It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The emasculation of the modern male

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ghaleon12

I know it's hard to wrap your head around the first fighting aspect of my post but if you read past the first five post you can see a more intellectual approach so the conversation.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Or where men don't know how to spell?

telk

ir hunt

wrapons work

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Its sublimated, until its actively encouraged, by joining the Military.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Dude I was typing with my d### cause my hands were pretty busy fending off a pair of supermodels that just couldnt get enough....I figure I did pretty good.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm sorry. Did you feel judged? How does that make you feel?

Newsflash: I made a statement about how funny a BBQ full of fake tough-guys who love Bigfoot and drink Jager-bombs would be. If that ain't you, it ain't you. I'm not sure where all these "feelings" come from. The toughest guys I ever met did their jobs and took care of their families and never made a fuss about their feelings, or about how their masculinity was threatened by other people.

Maybe we should get back to that?

You are all welcome to do your fight club thing in a gym, or arena, where that kind of thing belongs.

I don't look down on it anymore than I look down on square dancing, action figure (or car) collecting or netflix-binging. Roll your own damn flow. I ain't judging any of it.
edit on 13-5-2016 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Personally, I think the "modern male" and the "modern female" are finally evolving in a healthy way. What some people call "emasculation" is just a manifestation of fear of change. There has been a distinct gender role idea that was pervasive all the way up through the 1960s. Maybe it started as something productive for human evolution, but eventually technology and knowledge made the distinctions obsolete. Scientists agree that biologically, sex has little to do with anything outside of the bits that make procreation possible. Gender, however, has very little to do with those bits, and everything to do with what a culture says is masculine or feminine. So... it's impossible to "emasculate" the modern male, because if culture is moving toward a more spectral view of gender, then that's just the new normal. There are those who felt women working or voting was abnormal, but it was just society growing and becoming less discriminatory. So too is the "emasculation" of males. It's really just our society growing and accepting that there are more choices for modern men than the binary box of boys/girls toys that we grew up with. It's all good, it's just freedom. You are still free to love football and work on cars if you're a male, and free to stay home and make delicious meals and raise wonderful children if you're a female... People are just free to do other stuff, too.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKMDC1
Personally, I think the "modern male" and the "modern female" are finally evolving in a healthy way. What some people call "emasculation" is just a manifestation of fear of change. There has been a distinct gender role idea that was pervasive all the way up through the 1960s. Maybe it started as something productive for human evolution, but eventually technology and knowledge made the distinctions obsolete. Scientists agree that biologically, sex has little to do with anything outside of the bits that make procreation possible. Gender, however, has very little to do with those bits, and everything to do with what a culture says is masculine or feminine. So... it's impossible to "emasculate" the modern male, because if culture is moving toward a more spectral view of gender, then that's just the new normal. There are those who felt women working or voting was abnormal, but it was just society growing and becoming less discriminatory. So too is the "emasculation" of males. It's really just our society growing and accepting that there are more choices for modern men than the binary box of boys/girls toys that we grew up with. It's all good, it's just freedom. You are still free to love football and work on cars if you're a male, and free to stay home and make delicious meals and raise wonderful children if you're a female... People are just free to do other stuff, too.

Right, just more freedumbs for the freedumb-loving American people.

There is no such thing as evolving in a "healthy way", because this would imply something can evolve in an "unhealthy" direction. That's not how it works, organisms evolve at any given time and in any given place to be as fit and "healthy" as possible in their environment. Evolution has no positive or negative direction, it just happens.

Anyway, social changes are not evolutionary; they're social changes. And scientists don't agree with you at all; the distinctions between male and female are greater than mere genetalia. Do you really think that just prefacing your argument with "Scientists agree that....", your post is somehow given legitimacy?
edit on 18-5-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc

originally posted by: SKMDC1

Right, just more freedumbs for the freedumb-loving American people.

There is no such thing as evolving in a "healthy way", because this would imply something can evolve in an "unhealthy" direction. That's not how it works, organisms evolve at any given time and in any given place to be as fit and "healthy" as possible in their environment. Evolution has no positive or negative direction, it just happens.

Anyway, social changes are not evolutionary; they're social changes. And scientists don't agree with you at all; the distinctions between male and female are greater than mere genetalia. Do you really think that just prefacing your argument with "Scientists agree that....", your post is somehow given legitimacy?

I notice you simply said "scientists don't agree with you at all" and apparently think that somehow gives your post legitimacy. Let's provide some sources:

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.

American Phsycological Association

The differences between male and female sexes are anatomical and physiological; "sex" tends to relate to biological differences.

Gender tends to denote the social and cultural role of each sex within a given society.4 Rather than being purely assigned by genetics as sex differences generally are, gender roles are adhered to as an (often subliminal) response to family interactions, the media, peers and education.

Medical News Today

Your sex is largely determined at birth. You can be biologically male (penis and testes), biologically female (vagina and ovaries) or biologically intersex (genitalia are either ambiguous or fall somewhere along the continuum between male and female). But that is all sex is: a biological expression of one’s chromosomal makeup.

Gender, on the other hand, is different. Our culture operates on a gender binary — that is, a system in which there are only two options, usually polar opposites. One or the other (i.e. black/white, fat/skinny, rich/poor, man/woman). For gender, we have cultural assumptions that, based on someone’s assigned sex, they are either a man/masculine or a woman/feminine, leaving many people feeling marginalized.

Sex vs Gender (University of Wisconsin)

Doctors and scientist really do agree on exactly what I said, regardless of whether you do or not. I apologize for using the term "evolving" instead of social change. You are right about evolution not having a "healty" or "unhealthy" path. I guess what I was trying to say is the evolution of humans toward a non-binary gender system seems to be affecting a "healthy" social change when it comes to gender identity.

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join