It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Russia Denies Pending Missile Deal With Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov, visiting in Washington yesterday, denied that any talks were under way for Syria to purchase Iskander-E or SA-18 missiles from Russia. The issue was not rasied during his discussions with GW Bush and senior US administration officials. However, Ivanov also stated that 'There are no limitations whatsoever on the shipment of those missiles to any foreign countries."

www.globalsecurity.org
Ron Synovitz, Prague, 13 January 2005 (RFE/RL)- U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Washington would be unhappy if any such deal was agreed. "We've seen reports of the sale. The U.S. policy on this is very clear," boucher said. "We're against the sale of weaponry to Syria, against the sale of lethal military equipment to Syria, which is a state sponsor of terrorism. And we think those kinds of sales are not appropriate. The Russians know about this policy. They know about our views."

Hughes said he is puzzled as to why Syria would need to purchase Iskander-E missiles from Russia, considering its own weapons development programs. "The Iskander-E -- 'E' standing for 'export' -- is a short-range ballistic missile. Its advantage over other missiles that Syria has at the moment is that it has greater accuracy -- a better guidance system. But I can't see why the Syrians would want that when they are already developing a [more accurate SCUD called the] SCUD-D ballistic missile," Hughes said.

Hughes said a deal for SA-18 antiaircraft missiles would make more sense, in the context of recent Israeli air strikes on Syria and the dilapidated condition of Syrian air defenses. "The SA-18 is a man-portable surface-to-air missile -- easy to deploy and not easy to track because, as I say, they are man-portable," he said. "Troops can carry them in the field, so there are no fixed positions. So it might prove a threat [to Israel]. What has happened is that the Syrian Air Force has been badly depleted in the past decade or so. And the Syrians have invested in their air-defense systems. And this would just be an augmentation to that."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With the US and Isreal already having issued a warning to Russia over this sale, it comes as no surprise that Russia is officially denying it. US/Israel concerns focus mainly on that SA-18 missilies could end up in the hands of Palestinians on the West Bank, which would threaten Israeli flights over the territory. But recent talks of the US considering limited strikes against exiled Baathists in Syria raise another possible reason for concern over the sale, which could then threaten US planes as well.

Related News Links:
www.rferl.org
tvnz.co.nz
www.drumbeat.mlaterz.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Russia to sell defense system to Syria
US warns Russia on selling missiles to Syria

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Why deny it and then say this?

However, Ivanov also stated that 'There are no limitations whatsoever on the shipment of those missiles to any foreign countries."

So, he is saying that even if they were selling these defense systems it would be legal....

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yes muaddib, exactly, and that's one reason I thought I'd shoot this right on over here as news. I thought that was rather suspect.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I don't trust the Russian goverment! there up to something..

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Talking to my brother last night ( He lives in Rzhev, Russia ) I asked him if there had been any news about this in the daily Kommersant, which there was. And there is no denial of selling the Iskander-E to Syria, in fact Israeli & Russian foreign ministers have lately been in open talks about such an event occuring. Also I doubt that these delivery will be cancelled or stalled in anyway, even if America puts the ' Pressure ' on. Seeing how Syrian President Bashar Assad is due to visit Russia on January 24-28, most likely to push forward the deal.

That just shows the difference in Media between Russia & America.

The newspaper said Moscow planned to sell Iskander-E missile complexes to Syria. The missiles can destroy targets up to 280 kilometers (175 miles) away and would put all of Israel's territory - including the Dimona nuclear center in the Negev desert - in jeopardy, according to the Kommersant report.

Also I've read quite a few articles stating no denial of the deal between Russia & Syria, and also from what my brother has told me. Also this is the first western article I have seen on the matter.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
So what US is going to do now, if Russia goes ahead with the deal.

Any thoughts? I guess the administration could attack Syria but can we attack now Russia for no obeying US?

After all after reading on post by the war happy people in these boards they pretty much think US can wager war all over and still come victorious.

So what you people think.

Kenshin do you think Russia will go over the wishes of the US?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
No, Russia does not have to ' obey ' America in anyway. How ridiculous. Russia, if forced into confrontation with America, could wipe America off the face of the earth, as America could do to Russia. There is absolutely nothing America can do about this, legally, but if they feel threatened enough I do not doubt for a second that they will not go to war with Syria. As for Russia the most they can do is impose my sanctions, if any at all. I doubt they would risk any thearter of war with Russia. Nor Russia with them.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Maybe you folks are right. I see the Russian's statements different.

This is a upfront 'I told you so' for sales to Iran.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It's funny how we as americans can go around policing the world, Iran can't have this, syria can't buy that, yet as we continue to be the world's largets producer, retailer and developer of chemical, biological, conventional and nuclear weapons.

If I were Putin, I'd say "Well George, tough titty. Thanks for creating a demand in Syria for defense capabilities though."

To which George would reply, "Hey, but we're america, we got attacked (maybe by terrorists), you can't support terrorism unless we subsidize it damnit..."

Then I can hear Syria saying, "Well, you guys sold Israel nuclear capabilities, and they kill more people than we do, why don't you bomb and occupy them?"

Then some rabbi covers the microphone and says, "You don't have to answer that George. That isn't Kosher..."

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Actually I think, not to sure, that Russia are the largest developer of Chemical and Biological weapons. As for Nuclear weapons, I have no idea, Russia has recently stepped up remobilisation of Nuclear weapons so, maybe Russia.

top topics

join