It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones Operating in the UK?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
OK bit of a weird one, Just saw my first (Large) drone flying over a housing estate near where i live. Unfortunately didn't have a camera on me to take any pictures so hoping someone can help identify it from a basic description?

There didn't seem to be any marking on it and i would guess it was flying at sub 500 feet lvl. It had twin tail booms connected together by a "Wing" surface across the top edge. There was a single engine on the rear of the fuselage in a "Pusher" configuration and the fuselage was quite short with a rounded bulbous front end.

It was clearly too big to have been toy used by one of the houses round here, and flying surprisingly low which seemed a bit strange?

So anyone have any ideas how i can narrow down/ find out what type of drone this was?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

The sound it made. Drone engines are smaller and higher pitched than most other aircraft engines. They need to conserve fuel to loiter over target areas longer.

Array of images
edit on 25-4-2016 by intrptr because: link to images

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Aye was pretty quiet. It's engine made a lot less noise for instance that a Cesna or similar from the local aerodrome (Wycombe Air Park)

Just had a look at those images linked. the cross section linking the tailbooms on most of those are too low. This had the "Wing" section across the top edge where as most if not all of those are in the mid to lower part?

Having had another look it seemed close/similar to the second image on this page www.gizmag.com...

edit on 25-4-2016 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2016 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Aye was pretty quiet. It's engine made a lot less noise for instance that a Cesna or similar from the local aerodrome (Wycombe Air Park)

There ya go. They usually fly high up at night, quieter engines are harder to hear at altitude. Ive heard them on occasion on quiet nights, way up, a lone, hi pitched prop, droning on…

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

The RAF and UK are developing several new UAVs, including a couple based on existing designs, as well as clean sheet designs.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The RAF and UK are developing several new UAVs, including a couple based on existing designs, as well as clean sheet designs.

Aye doesn't surprise me that drones are being operated around here given the number of jihadi's this place has turned out, What does surprise me though is that it was so blatant and at low lvl. Would have expected it to be higher up and more covert tbh.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Why? They have to test them, and they test them just like every other aircraft. Just because a UAV is flying doesn't mean that they're actually using them for surveillance on people. The UK doesn't have wide open areas like the US has to take them in the middle of nowhere and keep them away from people so they fly them in areas where they can and will be seen during testing and training.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The raf has got the taranis drone, which looks pretty cool.

I don't think it's the drone the op is looking for

edit on 25-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Taranis was only a technology demonstrator for the nEURON UAV being developed jointly with France. Nice UAV though.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Yippieh, our future is here...

Next time some spyPhone addicted writes an anti government, anti establishment, anti multinational corporations comment on inevitable Facebook, Twitter or whatever "social media", and...

B O O M

Brave New World!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Who knew that flying a UAV means that they're just waiting to blow us up for any tiny infraction.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If it's being flown over an estate it could be police with FLIR looking for grow houses.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
most uk police forces now use drones.the met uses them to search out cannabis factories at night using heat blooms,i no ov one incident last week when a ba 747 landing at heathrow was hit by a small drone made the front pages of the mirror,u can get a good one for under a grand now and there are a coupke of magazines dedicated to it already,any one watched britan by drone on chanell four? some intresting locations hiden from public views

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Could have been anything from a training exercise to testing and maintenance. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: solidshot
a reply to: intrptr

Just had a look at those images linked. the cross section linking the tailbooms on most of those are too low. This had the "Wing" section across the top edge where as most if not all of those are in the mid to lower part?

Having had another look it seemed close/similar to the second image on this page www.gizmag.com...

The give away here is your location. Yes it looks weird but it isn't a UAV. I bet that you saw an Edgley Optica?

There is a privately owned one at Farnborough approx 20 mile south of you. That Optica has previously visited Wycombe Air Park.

www.airteamimages.com...

www.airteamimages.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
thats why the tanaris was tested in australia away from prying eyes as you can see in th vidio a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I get a lot of military aircraft flying along the cliff edge near my house doing low altitude training, quite a sight to see, massive planes flying a few meters off the ground. We also get them airplane/vertical lift/chopper things (I don't know what they are called but they look cool lol) I have seen what I believe to be drones flying the same route on several occasions, they sounded like large model planes but they we're not models as they carried on east to west way out of range of model aircraft radio equipment

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ukgaz
Never know with the spy Roos we have out there

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Or doing some motorway watching maybe - I see that you're near to a notorious accident hotspot on the M40. Have had the pleasure of grappling with this when passing through. Were there any on the day that you saw this drone?

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

There were no windows the whole fuselage was grey, also i always thought the minimum height civi aircraft were allowed to fly was something like ~500 feet or more unless landing or taking off? Am i wrong here? This one looked to be under 500, i would guess at nearer 3-400 feet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join