It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The emasculation of the modern male

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I am sorry to hear about your childhood. I think that masculinity has nothing to do with cowardly beating up on people, and I hope that the people that abused you either were reformed or got what they deserved.

I don't mean to get too personal, but how old are you? Have things changed where you lived regarding allowing this type of behavior, or is it still this bad. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I graduated highschool in rural Pennsylvania in 2002, and we had bullies, but there were just as many people that stood up to them. By the time we had graduated, no one feared these bullies anymore, and they were basically ostracized.

We did not have gangs, and I can only imagine how difficult that must have been to deal with.

However, I do not believe that the response to gang violence is to rob all boys of their masculinity, and to treat them as defective girls. Punish the individuals that are enacting violence, and kick them out if necessary. But refusing to allow boys to have interests in things like competition or action, and medicating them to make them calmer like girls is not acceptable.

In the United States, academia has made a boogie man out of the patriarchy, and part of that is shaming masculine behavior. It is bad enough that this occurs at the collegiate level, but now it is being indoctrinated at the very earliest areas of school. We are creating generations of people that feel masculinity is bad, and drugging those that won't conform. This is child abuse and bigotry. That is how I feel men are being emasculated in this country.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I am thirty one years of age, and left the school system at age sixteen, whereupon I went to college to resit my exams after a one year refresher course. Things were bad enough in senior school that I could not concentrate on my studies, because I had to watch my back more than the blackboard.

Now, things are different these days, where I live at least. Kids like my son, are far less likely to encounter the sort of insanity, the kind of day stay gulag existence that I did during a school day. But that might not be the same story you hear from a kid elsewhere in the country, like inner cities for example, or up north. I have no experience of that however, nor any anecdotal, third or second hand data to provide on the matter.

As I said, I quite agree with the main thrust of your post. It should be absolutely fine for a boy to be a boy. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a fools errand, especially where the development of the young is concerned.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

We should avoid taking advantage of lesser combatants ,THAT is a complaint I AGREE with.
However if one inserts his or her self into a position of fighting in order to demand a change in behavior that the superior combatant doesn't agree with AND attacks said combatant, that is on them.
There IS an attempt to rewire the US that I have been at war with since this liar was elected.
WE NEED a better one .

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

i agree i never use my fighting skills to take advantage of lesser skilled, only to teach them through friendly sparing, that being said if its not a sparing match one doesn't know there opponents skill level till after the fight, unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

OUR Senseis should have taught us NOT to do that in the beginning of our training( MINE sure as hell did)
Maybe even defend if the situation ids clear.
I cry at TV and movies all the time,in my attempt at being human.
I was raised NOT to cry so it is embarrassing ,but not to do so ,would make me sick.
I saw how some were treated as victims when I was a kid and became existentially angry about it.
I felt that the Army would be a good fit rather than going off on some poor shlub with a big moth and larger ego.
I accidentally got into it when I was both angry and drunk. I hurt the other guy ,it was a prideful act so I am not pleased but HE opened up with a spinning kick to my face in South Korea....I REALLY don't like getting slapped or hit in the face.
I can STOP it when I'm sober of course(MOST of the base types aren't that smart) I can usually talk things down.
But this LATEST wave of propaganda WILL not go unanswered so help me GOD ,I will FIGHT my war.
edit on 27-4-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
As a left wing male who has had two very feminist girlfriends why do I not feel emasculated. I avoid fist fights whenever I can. My good looks just aren't worth jeopardising to prove some Neanderthal instincts are still alive.

Unless they are protecting traditional things which you are guaranteed to have your left blood boiling I guess.....

Probably only scrap when you know you will win too............

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
It's more about being in control of your own life, your own emotional responses.
Sometimes the way you feel means that you have to act in a way that will have consequences, whether that means getting into a fight or getting in strife at work.

I would argue that if you have to lash out at someone, whether violently or not, that you aren't in control of your emotions or your actions.
edit on 27-4-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: SprocketUK
It's more about being in control of your own life, your own emotional responses.
Sometimes the way you feel means that you have to act in a way that will have consequences, whether that means getting into a fight or getting in strife at work.

I would argue that if you have to lash out at someone, whether violently or not, that you aren't in control of your emotions or your actions.

You are missing my point or perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

If someone wrongs you, it's better for your own mental health to call them on it.
This will often have consequences because people are often useless at handling criticism or being told they are simply in the wrong.

This can often lead to someone taking a swing at you, that knowledge makes a lot of people keep quiet and feel miserable.

If you get past the fear of conflict, you will feel the freedom of never having to bottle stuff up.
Though sometimes being a straight talker will lead to you ending up in a fight or some such but it will also make you more able to take criticism on the chin.
edit on 55pThu, 28 Apr 2016 02:17:55 -050020162016-04-28T02:17:55-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Having any buttons one could push on you is the greatest weakness of all there is no gender bias to this distinction of which I speak.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Having any buttons one could push on you is the greatest weakness of all there is no gender bias to this distinction of which I speak.

We all have buttons even if we might not recognise them yet.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Right, but sometimes its not about having buttons, it's about solving situations, and dialogue is the best option to start with. But dialogue does fail.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Generalities only does oneself favors in a lumping like youve a whole army of everyone behind you... nice stance

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

at that point in time its best to leave others to their own path of chosen ignorance...

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Generalities only does oneself favors in a lumping like youve a whole army of everyone behind you... nice stance

Sorry, totally not getting that. can you try and put it over a different way?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

So if you are in a situation where you are about to be robbed or mugged, have no one around to help you, you fall to your knees and beg for your life, hoping to reach a common sense? C'mon...

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Been in that situation, practice is practice for both them and myself.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

yes grab the leading arm pointing ignorantly pull their momentum forward and put your hip into their leading leg as you bend over going whats that? and its them on the ground... that goes over quite nicely yes?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

mate, this isn't making me think you are some sort of all knowing guru which I'm guessing is your intention.

You aren't making any sense at all. Just sounding like a bit of a tit.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If you feel emasculated then join a martial arts dojo, play a sport, or hit the gym. Better yet do 6/12's of demolition like I used to do. That will put some hair on your chest. There's no excuse.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I do believe that is the natural reaction of most people in that situation. I've never been mugged but I like to think I'd tell them to go to hell & risk getting stabbed than begging for mercy.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join