It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland Settles Lawsuit Over Tamir Rice Shooting for $6M

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
A lawsuit asking for money from the City of Cleveland over the tragic Tamir Rice killing has been "settled" for $6 million.

It was a wrongful death suit and the City will pay $3 million this year and $3 million next year.

Apparently there are no criminal charges yet, and this was a Civil suit.

Looks like the big cities can't seem to "justify" the police actions, at least in this case.

Cleveland Settles Lawsuit Over Tamir Rice Shooting for $6M

The city on Monday reached a $6 million settlement in a lawsuit over the death of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old black boy shot by a white police officer while playing with a pellet gun outside a recreation center.

An order filed in U.S. District Court in Cleveland said the city will pay out $3 million this year and $3 million the next. There was no admission of wrongdoing in the settlement.

Family attorney Subodh Chandra called the settlement historic but added: "The resolution is nothing to celebrate because a 12-year-old child needlessly lost his life."

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I like how the city is willing to settle but yet not admit guilt.

You'd think actually settling the thing would be the admission of guilt, otherwise why give them anything?

Hilarious.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

You'd think actually settling the thing would be the admission of guilt, otherwise why give them anything?

Hilarious.

~Tenth

Legally, "admitting" guilt could influence ongoing criminal investigations.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Wow, if that was the excuse..man.

That's just sad.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The insurance co probably wanted to be done with it. Many times it's easier to settle than fight.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

So not only are they de facto admitting it was a wrongful death, but are bribing people with money to cover for the 'damages'.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Hilarious.

~Tenth

Hush money, for 'humanitarian' purposes. Kind of like when politicians are bribed and they call it 'contributing'.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Did anyone even watch the video at the press conference explaining why they chose not to indite the officer? They showed frame by frame, zoomed in, this boy turn, step towards the car, lift his shirt with his left hand, grab onto the pistol with his right hand.......

It is tragic yes, but the officers did nothing wrong. As far as the car being to close, that was explained that they tried to stop but the car slid on the ice and snow. The fast response was because of the building full of students and they thought it was possibly an active shooter situation at first. Please view the facts. As far as the lawsuit.. They throw money out regardless of the circumstances, not sure why. Stop rioting? I don't know.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I like the part where the father was thrown out of the settlement. Adds kind of a nice touch. I wonder if he offered to pay back child support that would help.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Let's pay the family 6 million but ya of course nothing wrong happened....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Let's pay the family 6 million but ya of course nothing wrong happened....

Actually.... I forgot.. The dispatcher did NOT tell the officers that the gun might be a toy... That right there could have changed the outcome. So I do see a winning lawsuit over that. Dispatcher did screw up there.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 25-4-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Hilarious.

~Tenth

When all is said an done the officers will be innocent, and rightfully so. The CCTV video was very hard to watch, but by the officer's reactions it's obvious that the one in the passenger seat, if not both thought it was a real gun.

6m is an insurance policy. Maybe they will riot light when the investigation is over since the family got paid.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
so they kill the kid in 2.5 seconds flat,and some people here still think it was justified.

theres no point in showing youtube videos and differences in police approach to whites vs blacks...
that would be race baiting. ..or pointing out truths in our backyards. ..

this would be outrageous if it was done in gaza or against a Palestinian. human rights violation comments and police and racist cries would be 15 pages long. but in the US , give 6mil for wronful death of a pre teen, and theres still ambiguity in the criminality of the cops actions. nope cops were in the right still... for murdering a kid almost execution style.

just for fun...

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

So I take it you didn't watch the video or read any of the reports.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
a reply to: odzeandennz

So I take it you didn't watch the video or read any of the reports.

i think the entire "internet-country" saw the murderous actions of the cops... over and over. and assaulted his little sister too as she came to her dead brothers rescue... maybe you didnt forking see it.

eta

heres the vid again then. watch his last 30 seconds on earth... at a park, laying head on bench day dreaming, then imagine what went in this kids head as a police car pulls up then he dies

watch as the driver cop kicks his motionless body, and run away...

edit on 25-4-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Well deserved. The video clearly showed how guilty these officers were in shooting that young boy so quickly. Government officials and the rich never admit their guilt because they influence and control our justice system.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Did anyone even watch the video at the press conference explaining why they chose not to indite the officer? They showed frame by frame, zoomed in, this boy turn, step towards the car, lift his shirt with his left hand, grab onto the pistol with his right hand.......

It is tragic yes, but the officers did nothing wrong. As far as the car being to close, that was explained that they tried to stop but the car slid on the ice and snow. The fast response was because of the building full of students and they thought it was possibly an active shooter situation at first. Please view the facts. As far as the lawsuit.. They throw money out regardless of the circumstances, not sure why. Stop rioting? I don't know.

iTruthSeeker

Ohio is an open carry state.

So why the hell are cops shooting first and asking questions later?

Oh... i know cause....black.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

iTruthSeeker

Ohio is an open carry state.

So why the hell are cops shooting first and asking questions later?

Oh... i know cause....black.

The average gunfight lasts around 3 seconds, give or take. That is just a fact. If your car is going out of control, towards a suspect who is walking towards you, drawing his gun, are you just supposed to wait and give him the benefit of the doubt? Again it is tragic this young boy was killed, and the parents should be partly to blame, but when your 3 feet from someone drawing on you, then it is "I better get him before he gets me".

Could the situation have been prevented had the officers been told that the gun was maybe a toy? Probably. But the officers did not know that at the time. Most people take their knowledge of gunfighting from Hollywood. The true dynamics are much different and chaotic.

One more thing. The video being posted here is not the zoomed in, frame by frame evidence of how it went down.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 25-4-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: spell

edit on 25-4-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: edited to add more

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Was it Rice's fault their car was "out of control 3 feet away"?

No.. it was not.

Nor was it the dispatchers fault.

edit on 25-4-2016 by FaunaOrFlora because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Was it Rice's fault their car was "out of control 3 feet away"?

No.. it was not.

Nor was it the dispatchers fault.

It is called ice and snow. So by your logic, police need to take their time responding to a man with a gun, with lots of people nearby? Cops get in trouble for not getting there quick enough, then get in trouble for getting there too quick? Alright. I will no longer respond because again, the facts have been broken down bit by bit. Whether you choose to watch and read them is entirely out of my hands. Have a great day.

iTruthSeeker

<<   2  3 >>

join