It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I'm thinking of going to live in the woods....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:30 AM
Nice idea, and....
You as stated need outdoor skils..lots of them.
THis is not something you just up and do.
You have to have all the need tools and skills to keep alive.
You have an Axe and stone to keep it sharp?
You have a bow, fishing pole, knives?

This list is endless.
You will be living off the land and the land is NOT kind to rookies.
How about the nice warm winters up there?

Sounds more like you should go out for say 2 weeks with what you know.have and see what yo see.
Drop all outside contact and go survive.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:06 AM
a reply to: lavatrance

You do know that having your car nearby is asking for problems, right? What happens when mice, squirrels or groundhogs chew the wiring & you discover you are stranded?

Happened to our son. Had his Charger parked in his driveway. Concrete, in suburbia! A groundhog climbed up into the motor after he came home from work. Did over a thousand dollars of damage overnight!

There are a lot more hungry, curious critters in the woods! Just a heads up!

edit on 24-4-2016 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:10 AM

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I see shows like "Alone" and these people are experts yet also fold pretty quickly.

I been watching that. Interesting how many notions of survival fold the first time a super predator growls outside your flimsy shelter.

Some of those contestants pushed the panic button so quickly…

Yea but unarmed i'd be scared too.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:14 PM
But least you'll be able to post selfies on FB, make your back woods hooch and post on here about how you've been repeatedly violated by the Yeti's who stole your Prius.

AND...after the Yeti's have had their way with you for a few weeks at their nightly Yeti-raves and Yeti-bangs then, at least, you'll have a secure place to park the Prius...that is if you ever get it back.

There's that.

edit on 4/24/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:33 PM
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

. . . I've also had to deal with the crap some of these so called 'free spirits' leave behind.

Me too. Discovering other people's crap in an inappropriate place is never fun.

This offensively racist video is educational.

The WHO has to be useful for something.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:46 PM

This bit has to be done properly.

How to # in the Woods

Having spent many years interior canoeing in the wilderness, and cleaning campsites for the parks, I have come across some pretty disgusting ‘piles’ in the woods. This article explains the best way on how to # in the woods .

When you’re looking for a ‘location’ make sure that you’re at least 150 feet from trails or water (further is better). Remember, this is water that you drink from. Also, make sure you watch for other ‘landmines’, these are usually marked with a cross made with sticks, or a stick straight out of the ground. So, if you see some perfect turf to dig, look first for a cross or a stick coming out from the ground. This is other campers warning you: Beware!

Now that you’ve found your spot, you need to dig. You’re probably pretty desperate at this point, because you’re in the woods and looking for somewhere to dig a hole to # in the woods, so dig the hole at least 4-6 inches deep setting aside your dirt in a pile to cover later, and deeper if possible and always bigger than you think you’ll need.

The hole can be anything from just deep enough to cover it to a pit big enough for six months use for a group. A hole big enough for a fortnight is also big enough for a large mammal to break a leg in. Take care with placement. With a multi use pit it's essential to cover each deposit with a good layer of dirt.
edit on 24 4 2016 by Kester because: extra pooping instructions

Remember. Nothing annoys a Sasquatch more than twisting his knee and getting his foot covered in #. Take care with placement of your pit.
edit on 24 4 2016 by Kester because: Sasquatch warning

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:09 PM

Forget Tofino... that area is infested with tourists. You wouldn't be able to walk 20 feet without bumping into some tourist-y people with cameras. And because that area is prone to major tourism, the prices for things like groceries and such are jacked way up.

Also Vancouver island is very heavily populated with cougars and black bears in particular, and because of the limited amount of land space on the island where humans haven't taken over, the cougars and black bears pretty much rule the forested areas. So it's a really bad idea to be trying to live alone on the island deep in the bush without a proper log cabin type of shelter for protection... your life literally depends on it.

And as nice as the Okanagan valley is, it's heavily populated throughout the entire area, so finding somewhere secluded would be pretty much next to impossible.

And where there's lots of people, there's lots of law enforcement. And where there's lots of law enforcement, you can forget trying to squat anywhere in the bush to set up camp in locations where camping isn't allowed. Your first campfire would give your location away and you'll have rangers dashing away your dreams faster than you can say "Freedom!".

If you want to find a fairly secluded area where you won't have people discovering your location, then you're far better off heading into the northern BC areas where towns/roads/campsites/cabins/etc are much farther and fewer between.

The southern half of BC is too populated and touristy... which means you have a higher chance of getting caught and booted out of any spot you try to claim for yourself before you even get the chance to hang your hat.

edit on 24-4-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:13 PM
Camping on crown land is free if you are a Canadian citizen. Better yet, find an unclaimed area, get your prospectors license and stake a claim. You are allowed simple buildings on your land. I'm sure you can find out, or get a map of, where crown land is.

I plan on camping/exploring lake of the woods in Ontario and will be camping for free the whole time!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:25 PM
a reply to: superman2012

If memory serves me correctly, I think you can only camp for a maximum of 14 days on crown land for free in BC... and you have to follow many laws and regulations of the area in terms of hunting/fishing, no building of permanent structures, etc.

There's a lot of crown land where they're designated as conservation areas so the restrictions are even tighter.

So really doing one's homework before trying to set up a little homestead on any particular piece of crown land is a must.

But you're right, temporarily camping out on crown land for free is a great idea for anyone who wants to test the waters on going solo in the great Canadian wild frontier.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:40 PM
a reply to: CranialSponge
I think it's just 14 days in one spot though, unless that's just Ontario?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:48 PM
a reply to: superman2012

Actually in Ontario I think it's 21 days... you might want to double check that before you head out.

And yep, all you have to do is pack up and relocate to another spot that's a fair enough distance away from your first spot.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:01 PM
I've spent a few months living in a tent in the woods.
It was nice to be away from the world for a while.
I had a shotgun for gathering meat and berries were in season.
I was near a creek for water and the occasional crawfish or small catfish.
An abandoned puppy found me and became my best friend.
I have to admit it was nice to come back to civilization and take a nice hot shower.
Wouldn't want to spend my life living that way, but it was an adventure worth having.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:08 PM
a reply to: skunkape23

I agree.

Camping and spending long lengths of time amidst mother nature and all her glory can be quite the uplifting experience.

But nothing beats getting back to flushing toilets and hot showers.

... and munching down on a pepperoni, bacon, and onion pizza with extra cheese.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:31 PM
a reply to: CranialSponge
I loved Yoho. Spent over a week at kicking horse campground! At the top of the gondola lift in Golden, you can see a perfect little spot with lots of tree cover and a creek running through it. That is where I would go to "escape". Otherwise, I'm looking forward to hiking the whole Boreal Trail in Meadow Lake provincial park this summer! Get out as often as I can, which isn't often enough!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:53 PM
a reply to: Metropolis1927

So true, been there, done it.... but "real" life called me back....unfortunately....
Back in 3 years....

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:57 PM

Really.... do what your heart tells you to do....
Follow your dream and realize it in real time....
You WILL kick yourself if you don't....

been there, done it.... it's amazing and life is great....

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:10 PM

I don't know about season one, in season two they have air horns, flares and bear sized pepper spray.

I've camped in bear country before, unarmed. I had a black bear stand over me once, pinning me down in a sleeping bag to eat a pop tart another kid left out. That was interesting…

I don't freak at natures presence, I'm in awe and wonderment to have such live encounters. They're like a special treat.

Wilderness is a state of mind.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:22 PM
I did 8 weeks in the new forest in England before calling it a day and heading home. The solitude became maddening very quickly but it's a great test of your limitations, physical and mental endurance and determination.

For anybody that can stick it out 6 months to a year you have my utmost respect. It's far too difficult for me and I've grown utterly dependent on modern living, despite wishing I wasn't.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:35 PM
Living alone in the wilds is not natural for humans. The 'alone' part in and of itself is not natural. I've been through many survival skills schools including NOLS as a guide and instructor. Humans are naturally "village" type people who need to band together to exploit individual strengths among a group with differing skills. It's the nature of the human.

Alone, these schools are truly accurate in their name, "survival". Because on your own a man does not thrive...he only survives. I have no problem on my own in the wild. I love to be one with nature, but even I know; once I survive and thrive I will naturally gravitate towards other people. It's the nature of the being, and it cannot be changed.

Yes, some people do live for decades in the wild, but these people are 1/1,000,000th of the population and they are very rare indeed. Frankly, I do not believe the OP is one of these people...with a cell phone, a Prius, no money and a desire to move-on when the leaves turn. Instead, I'm thinking this is more of a squatting, for my part, I am loathe of supporting.

Just being honest (again).

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:39 PM

originally posted by: intrptr

I see shows like "Alone" and these people are experts yet also fold pretty quickly.

I been watching that. Interesting how many notions of survival fold the first time a super predator growls outside your flimsy shelter.

Some of those contestants pushed the panic button so quickly…
I live in the deep woods, it can be quite interesting...a friend visiting last week was awestruck by the natural beauty and isolation and wildlife- during the daytime.... at night however-he nearly crapped his pants when a bobcat screamed after hunting down a bunny. Next day a black bear smashed the back window out of his jeep for his leftover skittles. Following night coyotes got loud 20 feet from the house-till 3 wolves came through and ate 2 in my front yard. He didn't sleep much while he was here... be prepared for all that nature in case you get some on you! Lol

<< 1    3  4 >>