It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the US Blew Millions of Dollars Airlifting Cashmere Goats to Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This week's blue ribbon boondoggle of the week award goes to the U.S. Department of Defense.

An Inspector General report in front of a Senate hearing reveals some odd and funny programs.

In efforts to somehow "boost" the economy in Afghanistan they apparently came up with a gem of an idea to get some special goats airlifted.

And of course, these things are not free or even cheap.

I bet there's some big time bilking going on.

Read about several high level programs totaling millions of dollars....

How the US Blew Millions of Dollars Airlifting Cashmere Goats to Afghanistan

The Pentagon airlifted Italian goats to Afghanistan as part of a failed $6 million project aimed at boosting the country’s cashmere industry.

That’s one of the latest findings from John Sopko, the special inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction, who testified at a Senate hearing yesterday on the Defense Department’s efforts to boost the Afghan economy at a cost of more than $600 million. SIGAR, Sopko said, “has not been able to find credible evidence showing that TFBSO’s [Task Force for Business and Stability Operations] activities in Afghanistan produced the intended economic growth or stabilization outcomes that justified its creation.”

The Pentagon’s cashmere project entailed importing nine rare blond male goats from Italy, building a farm, and setting up a laboratory to certify the their wool. It’s possible the program created as many as 350 jobs. But according to Sopko, the Pentagon failed to track its spending, and the project’s status is unknown. It remains unclear whether or not the goats were eaten.

Goatburgers anyone ?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I guess the U.S. Government couldn't let the Afghan's continue to compete with them in the international drug trade so they decided to give them some goats? Our Government is run by fools.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Fibre production is prone to fraud. For some reason it's possible to get people really excited about top-end fibres and 'fleece' them easily.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Insider tip.
If you want to go big, go Musk Ox.

$100 dollars an ounce unspun. www.woolery.com...

The sales blurb is, because they live in extreme conditions it's better for you.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Boost Afghanistans economy??? Are You snipping Me? How about the Billions and Billions that their opium production accounts for?

en.wikipedia.org...

www.globalresearch.ca...

Not only do the Afghans make some bread but then it gets imported and 'these guys' make the bread on the sales and then the incarceration of those abusing the drugs in their 'private prisons'. These are the ones that haven't been killed off yet. In 2001, they produced 7% now it is closer to 88%+ (see graphs) You have to remember that this opium is/was used in the first wave of "Kill Off" when it was opiate based pain meds. This led to legitimate users having to jump through more and ¢o$tly hoops, those who o'd'ed took care of a few 1,000 numbers.. After those numbers were 'culled' they just moved on to the cheaper to make/use/buy 'Hair On'..

I concur.. Yet ANOTHER Boondoggle..
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: added a thought.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
So we give them RARE blonde Italian goats to produce cashmere which is luxurious and valuable and they may have eaten them, is that right? This is like something out of politically themed satirical sitcom. I do remember being on patrol in Afghanistan this one time and their was this adorable baby goat trotting along following us through the fields. It's ears hung down all floppy like and it had the markings of a baby deer. Damn thing was just too cute but alas I felt sad for it knowing that in just a few years that goat would most likely be eaten. I'm telling you don't give rural Afghani's goats and expect them to do anything other than eat them. They would offer us roasted goat and chai all the time.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

edit on 25-4-2016 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join