It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study claims Africa is poor because of too much diversity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Among other things, yes

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
The problem with Africa is Africans, they are also the solution. They are the only ones at the end of the day that can do or not do the things required to make their continent a better place.

Oh no! See the Chinese are building them things. Of course, I'll bet that when the tinpot dictators of Africa try to seize or otherwise abuse the Chinese works projects the Chinese will tell them where to stick, by force if necessary.

Chinese don't let themselves to feel guilt over imperlialism and never have. Africans are making a deal with the devil.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: TinfoilTP

According to what I learned from the last Vice episode on HBO Africa doesn't like the west meddling in its politics and that's part of the problem.

China is spending billions on African infrastructure and I support then.

I think the power balance is changing in the world.

Don't forget about what China said a few years ago about rebuilding the trade routes there.

If we are smart we will build a better relationship with them. Many Africans are smart just like the Arabs but they are very trival and the western style of governance won't work with any of these countries.

Its time we stop telling them how to run their countries and building trade relations similar in fashion to how China is doing it.

I'd like to travel there and even live there one day.

Are you sure that it is not a case of the Leaders of African nations embracing communism much like the Leaders of Europe are letting in immigrants against their peoples wishes?

All of those African nations have seats at the UN, where they plan things that the peoples have no say in whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

We can have trade relations with then without trying to dictate their political policies.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Well clearly democracy hasn't worked in the middle east and Africa its about damn time we stop trying to force our ways on then.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Among other things, yes

I know you can mark the decline in what gains had been made in Rhodesia, which became Zimbabwe, with the collapse of respect for private property by Mugabe. It used to be the breadbasket of Africa. Now it's nothing.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Brotherman
The problem with Africa is Africans, they are also the solution. They are the only ones at the end of the day that can do or not do the things required to make their continent a better place.

Oh no! See the Chinese are building them things. Of course, I'll bet that when the tinpot dictators of Africa try to seize or otherwise abuse the Chinese works projects the Chinese will tell them where to stick, by force if necessary.

Chinese don't let themselves to feel guilt over imperlialism and never have. Africans are making a deal with the devil.

Considering the fact that the leaders in Africa like the position China has taken with them and that achina is reestablishing the silk road I think China has a vested interests in using the manufacturing base we built for them in a newly formed market.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

We can have trade relations with then without trying to dictate their political policies.

We have human rights standards, nobody is going to trade with them if they use slave labor for example, or use endangered species in their products. Setting standards is not dictating.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Well clearly democracy hasn't worked in the middle east and Africa its about damn time we stop trying to force our ways on then.

Where was there ever a Democracy in the middle east besides Israel? They all have had Kings, Dictators or Absolute(Supreme) Leaders.
edit on 24-4-2016 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Of course, that would mean the implication is that Africa needs to be for the Africans, yes?

If any other ethnicity said that about their area of the world ... say Europe ... wouldn't that be racist?

You are quite right. It might also be racist to mention that the people of N. Africa are neither historically nor ethnically the same people as the people of Sub-Sahara Africa. I guess any mention of the wheel, written language, irrigation or sanitation, should also be off limits.

Alas, I recon it's back to annie and her N.C. restroom rage.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Well you know what our stance hasn't done anything but make the situation worse.

You show me an example of the US dictating political policy for another country that has worked in the last 100 years that isn't Germany or Japan.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Did you miss the last 15 years?

You missed the fact that we spent trillions of dollars trying to create democracies all over the middle east.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Not remotely.

I am well aware there are differences in Africa between the regions. But there are also difference in Europe between the different areas there too, so what of it?

Fact remains, the study claimed that diversity is making them poor. If it makes them poor, then it would also make others poor too. The implication is that different areas of the world should be ethnically cleansing their regions by sending everyone home.

Clearly, you don't like that idea, but that's the implication of the study cited in the OP.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Africa is like anywhere else, yes it is diverse, but although poorer than other continents today it is making some remarkable strides and come backs, they are in the process of making 4 large economic blocks with highways, flight and infrastructure that will spur internal trade and development, and revamping their own banking system outside external control,they basically told Euro/Americans to buzz off.

African Skylines..The Other Africa
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pls klik here^
And yes the Chinese are making a difference in the sense that they conduct trade and leave Africans to their own devises for better or worst, where as the west insist on being patronizing and manipulative.

edit on 24-4-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Well you know what our stance hasn't done anything but make the situation worse.

You show me an example of the US dictating political policy for another country that has worked in the last 100 years that isn't Germany or Japan.

Show me an example of another country that was as thoroughly devastated by war as Germany and Japan that the US then occupied and governed for as long and thoroughly as we did those two nations.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Did you miss the last 15 years?

You missed the fact that we spent trillions of dollars trying to create democracies all over the middle east.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but weren't you in ME? Did you see any creation of any thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Show me where the US dictated political policy?
You are perpetuating a myth.

First you say our forcing Democracy on the middle east hasn't worked. I showed you how false that narrative is as they have all had Kings, Dictators or Supreme Leaders. We place standards to do business with us at best and ignored abuses by some at worst.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yes, the Chinese are not given to being SJWs and worrying about things like slavery, female genital mutilation, child marriage, rape, and the other things that aren't so wonderful about many African cultures.

Of course, the Chinese don't care one whit about the environment either, and I can see the farmers being cool with that because now they can kill any of the local wildlife that happens to threaten their livelihood. People don't get that Cecil was not a big deal in Africa.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

So sub-Saharan Africa is the most diverse while Bolivia is the least diverse, both being dirt poor.

I think what they're saying here is that both areas are painfully low on White guys.

I understand no one wants to put it that way.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Spider879

Yes, the Chinese are not given to being SJWs and worrying about things like slavery, female genital mutilation, child marriage, rape, and the other things that aren't so wonderful about many African cultures.

Of course, the Chinese don't care one whit about the environment either, and I can see the farmers being cool with that because now they can kill any of the local wildlife that happens to threaten their livelihood. People don't get that Cecil was not a big deal in Africa.

As bad as it is those are African problems to solve don't you think??.. could we even stomach a whiff of foreign intervention into our own muck-ups??..I think not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join