It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BYU Student Punished By School Officials After Reporting Rape To Local Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

A student at Brigham Young University was punished by school officials after they found out that she was raped. In this case, the issue is that she had sex before she was married, which is against school rules.

In the school's eyes, the issue has less to do with the fact that she was allegedly raped and more to do with the notion that the sex was premarital - even if it was nonconsensual and, by extension, illegal.
BYU Student Punished By School Officials After Reporting Rape To Local Police

This is a tragic case but it is a perfect of example of how "the devil's in the details." We all have to be so careful about where we go and what we agree to (both implicitly and explicitly).

This may sound extremely cruel but the way I look at it is that the woman in the story above was raped twice. The first rape was non-consensual. The second rape was consensual. Let's face it, she agreed to the rules that allowed her to be consensually raped by BYU by paying her tuition and agreeing to their contract. Life is brutal sometimes.
edit on 25-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

And this is why religion or any notion of dogma needs to stay the hell away from our higher learning institutions. This is just dogmatic oppression, something I condemn whenever I see it, wherever I see it. I hope this woman is not shamed or guilted anymore than she already has been. What a failure on the university involved, shame on them and their virgin cults..

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm sure she didn't sign a contract that said "I will not allow myself to be raped or molested. If rape or molestation occurs, I am the sole punishable party and will abide by the punishments deemed suitable."

If she took this to court she would undoubtedly win.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Reminds me of those stories you hear where a rape victim is murdered because she bought "dishonor" to the family by being raped.

It is morally unacceptable to turn a victim into a criminal simply because an "honor code" is at odds with common sense.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

This may sound extremely cruel but the way I look at it is that the woman in the story above was raped twice. The first rape was non-consensual. The second rape was consensual.

What? I didn't read anything about a second rape in the article, let alone that it was considered "consensual". Who determined that, and why?

edit on 25-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Who raped her?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Is she being punished for the rape or for something else?

I think there's a lot more to this story than we're being led to believe, but that won't stop people from tripping over themselves to be the first to s# all over the Mormons.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Guten Morgen-

After interviewing close to 100 victims of rape and/or other sex crimes during My time in the Detective Bureau, this just goes to show You the (V) in many of these cases also get abused AFTER the degrading act itself. This is absolutely PATHETIC that any (V) would have to put up with anyone having the guts to report it. More than half of that above 'close to 100' victims told Me that there were also times that they didn't report the crime out of fear of either retribution or because it was a family member doing the perpetrating.

Now for this alleged (V) to get dragged through the mud on this is 'just not Cricket'.

It should also be noted that 'some' that work 'TheJob' (police) get jaded or lazy. They'd rather sluff it off and let someone else do their job. These are the guys the work 'patrol' yet every 'traffic stop' is a fishing expedition..

I'd also be curious how they were able to fit "consensual" and 'rape' into the same sentence. Ergo, an actual rape cannot be 'consensual'

Edit: Like I typed.. "rape" and "consensual" do not and cannot be used in the same legal definition of "rape"

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: added definition of rape.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Is she being punished for the rape or for something else?

I think there's a lot more to this story than we're being led to believe, but that won't stop people from tripping over themselves to be the first to s# all over the Mormons.

Wow really? Just... wow. I'm pretty sure this school deserves to get # on as you say, whatever denomination it may represent.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

Just a question. From my reading of the article, it sounds like there was more going on.

But if you want to jump to conclusions without having all the facts, so be it.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

From my reading of the article, it sounds like there was more going on.

Yes. It looks like they're digging around, looking for evidence that "she asked for it" or "deserved it", for some long forgotten violation that she may or may not have committed prior to getting herself raped!

As the article said, the school has not told her what violation she may, or may not have, committed. If she was found in violation previous to her rape(s), she should have already been made aware of her probation.

Otherwise, this is just fishing for info to impugn the victim's integrity.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

You've got to read between the lines.

The second rape was by BYU, when the school decided it was perfectly within it's bounds to punish a rape victim for committing the unforgivable sin of having premarital sex during the course of being raped.

The consensual part being she agreed to the abide by the school's honor code.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What a crock!!! The truth is bad enough... why are they making stuff up?

She was investigated for inviting a member of the opposite sex into her apartment/room in violation of the honor code she agreed to... NOT because she engaged in "premarital sex."

Also not noted in this article is that the police records were illegally turned over to the university by a rogue sheriff's deputy.

One can posit that the university has no right to demand such in their honor code, based upon our inalienable right to freedom of association, etc., (and I might agree sue to the federal funding the university receives), but stating they are investigating her for the "rape" as "premarital sex" is just not true.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The source, briefly, implies that her punishment is not related to the rape, but to a previous "Honor Code Violation".

It's terrible that she was raped, but someone's obviously twisting her story somewhat.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Kind of hard for a religious university to keep religion out of it, I would think. Nobody who goes to BYU is clueless as to it being a religious institution, or anything that goes along with that.

The investigation into potential honor code violations of the victim's part is at best ill-timed and at worst just plain wrong. But to decry a religious university for daring to have a religious angle is kinda obtuse.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: TechniXcality

Kind of hard for a religious university to keep religion out of it, I would think. Nobody who goes to BYU is clueless as to it being a religious institution, or anything that goes along with that.

That makes sense, & by that reasoning we should fully expect some of the men at these institutions to force themselves on the women there. There's probably a slew of female honors code violators at that school. It must be filled with evil young premarital sexers.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SmurfRider

If you want to take that leap of logic, knock yourself out. Kindly refrain from trying to drag me along on it. At no point in my comment did I say or imply that students at BYU should, or do, expect to be assaulted or raped. You twisted that gem out of my comment entirely on your own.

Intentionally or unintentionally you've utterly missed my point (a pretty simple one: religious universities have religious ideals) and warped it into something else entirely. So no, not by my reasoning. Yours, obviously. Not mine.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Is this actual rape or the much more common deep regret for having sex the previous night? You know that 1 in 5 statistic is FILLED with women who regretted having sex, didn't call it rape, but the people taking the statistics counted it as rape.

originally posted by: JimNasium

Edit: Like I typed.. "rape" and "consensual" do not and cannot be used in the same legal definition of "rape"

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

The current definition used by social justice warriors, the people who came up with the 1 in 5 statistic, and university faculty encompasses things like an unwanted hug.
edit on 25-4-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

BYU should be dismantled, and any funds from the auction of equipment, any patents, buildings, land, etc., should be donated to anti-rape organizations. That would probably REALLY piss them off! My guess is these are the kind of people who believe you can't get pregnant from being raped, unless it is God's Will, in which case, it isn't rape - it's a Blessing from Above.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
There has to be more to this story. There's just no way that this can be correct in the way we are being made to understand it here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join