It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Thousands in Georgia finding out they are no longer eligible for food stamps

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:55 PM
a reply to: Komodo

From myunderstanding, there was a time limit on a HOLD that was in place. That hold prevented this rule to take place.

Time ran out. Rule became law again.

Should've read your letters and signed up for community service.

[Edit]: My Home is in Georgia.
edit on 25-4-2016 by ChuckNasty because: As above

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:08 PM
a reply to: dawnstar

Me, too!
I never spray pesticides or use chemical fertilizers either - the yard and lawn are totally organic...from the walnuts to the raspberries, the dandelions to the clover, the roses to the creeping charlie. Healthy worms, even! (Although I won't eat worms....I'll eat grass and leaves and bark, and fish from the river, and nuts and berries first....)

But yeah - we won't starve. I also have several herbal medical encyclopedias, folk-medicine guides, etc.
Mr Wigs is an experienced and skilled game hunter (squirrels, rabbits, deer), and livestock/poultry/animal husbandry guy. Plus a gifted IT guy.
Plus a veteran. We'll be okay.

edit on 4/25/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:16 PM
The same people who whine, people will make blanket statements that all people on welfare are lazy are the same people that whine, but fat people have gland issues.

an exception, is just that an exception.

Go back to Georgia in 6 months and look at the paper. How many obituaries will have 'starved to death after the mean government took away free money'. I will say ZERO

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:08 PM
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

You have a smartphone? Apple or Android? So you thought this was already happening because you had to renew your app??? You have apps on your smartphone and downloaded the update...right? You can afford a few hundred dollars for a smartphone and about $70 per month for the service but need money from us to feed you?

ok .. so ..

Not sure where exactly you're getting this info since I NEVER said ANYTHING about a you're being an smart-ass.

2) The phone I have was given to me generously by my gf at the time~! the one I had before I BOUGHT myself when I had 12 hours a week back then and it was #ty at best, yep a new #ty pre-paid Verizon Android, there out there!

3) I just got taken off the work schedule which I was only able to get 4 hours a week

4) the phone per month is $45 because it's ...yea.. pre-paid ...

5) my resume' is impeccable and have worked for world Corporations for 25 years that I have worked ...50. that's only 7 years of my life that I didn't physically work...yes .. I began work at the age of 7 for my room and board....yes..there are monsters out there, which disguise themselves as 'family'

6) I'm facing a life threatening disease ...

anything else you'd like to know .. if not .. grow up, show up and stop JTC and get you're biased attitude flushed down the toilet, not everyone who posts social issues HAS ONE .. K? but.. you already knew that ..

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:09 PM

originally posted by: dawnstar
after my husband passed, I was told that the only thing they could help with with was food stamps. It took me close to a year to get social security to confirm what I knew for years, that I was disabled. I just couldn't afford the doctor's costs. so that was a long time to go trying to live off of what I could sell in the house.

but, my point is, for some of these people, this might be the only help they are getting, and well, a women who's been a stay at home mother most of her working years and decides to just stay home because hubby's earnings seem to be sufficient might just find herself facing some hard times if her husband happens to pass away suddenly.

I'm sorry, but if can't find it in our hearts to feed our own unemployed poor, regardless of weather or not they have dependents, then we have no business spending millions shipping goats to afghanistan, increasing the sales of hand-knotted Afghan carpet, and all the other insane stuff they spend money on!

It to the wall~!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:11 PM
a reply to: Hecate666

6.Last but not least. You may need welfare one day. Have a university degree? Work in a professional job? Everything is brilliant and nothing could ever go wrong? Make sure you don't fall ill with a degenerative illness. Make sure your insurance is paying out and not declining your share because of [insert excuse by insurer]. Make sure your spouse can look after her/himself if you snuff it. In a perfect world you would have accounted for everything but life isn't that simple. If you lost your job tomorrow, with no chance of ever working again, would you manage to survive? And if not, do you prefer welfare and a roof over your head or the gutter?

Exactly ...~!

was 3 years ago. Entire manufacturing dropped out and was injured on the job .. all chaos ensued~!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:18 PM

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Okay, this is in no way meant to be offensive to you personally, but this is a good thing overall. Yes, there are some that this will affect who are, as the lady toward the end of the video says, struggling to find work while putting forth a consistent effort to do so.

But, I would argue, many, if not most, who will be affected by this change are apathetic people who would prefer to receive their check on the first of the month and not have to work, even if that means living in relative poverty. Hell, many of those who receive said check (or EBT deposit) DO have under-the-table jobs where they don't report their income, and they still get benefits as well...or they have jobs to which the local cops would be more than happy to be privy.

My point being that there are some necessary and appropriate cuts to welfare systems that need to be made. No, they're not all going to be perfect, but those who fall through the cracks during things like this will hopefully make it known and that problem will get fixed. But, whenever it comes to a hard line cut-off of any program, there will always be those who fall through the cracks, and there will always be those unhappy with the changes, and therein lies the problem with liberal (not in the political sense) social welfare programs--once you start them, it's very hard and often painful to whittle away at them.

I'm not saying it's bad .. however..

What I am saying is .. the issue is more complicated than this since the BIGGEST job market loss IS manufacturing and along with it are Accounting, HR, R&D, Shipping/Receiving .. etc.. all the support that comes with manufacturing !!

and to blindly remove people struggling to find work .. which I WAS, and suddenly found out life just became more real, than just having a job, is irresponsible to say that least .. and will cause such grief, heartache and seething anger from those who are honestly looking for work, that ...well .. suffice it to say ...the government(s) are creating THE "Zombie Apocalypse" just without the zombies and will soon turn into something more near to "Road Warrior"...why .. ?

Simple .. Ever Go without food and water for 3 days ?? Yeah,'s like that ..!

ETA: Portland, OR is currently in a state of emergency for homelessness.. HUGE amounts of people that are stuck ..due to high rising rents...hmmm...i most certainly HOPE that not one of those will go hungry .. cuz' .. if all 50k(?) homeless in PO go searching for food .. it won't be good
edit on 25-4-2016 by Komodo because: because I must

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:27 PM

originally posted by: Vector99

So they cannot find work. You mean to tell me they also can't join a job training program, or do volunteer work?

Hard time finding any sorrow in this case.

you're ...

Assuming ....

been through ALL of this training .. but in the end .. not everyone gets to live in the big city and in America.......manufacturing jobs ARE NOT available...only for selective few .. but you knew this already right .. or no??

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:35 PM
They cut off 200,000 disabled elderly and veterans from food stamps in my state a year ago. I'm one of the people that got cut off. Now the state is bragging that food stamp numbers have dropped.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 12:11 AM

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: dawnstar

Believe it or not, I do an annual survey of my yard and we do have plenty of edibles...many people don't, however. We are also in an area with plenty of deer, squirrels, birds, rabbits, fish, etc. We will not starve.

Others might - depending on where they live, and how over-worked or poisoned their 'yard' is.

I recently looked into what it would cost us to have a Small Game permit where we live, we have ample rabbits around here. Thing is, a local ordinance prohibits killing said small animals on property within city limits. They may also be trapped & subsequently relocated elsewhere ONLY by licensed professionals. So that whole idea of just kill & eat what wanders through is a big fat BZZZZ -- NOPE for some, if not many, people.

Also, to the dillweed who thinks moving away from a rock & hard place is cheap, easy & people will drop everything to help? ROTFL, clueless git. BTDT, took my grandmother inheriting money to move her & my family across the country to greener pastures. Moving is NOT cheap, pal, what universe are you from? If that loaded great-aunt hadn't left money to her, we'd still be SOL in a craptastic state.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 04:43 AM

This has been in the administrative rules in Hawaii for years now. Even if you have dependents you need to work or volunteer. I don't know if they enforce this rule or not.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:42 AM
I work in an area that is very poor. Most of my patients have Medicaid, a lot of them even have medicaid and Medicare. Medicaid is a joke, when I bill a prescription that costs 1200 and the patient is upset that they have to pay 50 cents (legally I can't demand the 50 cents either, I have to give it to them if they refuse) then something is wrong with the system. What bothers me the most is that regular commercial insurance will routinely not cover the drugs that medicaid will cover. Let's say for example a person with regular insurance brings in a prescription that is brand name only but there are effective drugs in the same class. The commercial insurance will tell us either not covered or prior authorization required. If it is a medicaid patient... Paid claim. It never fails and most of you have no idea how much money is wasted by medicaid. It is truly insane

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 09:18 AM

originally posted by: Psychonautics
I don't need to walk in anyone else's shoes, I have a legitimate disability, I'm stuck with extremely expensive housing options ( I currently pay $1660 rent per month for a typical two bedroom, not counting electric ) I work two jobs and do everything in my power to get things done, even on days where my back pain is enough to make someone keel over in pain, because it's life, it's tough, it's survival.

So are people wrong to want life to be easier? Life isn't supposed to be endless toil and suffering. The whole point of our current system is that you're supposed to be comfortable if you contribute to society. We're also supposed to take care of those that can't easily work. If you want to suffer, that's great but I see it as a huge blemish on our record that not only do you have to work to keep a roof over your head, but that you're conditioned to want to suffer.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:40 PM
I guess all of Obama's hope & change drivel turned out to be bull crap. I am sure the fines that they will get for not being able to afford his mandated health care coverage will pull them out of their dilemma. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 02:48 PM
a reply to: Aazadan

We all want our lives to be easier.

Where you an I part company apparently is where I want to make my own life easier and you want someone else to do it for you.

I was taught that no one else owes me anything.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:04 PM

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: queenofswords

well, one kid has been going to college through his vet's payments, the other son, well, he's been working off an on, construction, only one employer hasn't yet paid him, and the other, well, didn't really work him more than part time. as far as the job training, I am not sure it would help that son, his income is low, but it's also not enough for him to support himself, so, and well, there's been months where his little bit of income made a difference here, but I think they'd consider all of our income and just deny him on that. he's got a good job at the moment, hopefully it will continue.
and well, next week I will be getting survivor's social security payments, which will be enough for me to hold my own. But, that's been over a year with next to nothing for most of it and not really enough to keep a roof over my head the rest of the time.

and no, I kept telling my kids not to have kids till they are able financially to take care of them, and they listened.... now, I don't think I will ever have grandkids!

Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel for you. Sometimes the hills and valleys of life can be like a roller coaster, especially if you linger too long in those valleys. The uphill climb can seem slow and arduous.

I know a young couple going through one of those "valleys" right now, and it makes it extra hard financially when they are both smokers and spending almost $500 per month on cigarettes alone.

Just look at the positives. I doubt very much you will have to put your hand in your pocket for the smokers pension..This is how i see it. A non smoker could live to 100+ that's 40 years of old age pension the tax payer has to fork out for. A heavy smoker on the other hand probably wont see pension age. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

oh and a Heavy smoker contributes 100% more in Tax on his/her cigarettes than a non smoker.

edit on 26-4-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:07 PM

First of all, I've never minded helping out those who are at least trying, until they get on their feet. It's the people that refuse to even bother trying that piss me off.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:14 PM
a reply to: damwel

I don't know where you live, but in NW Louisiana, his statement rings true. Half the CSR's where I work are on food stamps because they sell them for cash. None of them drive a ghetto sled.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:17 PM
a reply to: MOMof3

Or, if you don't over analyze with hateful bias towards Republicans, it could just be that they want to give people an incentive to work and not sit around picking up a check every month.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:34 PM

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Aazadan

We all want our lives to be easier.

Where you an I part company apparently is where I want to make my own life easier and you want someone else to do it for you.

I was taught that no one else owes me anything.

It's not about having someone else do it for you. It's about there being much more efficient ways to run society. Tax rates don't impact quality of life at all (seriously, go compare high vs low tax nations like Norway vs Singapore), and all tax money taken to give people basic incomes goes right back into society through being spent. It's literally free to do, boosts the economy, and gives people additional opportunity/freedom.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>