It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battling the Zika virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is a fascinating article, about using old tyres to combat the mosquitoes causing the Zika virus, using old cut up tyres, their usual breeding ground - genius!

BLT BBC link

In a move that could have far-reaching implications for equatorial countries, Canadian researchers have developed a cheap, effective and non-toxic way to dramatically reduce disease-carrying mosquito populations by using a ubiquitous item that, ironically enough, the pests love to breed in: old tyres. “We are turning a weapon that mosquitoes use against us – old tyres – against them,” says Dr. Gerardo Ulibarri, PhD, an associate professor of medicinal chemistry and eco-health at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario. He developed the device, known as an ovillanta (loosely translated, it’s Spanish for “tyre for laying eggs”), to destroy the larvae of the Aedes, a genus of mosquito that carries the now-notorious Zika virus as well as the dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever viruses.

I hope they get this idea over to Africa as they sure as hell need it there too.

So simple, but it seems to be effective from the results so far.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
mmm, okay, except the tires aren't that easy to cut (especially steel belted ones), and…

After that, users destroy the eggs, pour the water back into the ovillanta (topping it off with fresh water) and install two new landing strips. “It’s important to recycle the water because after the eggs hatch, they release a pheromone into the water that tells other mosquitoes it’s a good, safe place to lay eggs,”

…don't forget to kill the larvae before they hatch. Otherwise, the 'trap' turns into a breeding factory.

Here in the states there aren't as many tires lying about. There are however other reservoirs. Controlling those helps keep the buggers at bay…

Bre eding places around the home
edit on 25-4-2016 by intrptr because: fixed link

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 1984hasarrived

They want you to be scared of zika, want you to keep hearing about it.

following the money, Senator Bill Nelson might have other reasons for proposing the 1.9 Billion in federal funds for Zika Research. Wonder what I'm talking about?

Senator Bill Nelson is calling for an additional$1.9 billion in federal funds to fight the mosquito-borne Zika virus. He calls it a "crisis." Why? As of this morning, the CDC is reporting that the number of people infected by Zika while inside the US is 0. ZERO. Doesn't sound like much of a "crisis" does it?

Time to follow the money. First, we have to ask some questions. What chemicals are commonly used for mosquito control spraying by government entities? A few minutes of research revealed that Pyrethrins are probably the most common. Who manufactures Pyrethrins? It turns out that lots of chemical companies around the world make them, but the big players are 3M, BASF, Bayer, and Merck. So they would likely benefit the most from an increased demand for Pyrethrins. So, how do giant corporations generate artificial market demand? Through government spending, of course. That means lobbyists.

What lobbying firms do 3M, BASF, Bayer and Merck pay to lobby Congress on their behalf? A partial list of those lobbying firms include Akerman LLP, Greenberg Traurig LLP, and Holland & Knight. And, how much has Sen. Bill Nelson received in campaign contributions from the above three lobbying firms in the 2016 election cycle alone? $118,975

So, in about 30 minutes of research, I've answered my own question. Bill Nelson is bought and paid for...And that's why Zika is now a "crisis." And, if I can find that out in a half hour searching public records on the internet, why can't the mainstream media?

Adrian Wyllie's comments on the Zika scare: www.facebook.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

How much you wanna bet that in say, something like 3 years, they'll have a vaccine for this?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So because it's not here yet, don't prepare for it at all? Not everything in a conspiracy, kid.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Copper

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienmma

So because it's not here yet, don't prepare for it at all? Not everything in a conspiracy, kid.

that's not what I'm saying. Also, I'm not a 'kid', so your condescension wasn't appreciated. Did you even read the information I posted? I'd say there is a Clear connection between Senator Nelson and these lobbying firms that represent chem. companies that will be awarded huge contracts for mosquito control.

I'm saying look at the motives behind legislators who want truckloads of money to be invested into the research for this. They exaggerate, chalk it up to be something that going to ruin the health of our country. Just like they did with ebola, more money for CDC and major universities and pharm companies. A lot of that money isn't properly handled and organizations (and individuals) take advantage of this.

I would feel better about 1.9 billion investment into research if it weren't coming from some scumbag who is lining his pockets from the chem. companies that will benefit from it.

edit on 25-4-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
People will always find a way to do something difficult - "necessity is the mother of invention".

Also, tyres are relatively easy to come by, as things are always recycled by people in less developed countries - in Africa I used a couple of old truck tyres for my dogs to sleep in.

But I agree with FamCore that there is a bit of fear mongering involved as well. I have visions of people in the US scrambling to get their hands on old tyres to do this. Keep the populace afraid of everything seems to be the order of the day.

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I bet there is already a cure, but the gov is not saying anything b/c they want our tax dollars and maintain population control

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I read the same theory about malaria in general, many years ago. There is no money it for the drug companies as the main market is Africa and they can't charge stupid prices there for a life saving drug.

a reply to: farmville

new topics

top topics

join