It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands in Georgia finding out they are no longer eligible for food stamps

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

Thanks for that explanation; I hadn't been following the reasons for this change.

My guess................Hilary will be using this to promise more SNAP benefits if she's elected and come election day, the Vote Plantation School buses will be rounding up the "more free stuff" crowd to stuff the ballot boxes for Hilldog.

Oh well......................they got their Obamaphones, maybe Hillary will give out free weed? 8 years is a long time.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

well, one kid has been going to college through his vet's payments, the other son, well, he's been working off an on, construction, only one employer hasn't yet paid him, and the other, well, didn't really work him more than part time. as far as the job training, I am not sure it would help that son, his income is low, but it's also not enough for him to support himself, so, and well, there's been months where his little bit of income made a difference here, but I think they'd consider all of our income and just deny him on that. he's got a good job at the moment, hopefully it will continue.
and well, next week I will be getting survivor's social security payments, which will be enough for me to hold my own. But, that's been over a year with next to nothing for most of it and not really enough to keep a roof over my head the rest of the time.

and no, I kept telling my kids not to have kids till they are able financially to take care of them, and they listened.... now, I don't think I will ever have grandkids!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Your flat out lying by telling us people won't work for 25$ an hour where I'm from that's a fantastic wage.

Liar liar pants on fire.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

well, one kid has been going to college through his vet's payments, the other son, well, he's been working off an on, construction, only one employer hasn't yet paid him, and the other, well, didn't really work him more than part time. as far as the job training, I am not sure it would help that son, his income is low, but it's also not enough for him to support himself, so, and well, there's been months where his little bit of income made a difference here, but I think they'd consider all of our income and just deny him on that. he's got a good job at the moment, hopefully it will continue.
and well, next week I will be getting survivor's social security payments, which will be enough for me to hold my own. But, that's been over a year with next to nothing for most of it and not really enough to keep a roof over my head the rest of the time.

and no, I kept telling my kids not to have kids till they are able financially to take care of them, and they listened.... now, I don't think I will ever have grandkids!

Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel for you. Sometimes the hills and valleys of life can be like a roller coaster, especially if you linger too long in those valleys. The uphill climb can seem slow and arduous.

I know a young couple going through one of those "valleys" right now, and it makes it extra hard financially when they are both smokers and spending almost $500 per month on cigarettes alone.

edit on 25-4-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Psychonautics

originally posted by: Komodo
*BEFORE YOU POST, LISTEN TO THE VIDEO~! NOT ALL OF US ARE ABLE TO JUST GO OUT AND GRAB A JOB~TRUST ME, THE RABBIT HOLE GOES DEEPER THAN MOST BELIEVE! PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE PEOPLE WHO ARE STUCK AND DON'T JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS UNTIL YOU HEAR THEIR STORY*

Need some confirmation on this news, it's also being reported on RT New (which, is why I'm requesting confirmation); I knew about 3 months ago this was coming and about 2 months ago, I thought it was already in place since I had to renew my app for EBT, which is odd, since I remember doing it just 3 months before. If this is true and the states/Gov are implementing the rule, then...you can do your own 'math'.

I'm really hoping that this isn't so but......

Not all, but most could get a job.

I lived and worked around these types for a long time.

I will always support cutting the hand outs. I work two jobs to make ends meet, and I have a broken spine from a car accident, it causes pain every day, you don't see me crying and asking for a handout.

WHo would hire you with a broken spine??? Dude apply for disability. get all your medical records first though. sheesh.
As to the stamps. If you are in school,have a kid ,or in proceedings liek i am with disability you are exempt.

Yup, cracked part of my L1 clean off. It's just hanging out now. I just can't lay around all day man, I feel useless, and anyone with back problems will tell you, ya can't lay around all day it just makes things worse, gotta keep moving.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I know a young couple going through one of those "valleys" right now, and it makes it extra hard financially when they are both smokers and spending almost $500 per month on cigarettes alone.

$500.00 a month on cigarettes??? Have they not figured out they can smoke generic? Or lessen the amount they're smoking? Or are they so low in that valley, that smoking is the only important thing in their lives?

I don't get it. When I have been broke in the past and also smoked, food and other basic needs were still higher than smoking. This is a case where addictions mess with priorities which is another reason to become as addiction free as possible. I quit 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Freedom from addiction is empowerment. It gives you more time, more money and often times, more good health.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Election year shenanigans to remind the Kept Voters of what life without a continuation of the Meal Ticket would entail.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: queenofswords

$500.00 a month on cigarettes??? Have they not figured out they can smoke generic? Or lessen the amount they're smoking? Or are they so low in that valley, that smoking is the only important thing in their lives?

I don't get it. When I have been broke in the past and also smoked, food and other basic needs were still higher than smoking. This is a case where addictions mess with priorities which is another reason to become as addiction free as possible. I quit 15 years ago and haven't looked back. Freedom from addiction is empowerment. It gives you more time, more money and often times, more good health.

I have never smoked, so I can't speak from personal experience on this. I do know it is highly addictive and have been told that when faced with a monetary choice of buying a pack of cigarettes or a hamburger for lunch, they most often will opt for the cigs.

The guy told me one time that he spends $14.00 per day on cigarettes.....that's about $420 per month!! I guess she smokes a little bit less.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The sad thing is a pack of smokes costs about $3.50 a pack without taxes. The goddamned government has to get those taxes on everything, though... how else could they feed that Kept Voter pool?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyred

Interesting. Here in Kentucky it was announced a few days ago that about 9,000 to 12,000 adults without dependents and without medical problems will be removed from the food assistance program immediately. It was added that they had ample warning and failed to begin 20 hours a week of volunteer work/job training/part-time work. Is this happening in other states as well?

as far as I know ..yes

Yes it is.. thus the reason I was looking for others that lived around the states that could confirm this...issue.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaxnmarko
Where I live in Wyoming there are 6 pages of help wanted..... but only 4 expensive places to rent, so people commute. Lotsa jobs, no housing.

EXACTLY my issue... !

spent 6 months in Bend, OR.. 6-12 months waiting list, longer if you're a senior !

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Psychonautics

yes.. however..

that all depends on WHERE you LIVE !!! big cities .. yep .. lots of jobs, maybe.. housing...not so much ..

walk in my shoes, reality gets super real and the system is worse that most think it is.. I've paid into it for 40 years.. so yes.. I get the benifit from it ...and SHOULD!

For some of us .. it's a hand UP .. for others .. it's a hand out

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

where I am at, you can get a carton of cigs for under $30....

if you want to go premium, well, be my guest I guess, then ya, you are probably paying that much.

and as far as skipping a meal for cigs, umm... I've skipped lots of meals, so my kids could have meals when they were younger, and I only eat one meal a day, so skipping a meal isn't gonna kill anyone.

link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
And I bet this isn't about balancing the budget or anything either, if true. Gotta make room in the budget for the 'undocumented immigrants' you know.

yes....

I did the math here, although it's not exact due to the demographic data is missing.. but ..for Oregon....

they're saving ...$109, 500,000.00......just say'n.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

the Kansas law perpetuates a long legislative tradition of stigmatizing poor families through costly red tape designed to address vastly overstated “fraud” in the system,

rather than crafting systems that help the poor to join the financial mainstream and effectively limit actual waste inherent in the way assistance is distributed.

Indeed, although the particular details are unprecedented, the Kansas law is just the latest in a litany of punitive policies aimed at reducing “waste” while actually imposing significant costs on taxpayers. The proposed restrictions on food stamp purchases in nearby Missouri are another example, but from fingerprinting in New York to drug testing in Florida to unannounced home visits in San Diego, the daily indignities poor families have to face as conditions of receiving basic assistance date back decades. And each of these hurdles has required significant state resources to implement.

This is from May of last year (2015). The policy is a fail.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Prepare for blanket statements and generalizations to justify a classist bigotry.

Most of the people in this thread can't or wont accept that situations are different for each individual, that's all far too complicated for them, they would rather just go with the blanket statement that everyone claiming any assistance is "lazy".

People fall through the cracks when things like this are implemented, kids are hurt by moves like this, veterans are hurt by moves like this, measures rushed through without any form of consultation by people who can't possibly consider all the ramifications of their actions - but they're arrogant enough to think they know better, or just don't really care about the 10 in every 100 who genuinely need what's now unavailable to them.

I am all for those who can physically work being encouraged to do so, but this is not the way to do it. Measures like this do not last, they do not work, they have been tried before in the 70's, the 80's and the 90's, it didn't work then and it won't work now.

Time, effort and money needs to be spent on curing the cause of this problem rather than punishing those who find themselves living in this problem when it's politically convenient to confront it once again.

you

just

completely

nailed it~!!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Very interesting take on the whole welfare scene. Why should she (them) work ? The girl is smart and well spoken and even makes sense.
youtu.be...

yes... of course ...if people CAN get away with it .. then THEY WILL ~!! LOL

in Washington State, you get 2 years for being on Welfare, but during that time.. you need to start attending classes to find a job .. i know this .. because my ex had to do it LOL.. yea.. she moved back to Oregon to escape the drill .. LOL

but ..

we're not talking about THESE people (video and my ex) I'm talking about REAL people, who have had multiple jobs and the bottom dropped out of the market in one fashion or another .. and now...........

They're stuck!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Maybe we need to point our finger at the Welfare recipients in Wash DC, that collect 3-4 trillion a year in taxes and fees, before we start pointing fingers at these people. Then we can point at the Welfare recipients in every state capitol. Then we point at local governments. It's the welfare recipients in suits and nice clothes that are raping you, not the poor and ambition-less. The latter will straighten itself out, if you address the former.

Thank you Klass~!

completely freaking agree .. !

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyred

Interesting. Here in Kentucky it was announced a few days ago that about 9,000 to 12,000 adults without dependents and without medical problems will be removed from the food assistance program immediately. It was added that they had ample warning and failed to begin 20 hours a week of volunteer work/job training/part-time work. Is this happening in other states as well?

Yes, it is a nationwide thing I think, there was a thread on it a while ago on ATS. For people who are not disabled (and there are a few other exceptions) they only get a few months of food stamps for free, otherwise they have to volunteer or work at least 20 hours a week to receive them. This is

due to the return in many areas of a three-month limit on SNAP benefits for unemployed adults aged 18-49 who aren’t disabled or raising minor children.

More than 500,000 to lose food stamp benefits in 2016
edit on 25pmMon, 25 Apr 2016 15:45:24 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 25pmMon, 25 Apr 2016 15:46:30 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join