong man muscles, after all.

Why do we prevent bears and lions from roaming the streets? Because they are harmful to others. Men should not strive to harm others like viscous animals, and they shouldn't feel bad about being prevented from doing so either.

Men need to learn how to understand their emotions more fully. Violence and anger are almost never the solution to problems. Anger is usually an emotion that is confused with other emotions, and violence is a result of this misinterpretation. Men need to learn to cry. There is really nothing wrong with crying. Honestly, crying feels good and doesn't hurt a fly. Win, f--king, win. Oh, but I am sure you find eyes leaking fluid to be oh so offensive and emasculating.

Anti-woman threads are way too common here. FYI, feminism is basically dead. The "waves" are receding and believe it or not, things have gotten much worse for women over the past few years. Example, abortion. After decades, no one will just let it go.

But so sorry that you feel you can't be who you "naturally" are. I wonder what it is like to be so oppressed? Oh wait....

I'm an empath who cries during freaking sad or happy commercials. I hate violence, I can hardly stand to watch it. I'm not into razzing. All the street fights I've been In (which are few) I just end up feeling really bad for being a jerk. (even in defeat)

Put me In the cage though......the lights come on. Pure aggression, sweat, and blood. It's thrilling. Surreal even. It's not caveman violence.

Fighting has evolved and what we have today is a beautiful art, MMA. It creates good people.

I never did it to prove anything or to look cool or tough. It's purely a personal pursuit.

I don't think any real fighters are just going to randomly maul people on the streets, or beat women.

It's the suppressed emasculated crazies that will do that.

I would call not tapping into our primal instincts a devolution.

The body and mind thrive when we test our limits
edit on 25-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

I always thought I was weird because I enjoyed to argue... then I found the speech and debate team and fit right in with all the nerds. I still dealt with a lot of slack from people when I moved (and I did... a lot) but it taught me that not everyone is going to like you all the time and if they are upset, that's their problem, not yours.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

There's a difference between someone needing to see consequences for their actions and somone needing to be physically assaulted, learning and teaching people how to deal with problems they will encounter in life without violence is essential. For example; When one child wants the toy another is playing with and they bite the other child to obtain the toy that child needs to be corrected because that is not acceptable behaviour for anyone, if the child who was bitten bites back, that child also will be corrected because it is still unacceptable.

Learning how to settle a confrontation without resorting to violence is a valuable skill, there is good reason for assault being illegal.
edit on 25-4-2016 by FairyThorne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Great points and most fighters are great people. I know I've met them from the worst to the best.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Nothing weird about that, whole lessons to be learned when debating, arguing, you learn about communication, perspectives, fairness, balance, and of course not everyone is going to like you all the time, actually one thing that I find appaling these days, is how quickly you dismiss other people, based on the most petty things..

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

You said something, that is very important, the duality and filtering of behavior!

"I'm an empath who cries during freaking sad or happy commercials. I hate violence, I can hardly stand to watch it. I'm not into razzing. All the street fights I've been In I just end up feeling really bad for being a jerk. (even in defeat)

Put me In the cage though......the lights come on. Pure aggression, sweat, and blood. It's thrilling."

You can be more than one way, an empath and a fighter, just as in the old days, some warriors were writers or poets.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join