It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the name of the style for these sounds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So I've heard these types of sounds a lot. They are what I can only describe as incredibly sleek and CLEAR. Man they're SO clear, probably the highest quality sounds I've heard. You'd probably hear them more for things revolving around technology. I've tried to figure out what these sounds are actually called and what style it is as I'd like to recreate some in Ableton and Logic, but whatever I put in (bells, xylophone, spacious synths, etc) I can never find them. I'm no music producing guru so the jargon for sound styles makes it harder to find them haha.

Does anyone have any idea on what they're called or how you'd go about creating them in such a clear sleek fashion?

I've attached a couple examples for you guys to listen to.

audiojungle.net...
audiojungle.net...

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I believe this style is known as New Age Jon.

Very similar sounds to those that can be found in the music from Enigma and Delerium :

And of course not forgetting this classic which set the New Age trend off :

Similar music of this style can be found here : www.allmusic.com...

Kindest respects

Lag

a reply to: jonwhite866

edit on 25-4-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Link added

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

It sounds like some kind of synthesized percussion, like a glockenspiel, marimba, vibes, or something similar in that category. You'd have to mess with it (changing attack and decay, etc) to get a tight sound like that. I haven't messed with them enough to be certain those sounds would get what you, but I would start there.

Of course, the ambient sounds are just different synth pads, so.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Load an Operator in Ableton. Pull the sustain all the way down in osc A, and set its decay to around 4 ms.
Now you have a blippy sine wave.
We can make it sound a little more metallic by modulating it with osc B.
First, change B's wave to a triangle, or maybe a square d
Then turn its level up to around -24 db. Also adjust B's course to somewhere between 3- 8, and fine, up to 100. Just use your ear to find the tingness you want.
I put a Redux next in Operator's chain, and turned the downsample up a bit.
Then a Reverb with lowcut, like Small Hall preset; then a ping pong delay, adjust to liking.
A compressor at the end, pull threshold down to really bring out clarity.

By playing with the parameters on the devices i mentioned, i was able to find a very similar sound to the one you refer to.
It would be fun to try an Arpeggiator here as well before the Operator to really get those blips flying around.
i

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Mmm, the ambients I'm pretty comfortable on, it's more the beats, clicks and pops that I'm trying to create. This is also a good example.
www.youtube.com...

My main focus is trying to create high pitched beats similar to the ones that start at 00:10 and 00:16 in that video.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

The Reverb is obvious in the Mass Effect song, giving the notes that big space.
The way those notes go up and down might be what you mean, also; that is the work of Arpeggiators. You put in one note or a chord, and the Arp makes it go da da dee da da dadeeda dada dee da, up and down, down and up or whatever.

edit on 25-4-2016 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

That's one sound down, haha! Thank you, this should be a good starting point for me to learn how all the presets work.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I Knew that Oldfield song was familiar -

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

This is what I was going to say. The first thing I thought of was some kind of xylophone which OP obviously said but at the same time I know usually djs and what not usually perform some tweaks to just regular instrumental noises to give them a different sound depending on the type of music they're wanting to achieve.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nthedarksidea69

Right after all, we are talking about tweaking a synthesizer to achieve the sound you want.
The 'xylophone', 'piano', 'horn', or whatever preset is just a synth adjusted to where its sound approximates the sound of a real instrument.
So you could use one of these regular instrumental noises, then turn some dials to find a sound that is unique and to your liking.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I'll have a sift through the instruments and play around with it. Thanks for the help!

new topics

top topics

join