It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The emasculation of the modern male

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So I've been wondering lately about culture and masculibity. Recently in another thread on suicide a member brought up the emasculation of what I can only call manliness in modern culture and I'm wondering... Is stopping people from getting into fist fights really good for us?

I know this isn't PC and it may sound crazy at first but let's take a deeper look.

There is something to he said in my experience about a man whose willing to honestly stand in front of you during a disagreement and choose to fight you one on one. I have respect for someone who will do that. I'm not talking cheap shots I'm not talking gang wars.

I think its part of being a man to get this violent aggression out of your system especially in your early 20's and its my belief that when we try to get that out of our culture we are creating even bigger problems.

Let's take for instance a community of poor people. Kids are taught violence is wrong their entire life but in these same communities we have the biggest problems of violence. It is my belief that by surpressing these NATURAL instincts in young men we are seeing an upswing in gang activity and violent outburst with guns.

I think not allowing young boys and men the freedom to scrap is having a detrimental effect on Americas youth.

Obviously i am not advocating violent but I would like to start a discussion on this topic. I can he swayed in either direction.

So let's start here and see how the conversation evolves. I may let the thread run a little.
edit on 4/25/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I realized I struggled getting this point across but I'm on a train with little sleep and I think some of you may help me out here.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I have been watching a lot of old-western type shows and ways of doing
things back then.You can't do anything anymore without the possibility
of a lawsuit.
I think getting involved with physical activities can release some of this
pent up male aggressive behavior.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I've never had an issue with a dust-up from time to time. In my youth, I've had my rear handed to me more times than I can count, I also got a jab or two in there though.

I think there's something to be said for letting a little aggression out now and then.

It teaches that you don't always win. It teaches you to be kind in victory. It teaches that violence, no matter how benign, is silly. It teaches that even our worst enemies can end up being our best friends on occasion. It teaches that actions have consequences.

But we don't teach that anymore. And look at us now.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I believe you confuse ideals with instincts..

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I don't think the "fist fight" analogy is a good one to use. However, any primitive/aggressive/gentlemanly type traits that are inherit to those who "identify" with the male gender are now frowned upon by a certain subculture in todays society? Instead, men seem to be emasculated for no other reason other than they do not act feminine!

That's my take on the insanity!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Exactly.

Well said.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Right that as well. Totally agree.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PanPiper

I believe you confuse ideals with instincts..

Should we deny our instincts and reward mechanisms?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

yes men are getting weaker physically and mentally, and i personnely try and spar when ever i can as to keep my self tested, but at the same time find myself talking myself out of real confrontations for many reasons, when i really do fight someone, the whole "honorable" way of fighting goes out the window, i go for blood and disabling, and cheap shots are my forte. Thats is one point i want to bring up I dont know were this culture of "fair fighting" came into play i think we have as a society have watched too many movies. For instance when I am "talking" my way out of something not only is it self preservation, but also creating moments of advantage, so during a verbal altercation as im talking down whomever, i create and identify moments when i can sucker punch someone as to win. To me fighting is about exactly one thing, winning. and i will do anything to win, if it means out-smarting, out fighting, or out wordsmithing, my only job is to win and in doing do so self preserve. Testing myself is an extra perk.

Another reason to talk instead of fight is simple, less chance of law interaction, and less chance of death, also when one does fight you never know how many friends your opponent haves until its to late, so again it goes to self preservation.

But I do agree we should fight more maybe we can start learning something about our selfs and test are limits, and in the end toughen up, because this millennial generation is a bunch sad weaklings

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Maybe the aggression is not just about aggression. What is always being withheld? Sex.
Sex is natural and it is secret in humans and hard to come by - clothes are worn and there is no sex happening in the streets. Of course not - we are civilized!!

In the Bonobo (a primate) world there is no warring or conflict - it is all settled with sex - it chills the males out.

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I do believe were headed to a scenario from a 1987 movie

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I was just stating the obvious, in society we should control our instincts.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I think its part of being a man to get this violent aggression out of your system especially in your early 20's and its my belief that when we try to get that out of our culture we are creating even bigger problems.

Than you say this...

Obviously i am not advocating violent but I would like to start a discussion on this topic. I can he swayed in either direction.

It does sound like your advocating for violence though, your speculating that because men are suppressing their aggressive side it's causing more problems for society. Could you elaborate more on what exactly those problems are because to me it seems like a lame a excuse to continue to allow violent behavior to exist..

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Violent instinct is fueled by disparity. I find the natural inclination towards violence in humans unnatural & disdainful. It is only because we have great needs in order to merely exist & we are always on the brink of survival that we even have the manifestations of violence, but in an egalitarian society between all humans (of which we have never seen) violence would be unnecessary.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I agree but think it goes further than just fighting , we are being socially engineered.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

The suicide rates, population decline, increase in mass shootings, more subtle aggressiveness such as in treating your employees like crap, in business.

I think a lot of these issues stem from insecurity which is totally eliminate through fighting.

I know that after being a professional fighter I am the least inclined to act aggressively towards another and yes that is the majority you only hear about the minority. I also have more confidence stronger will and I'm very very compassionate.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

I believe we are naturally predatory animals and that by denying that part of ourselves we are manifesting that instinct in more subtle ways as stated above.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Oh no they got gortex!

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I agree with a lot of what the op says. For me I see the classical male erroding as siciety emasculates the definition of what it means to be a man.

I see a problem when men dont know how to work with their hands or do physical labor. Where men dont know how to use tools or frame a wall or swing a hammer. When men dont know f all about their environment and cant name the plants around them of telk you which direction they are standing. Where men are flimsy and built fir show and not to go. Where their fashion is more important that their skill sets. Where guys cant fish ir hunt or track or navigate the woods. Where guys are afraid of mild physical pain. Where guys have no I terest in learning how wrapons work or how to defend whats important to them. Where guys hide their opinions to not offend everybody and never speak their mind from a mans perspective. Its all really sickening to me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join