It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study claims Africa is poor because of too much diversity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This study, along with the partial rebuttal in the article has many, many points to discuss, debate and argue about. It will no doubt be very controversial, as it always is whenever anyone discusses the serious problems that Africans have in the modern world, and because this is a pair of economists debating something that's really in the realm of psychology or anthropology. I am surprised though that no one looked at the very obvious answer that most of us have already figured out, which is that resource scarcity in colder countries selected for traits like analysis, economics and planning, which are not really necessary in places like Africa where you can find food all year long.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If Africa is poor because of too much diversity then why is the United States not poor also?

Diversity named as an enemy to mankind is very Marxist. You cannot have Freedom without diversity.

I call the study a load of communist crap.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Really interesting! I just skimmed the source, and it looks like a very worthwhile one. Will read it later, just wanted to F/S your thread....thanks.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Why do you?

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Tread carefully.

you may run into the hidden data of worldwide IQ scores and that a large part of IQ is genetic. a minimum average IQ of 90 is needed for democracy to function.
Anyone who talks about the data is a racist, and anyone who publishes the data is fired from their post/job.

perhaps 50 years from now the data will be considered and policy changes will be based on this data but it is dangerous to speak of it as of now.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

If Africa is poor because of too much diversity then why is the United States not poor also?

We're getting poorer as we get more diverse and more crowded, although the rich are getting richer.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Why do you?

You cannot have Freedom without diversity

You were too selective in your quote, the answer you seek was right before your cut and paste.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Part of Africa's problem is that by and large its geography just is not conducive to development - very few places for ports, rivers are not friendly to large scale navigation, not easy to build cross country railroads, etc.

Much of this has little to do with the people who live there.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
That's funny because I was reading how Africa is embracing the Chinese and their way of government over the western style of government.

Apparently they don't think what we do works for them and I tend to agree. Different strokes for different folks.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
That's funny because I was reading how Africa is embracing the Chinese and their way of government over the western style of government.

Apparently they don't think what we do works for them and I tend to agree. Different strokes for different folks.

Not much of anything has worked for Africa.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
?? You said you call the study a load of communist crap. That was your final thought. The final paragraph.
I used the final paragraph. If you didn't mean it to stand alone, it should not have been standing alone.

But regarding the preceding opinion:

Diversity named as an enemy to mankind is very Marxist. You cannot have Freedom without diversity.

...how do you see this as a "load of communist crap"?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Africa is poor because it's Africa.

It lacks first world standards of government with integrity and secularism. That and over population. Its pretty hard to keep people happy when they are starving.

Although, Libya before Gaddafi was pushed out was a pretty good place to live if one stayed off Gaddafi's radar.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

It lacks first world standards of government with integrity and secularism. That and over population. Its pretty hard to keep people happy when they are starving.

You mean property rights?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
?? You said you call the study a load of communist crap. That was your final thought. The final paragraph.
I used the final paragraph. If you didn't mean it to stand alone, it should not have been standing alone.

But regarding the preceding opinion:

...how do you see this as a "load of communist crap"?

Democracy promotes diversity, communism promotes uniformity.

Pretty simple, yes?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
"" Study claims Africa is poor because of too much diversity ""

So that must mean Africa has been devolving for a long time.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Of course, that would mean the implication is that Africa needs to be for the Africans, yes?

If any other ethnicity said that about their area of the world ... say Europe ... wouldn't that be racist?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

According to what I learned from the last Vice episode on HBO Africa doesn't like the west meddling in its politics and that's part of the problem.

China is spending billions on African infrastructure and I support then.

I think the power balance is changing in the world.

Don't forget about what China said a few years ago about rebuilding the trade routes there.

If we are smart we will build a better relationship with them. Many Africans are smart just like the Arabs but they are very trival and the western style of governance won't work with any of these countries.

Its time we stop telling them how to run their countries and building trade relations similar in fashion to how China is doing it.

I'd like to travel there and even live there one day.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Don't live in south Africa... * shudders *

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

"Building a better relationship" is by definition "meddling in politics" since that is under the umbrella of diplomacy, generally undertaken on the level of nation to nation, government to government.

However, I would be all for not sending them foreign aid since they seem to not appreciate it.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The problem with Africa is Africans, they are also the solution. They are the only ones at the end of the day that can do or not do the things required to make their continent a better place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join