It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland Settles Lawsuit Over Tamir Rice Shooting for $6M

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

watch the video again... its only 2 posts above and youre saying the suspect walk towards them.. toward a moving car? walk toward them while standing still???
do you not see what everyone see, or at least the people whom gave the family 6 mil...

why did they kill the kid...

ohio is open carry, worst case the guy (who turned out to be a kid and a toy gun) what would be the crime if his gun was out in the open.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

In an open carry state where the guy did NOT fire his weapon.......I would ABSOLUTELY demand they not get there as they did.

According to YOUR logic any open carrying individual needs gunned down cause you know......man with a gun and people near by. Foolish......

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm still split on this case--if you go by the 911 call (if memory serves), it wasn't mentioned that it was or could be a toy gun, and the tip had been blacked out on it. In the video, I can absolutely see where it looks like he's reaching for the weapon.

I'm not sure the officer(s) needed to open fire immediately after getting out, but I'm not sure that I think it's all on the officers, here. I think the city caved to pressures of rioting or worse, otherwise I would have bet that they could have fought this pretty successfully, or at least had a fighting chance. I'd say the same on the family's side...basically 50/50, either way.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Sometimes it is easier to just pay to make a case go away. It can be far cheaper than fighting. Lawyers are adept at doing this scam. Many deep pocket companies rather just pay instead of running up their own legal fees.

For those that don't know, many of these attorneys work on a contingency basis. They get a 1/3rd of the settlement. The game is to file the lawsuit and get to the settlement. It doesn't matter if the lawsuit is bunk. Many companies will just pay because it is cheaper. For example, it may cost the city more than six million in legal fees defending themselves. In addition, it isn't like they can counter sue and get their money back if they do win the trial. Who s going to pay them the money they wasted defending themselves?

This case is just a bad circumstance all around. This wasn't the first time nor will it be the last that a kid with a toy gun is accidentally killed. This is why you don't let kids run around with realistic toy guns nowadays, especially in areas where kids with guns shoot each other for real.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Money talks right and money makes things happen. In almost every case of police misconduct, shooting, excessive force, the case settles out of court for big money.

We, I, always rant about cops that shouldn't be above the law, but I'm thinking things are slowly changing on their own. No police department want's those kinds of pay outs and that should be the impetus for police departments to make real change.

Or...they'll just take that money out of training money. I would hope not.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FaunaOrFlora

Having a gun tucked into the abdomen section of one's waste band is NOT openly carrying a weapon. That's just simple fact. If I carried my firearm like that here in KY without a CCDW license, I could get arrested. That's just simple fact.

Also, you don't have to fire your weapon, or even be holding it, in order to be deemed a threat by law enforcement. That's just simple fact as well.

Look, I get it, there's a 12-year-old who was shot by police who had a toy gun in his waistband--I have a 12-year-old son, and he routinely runs around our house (corner lot, main road near a police station where LEOs drive by ALL THE TIME) with fake guns. But they have the orange tips on them, and he's playing with other kids with them, and I know my neighbors well enough that they know he isn't playing with real guns, and he doesn't tuck them into his waste band, and he certainly wouldn't go to pull it out if police were facing him with guns drawn (because I have had that talk with him multiple times). And I DO NOT let him take those toys down to the park near our house.

So, yes, there is quite a bit of culpability that falls on the city, but also on Tamir Rice and his family. To most who don't have or haven't had a 12-year-old, that may seem to be a young and immature age, but to someone who is raising a 12-year-old who has friends he plays with between 11- and 14-years-old, there's plenty of maturity to know how to handle that situation IF the parent discusses it appropriately.

I see the fault lying at the heels of both the city and the family equally, and there should not be any sort of payout happening without a trial decided upon by a jury, IMO.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

How did people see his gun if he was concealed carrying?

Do you have proof (other than the cops words or a grainy video that kinda looks like it) that he actually was concealing it?

As far as "reaching for it" did the cops roll up yelling to "drop the gun"? If so the cops are 100% at fault for him "reaching for it".....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

How did people see his gun if he was concealed carrying?

Do you have proof (other than the cops words or a grainy video that kinda looks like it) that he actually was concealing it?

As far as "reaching for it" did the cops roll up yelling to "drop the gun"? If so the cops are 100% at fault for him "reaching for it".....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

We, I, always rant about cops that shouldn't be above the law, but I'm thinking things are slowly changing on their own. No police department want's those kinds of pay outs and that should be the impetus for police departments to make real change. .

the impetus to not kill innocent should not be avoiding high priced settlements.
it should be NOT murder innocent children playing.
thats call for change in policing policies . LEO executions need to stop. i wonder how police in countries where LEOs dont carry guns deal with these sort of 'threats'.

i want to see the 'good' samaritan who called the police.... that twhat is still alive with their kids and grandkids. thyell never experience burrying their children... thats the real injustice. a kid loses his life in a matter of seconds...over a frantic delusional good soul locked up watching fox news reports of uneducated blacks with tattoos on their foreheads.

edit on 25-4-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm still split on this case--if you go by the 911 call (if memory serves), it wasn't mentioned that it was or could be a toy gun

oh it was mentioned in the 911 call
why did this story resurface... ruined my week. its only Monday

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Did anyone even watch the video at the press conference explaining why they chose not to indite the officer? They showed frame by frame, zoomed in, this boy turn, step towards the car, lift his shirt with his left hand, grab onto the pistol with his right hand.......

It is tragic yes, but the officers did nothing wrong. As far as the car being to close, that was explained that they tried to stop but the car slid on the ice and snow. The fast response was because of the building full of students and they thought it was possibly an active shooter situation at first. Please view the facts. As far as the lawsuit.. They throw money out regardless of the circumstances, not sure why. Stop rioting? I don't know.

iTruthSeeker

Ohio is an open carry state.

So why the hell are cops shooting first and asking questions later?

Oh... i know cause....black.

Oh great here we go again .. Yes they killed him because he was black. Jesus Christ so let me guess if he was white the officers would of gone "oh hello little man, boy that's a nice a toy gun you got there good job we could tell it was a toy gun Because the dispatchers didn't tell us it could been a toy" pleas stop making this about race ... It's pathetic.

now tell me .. IF the gun was real and the police officer was shot and killed. How many of you would of said 'why didn't the police shoot' law enforcement officers have a split seconds to decide whether a threat is real or not. Yes it's a tragic but why did the boy have the gun in his hand in the first place and why did he not drop it or surrender when the cops showed up?

Sorry but this sort of thing really bugs me. You lot in the US can never get it right. The police shoots someone you all go crazy (you riot if the person is black) ... If someone shoots a cop you all go mad about gun control.

And $6million all because a 12 year old was walkin around with a gun in hand and gets shot? I'm so glad I don't live in the US because you lot are crazy

Just for the record I'm from the UK so any replies to me you can use that as ammo

But as for the user who said he was shot because he was black .. GROW UP. It's people like you that still live in the whole black vs whites world that makes racism worse

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Couldn't of said it better.

But you do know if it went to a trial as to who gets the pay out, it still would of gone to the Rice family because the cops didn't use there psychic powers to determine whether it was a toy gun or not

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

Did anyone even watch the video at the press conference explaining why they chose not to indite the officer? They showed frame by frame, zoomed in, this boy turn, step towards the car, lift his shirt with his left hand, grab onto the pistol with his right hand.......

It is tragic yes, but the officers did nothing wrong. As far as the car being to close, that was explained that they tried to stop but the car slid on the ice and snow. The fast response was because of the building full of students and they thought it was possibly an active shooter situation at first. Please view the facts. As far as the lawsuit.. They throw money out regardless of the circumstances, not sure why. Stop rioting? I don't know.

iTruthSeeker

Ohio is an open carry state.

So why the hell are cops shooting first and asking questions later?

Oh... i know cause....black.

Oh great here we go again .. Yes they killed him because he was black. Jesus Christ so let me guess if he was white the officers would of gone "oh hello little man, boy that's a nice a toy gun you got there good job we could tell it was a toy gun Because the dispatchers didn't tell us it could been a toy" pleas stop making this about race ... It's pathetic.

now tell me .. IF the gun was real and the police officer was shot and killed. How many of you would of said 'why didn't the police shoot' law enforcement officers have a split seconds to decide whether a threat is real or not. Yes it's a tragic but why did the boy have the gun in his hand in the first place and why did he not drop it or surrender when the cops showed up

did you not see the videos. do you think the police yelled drop your weapon.. this is not how the academy trains officers to engage individuals with guns.
how long did it take the police to shoot?
what other methods were used before police opened fire?
let say the police stopped 20 feet away and not speed up inches away from the boy would the outcome have been different?
what if the boy wasn't black would it have been handled differently. YES. (this can easily be proven.)
no you dont have to dig in youtube to find proof...

what actions in this video demonstrated how police do respond to a call?
this was not it.

if i made impulsive decisions like the cops did, what if i went on a tangent when i see something 'threatning'
my body count would rival scarface.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Couldn't of said it better.

But you do know if it went to a trial as to who gets the pay out, it still would of gone to the Rice family because the cops didn't use there psychic powers to determine whether it was a toy gun or not

they should have used training or maybe common sense, or maybe the fact that dispatchers said it may be a toy gun as the good samaritan at least tried to emphasize in the 'frantic' call.

not psychic powers!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Look. I'm the first one to call out black people for the sh $t they pull but even I can read the writing on the wall.

If you can't you're either illiterate or blissfully ignorant........

Take your pick.

edit on 25-4-2016 by FaunaOrFlora because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Full 1 hour long Police press conference breaking it down. I hope the thread is closed after this.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 26-4-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Wrongful death? Perhaps? Criminal? Certainly not. This child had the stature of adults that I know. If a cop pulls up to a call about someone pulling a gun on people in Cleveland... yeah, it might be a shoot first ask questions later scenario. Definitely more so than it would be if a crazy old white person in Vermont were to do the same thing. Are the cops at fault? To some extent yes. To a greater extent, you can blame the parents (please feel free to read up on their shining examples) or even the culture of that area. Even if a child is lucky enough to have two parents that care about him/her, you still have peers who are unfortunately much more influential and media who praise mindlessly violent behavior. I wonder who Tamir idolized more, Neil Degrasse Tyson, his parents, or Tupac. You can't fix it though, so throw a 6mil band aid on it and let it continue. I wonder how many kids, not waiving guns at people, are killed by gang members there every year? Not related, just curious. I'm going to jump way out on a limb and say "more."

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

edit on 26-4-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Full 1 hour long Police press conference breaking it down. I hope the thread is closed after this.

iTruthSeeker

Please tell me you don't see a discrepancy.

www.alternet.org...

If not, then the thread might as well be closed because of closed minds......

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Hmm, I don't think they would of been so quick to shoot if it was a white kid..just what my gut tells me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join