It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There’s Been A Startling Rise In Suicide Rates In The U.S.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
OP, when I saw the title of your topic, before even clicking to read it, I said to myself "I bet it matches the rise of anti-depressant drug usage". Then I read your first post.....

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Please extrapolate.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I believe anti-depressants actually cause people to commit suicide. And the OP slightly touched on the subject, which means multiple people from different parts of the world have came to the same conclusion, which gives the idea validation.

I have first hand experience with it. Anti-depressants actually reduce brain activity, make you foggy, and I believe in the end allow you to make stupid decisions, and get stuck in a train of thought, and you lose the ability to mentally talk yourself out of it with any reason.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

I've had a similar experience with bi polar medication and have chosen the lath of meditation and self actualization and discipline over medication.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
I think the western worlds making life harder on everyone with technology and not easier.

Believe it or not the white priveledge myth is exactly that.

In my experience I am expected to be successful and have money and am looked down upon by my entire family for starting college at such a young age.

Because I am a white male I get no slack cut I am expected to be this or that at 30 years old.

Also the family structure in the white community is horrid.

Utter BS. It is the false capitalist system being implemented. Not technology. We don't get neighbors going "good morning sir anymore".
Also if you haven't notice, there has been a rise of feminist support rather than male. Why Woman has less suicide than men. There seems to be a lack of male support now.

Men don't help men anymore. The greed and rich(should I also include the spoiled rich) has all the women. This is a sign of new imperial corporate dictatorship. Money is becoming everything. When the male population dies off. The Gov is going to be next. Who we kidding? The Gov sold out a long time ago.
Every male has been brainwashed to live a life like a king thanks to the media.
edit on 25-4-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

The reason women have such low rates, is because, with that affirmative action card, I don't suppose things are that bad for them. Looking around myself on a daily basis, it looks to me like they have everything going for them...although they will vehemently deny it. The stats from the graph, can't be refuted. Happy people don't typically commit suicide.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I wrote a thread about the over-medication of Teens and Children in the US not that long ago. I read the side effects of every bottle I had been prescribed. Every label, every time, warned about the INCREASED risk. That is because if you do not need to take them then it can actually have the opposite of the intended effect. Very strange and very sad that doctors will dull out meds without a second thought.

When I had an evaluation done some time ago I was pretty scared because the nurse asked me a list of questions and then was like "Okay so you just need a medical script then?" as if I only needed a doctors approval but could pick whatever I wanted.

That is so incredible unnerving because instead of taking their time, they are just used to giving people what they ask for and with more people now than ever before being on medicine for easily treatable things, I would not be shocked if that was the main culprit in the rise of suicide.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician

The reason women have such low rates, is because, with that affirmative action card, I don't suppose things are that bad for them. Looking around myself on a daily basis, it looks to me like they have everything going for them...although they will vehemently deny it. The stats from the graph, can't be refuted. Happy people don't typically commit suicide.

A very ignorant assumption, and it shows you really don't know how to read numbers and beyond.

The charts show COMPLETED SUCCESSFUL SUICIDES. It does not take into account attempts. Happy people don't attempt suicide, either. Yet women attempt suicide at far higher rates than men. The difference? Their attempts to end their lives succeed less than men.

So why do men succeed at suicide more often then women? METHODOLOGY. To put it more simply, men tend to use more violent, lethal methods to end their lives than women. Men use hanging, firearms, and jumping as suicide methods more often, where women tend to prefer poisoning, drug overdoses, cutting, or other "peaceful" methods. This difference in methods of suicide stems from the fact that suicidal people will overwhelmingly use methods or tools that they are familiar and comfortable with . More men than women are comfortable with firearms and weapons, where as women tend to be more comfortable with pills. (There was actually a study of suicide in the armed forces that confirmed method of suicide was strongly related to accessibility and comfort with the method. Army and Marine suicides were more often committed with firearms, Navy suicides via ropes, knots, and hanging, and Air Force has a lot of jumpers.)

But simply because they don't complete suicide attempts, does not mean women, minorities, or others are any "happier" than those poor, oppressed white males who still hold the majority of wealth, power, and influence. And even when a person is miserable and wants to die, they might not kill themselves on account of others depending on them for support or survival. Women will more than likely avoid killing themselves when they are the sole supporters of their families.

But the increase in suicides, both attempts and completions, reflects more on the state of the world, the mentality of humanity, and the direction of the future than anything else. More and more people see the world as a hostile, insane place, filled with and run by depraved people who just don't care, and rather than left the world inevitably destroy them, they destroy themselves to escape.

Humanity really is a plague.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Everything you said means nothing.

It does not take into account attempts.

Attempts...are not suicide (and you call me ignorant). If there are so many women "attempting" suicide, then why can't they kill themselves successfully, like the men do? I mean come on, if a person wants to really kill themselves...it's not hard to do. I know the answer, because these women are NOT trying to kill themselves at all...they are just looking for attention.

* and btw, men are not more "comfortable" with violent deaths than anyone else who's been watching our media. Men are just willing to go through with what they set out to do.....as for women, well " a woman's work is never done" as they say.
edit on 25-4-2016 by IlluminatiTechnician because: addition of source

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Everything you said means nothing.

It does not take into account attempts.

Attempts...are not suicide (and you call me ignorant). If there are so many women "attempting" suicide, then why can't they kill themselves successfully, like the men do? I mean come on, if a person wants to really kill themselves...it's not hard to do. I know the answer, because these women are NOT trying to kill themselves at all...they are just looking for attention.

* and btw, men are not more "comfortable" with violent deaths than anyone else who's been watching our media. Men are just willing to go through with what they set out to do.....as for women, well " a woman's work is never done" as they say.

Once again, you display great ignorance. Not just of numbers, but of the psychology of suicide. Attempts lead to suicides. Attempts come from the same source of despair and loss of hope. A person who has attempted suicide is far more likely to succeed in the future.

Obviously, you did not even bother to read anything, so I won't even dignify the rest of your rubbish with a response. Otherwise, you'd see your questions have already been answered.

Seriously. Try reading up on suicide, the psychology behind it, the social aspects and implications. It's far more than a person offing themselves out of sadness or hopelessness. It is a far more complex disease.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

A very ignorant assumption, and it shows you really don't know how to read numbers and beyond.

The charts show COMPLETED SUCCESSFUL SUICIDES. It does not take into account attempts. Happy people don't attempt suicide, either. Yet women attempt suicide at far higher rates than men. The difference? Their attempts to end their lives succeed less than men.

So why do men succeed at suicide more often then women? METHODOLOGY. To put it more simply, men tend to use more violent, lethal methods to end their lives than women. Men use hanging, firearms, and jumping as suicide methods more often, where women tend to prefer poisoning, drug overdoses, cutting, or other "peaceful" methods. This difference in methods of suicide stems from the fact that suicidal people will overwhelmingly use methods or tools that they are familiar and comfortable with . More men than women are comfortable with firearms and weapons, where as women tend to be more comfortable with pills. (There was actually a study of suicide in the armed forces that confirmed method of suicide was strongly related to accessibility and comfort with the method. Army and Marine suicides were more often committed with firearms, Navy suicides via ropes, knots, and hanging, and Air Force has a lot of jumpers.)

But simply because they don't complete suicide attempts, does not mean women, minorities, or others are any "happier" than those poor, oppressed white males who still hold the majority of wealth, power, and influence. And even when a person is miserable and wants to die, they might not kill themselves on account of others depending on them for support or survival. Women will more than likely avoid killing themselves when they are the sole supporters of their families.

But the increase in suicides, both attempts and completions, reflects more on the state of the world, the mentality of humanity, and the direction of the future than anything else. More and more people see the world as a hostile, insane place, filled with and run by depraved people who just don't care, and rather than left the world inevitably destroy them, they destroy themselves to escape.

Humanity really is a plague.

He has a point though. Western women, especially good looking ones and wealthy ones, have everything going for them right now. They literally have life handed to them on a silver platter, and can get pretty much whatever they want. They also don't have to shoulder the burden of responsibilities and expectations ascribed to men. With the gender equality movement's success, they pretty much have all the same rights and benefits as men but none of the burdens. Generally it's true, but I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying this.

Also, the world of humankind is absolutely a hostile, insane, and depraved place and it's always been that way. It's just that now it's more confusing and people are weaker and can't cope.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

What a crock. Western women still have to fight to get equal pay, end up more often than not shouldering the burden of raising their families. Despite the fact that women spend more of their income on their families than men do, and still are judged by appearance and age rather than capabilities.

Yet it makes no sense

The problem is, is that Western men, who have been holding a lot of people's leashes for centuries, think that in depriving them control and authority over others some how equates to "being oppressed".

Oh, and here's another tidbit: Veterans constitute a pretty sizable chunk of suicides, and since most veterans tend to be male, that also tips the scales towards higher male rates of suicide. Veteran suicides have actually been increasing quite a bit in the aftermath of Iraq and Afghanistan. Mainly due to the VA and the government not giving a sh*t about the psychological damage humans suffer from war, and few being willing to pay the post war costs of caring for the men and women we sent into the meat grinder.

Really, research suicide. It's way more complicated than people seem to get.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

There's a really sad energy out there. I see so many unemployed and trying to just scrape by. I think that many feel there's nothing to aspire to and they feel helpless. I volunteer at a local food bank delivering meals to those who can't or won't leave their house. I wish I can do more. There are some days when the sadness is so potent that it's hard to stay ahead of it.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

What a crock. Western women still have to fight to get equal pay, end up more often than not shouldering the burden of raising their families. Despite the fact that women spend more of their income on their families than men do, and still are judged by appearance and age rather than capabilities.

Yet it makes no sense

The problem is, is that Western men, who have been holding a lot of people's leashes for centuries, think that in depriving them control and authority over others some how equates to "being oppressed".

Oh, and here's another tidbit: Veterans constitute a pretty sizable chunk of suicides, and since most veterans tend to be male, that also tips the scales towards higher male rates of suicide. Veteran suicides have actually been increasing quite a bit in the aftermath of Iraq and Afghanistan. Mainly due to the VA and the government not giving a sh*t about the psychological damage humans suffer from war, and few being willing to pay the post war costs of caring for the men and women we sent into the meat grinder.

Really, research suicide. It's way more complicated than people seem to get.

It's not a crock. You have to fight an imagined patriarchy because human beings crave discord and maltreatment, and lacking thereof, you "battle" with invisible problems like a "pay gap."

The pay gap thing has been debunked a thousand times already, it doesn't take into account women working fewer hours and things of that sort.

Also, dunno why you keep repeating this thing about western men being oppressed. No one has said western men are oppressed, so far as I've seen. A ridiculous notion, anyway. But saying that western women have it tough is also ridiculous. You guys have it so easy that you're forced to dream up problems.

Also, my ancestors and I held (and hold) no one's leash. Also a ridiculous statement, because the majority has historically always been disenfranchised and impecunious, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, whatever.

Of course, I'm generalizing quite a bit and we must always leave room for individual circumstances.
edit on 25-4-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: eXia7
When faced with hopelessness, what other options are there?

One of the hardest things to deal with in my opinion is how little people really care.

Bingo. It's amazing how many people 'care' after someone kills themselves. It's nothing more than a survivors guilt complex. I myself have plenty of acquaintances but no real friends. I'm a prime candidate for suicide but I'm too much of a chickensh!t to do myself in. I'm not afraid of death but I'm afraid of dying.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
There's so much about the suicide issue that both saddens, and amazes me.

It saddens me that at my son's high-school, at least 2 students commit suicide every school year. Everyone in the faculty is very "hush-hush" about these instances...like nothing happened. It's disgustingly sad.

It amazes me that the profession (in the USA) with the highest suicide rate is physicians..MEDICAL DOCTORS.
Source: www.therichest.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Imagined patriarchy. I love it. You boys come up with some of the most fascinating delusions to hide from reality or make it easier to accept.

That's almost as rich as saying "imagined fundamentalism" in Islam or Christianity.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The reasons suicides increase everywhere is because of an increase in feeling helpless/hopeless.

When you have this feeling of disappointment, of everything going bad, of not having a future, then suicidal thoughts start coming to your mind.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
People often hide their depression well from those that barely know them, including doctors and go right to ending it all before seeking help.

Those that realise they are depressed as hell and seek help dont get the 'correct' form of help via therapy, drugs or a combo of the two - because defining their needs is extremely difficult due to the persons willingness to accept it combined with the depth of their knowledge about their depression. People only know what you tell them, which is all the doctors have to go on - dont blame the drugs outright, i have personality got through some harsh depression, scared by a cousins death via suicide i made an extra effort to be full truthful and have patience with the meds because they take months to really 'work'. I came out the other side so i know it works if you work it, to some even coming out the other side is daunting because their problems or feelings still exist in some form, its because they havnt FACED their issues and been fully TRUTHFUL about it.

Yes suicide, its on the rise and thats fact. But so is population and the complications of modern life, relationships and earning a good wage - its to be expected almost, the pressure on physically able people from X Y or Z walks of life is very high.

Be informed, if you know somone thats depressed, try and get them in a conversation about why it is and provide clear and decent information about how to tackle it. Some people draw back from life in the months/years leading up to the rash decision to pull the trigger and so make it hard for those that know them or related to them, heck even care for or love them and no one sees it coming. But really, the signs have been there in front of them all the whole time.

My 2 pence.

EDIT: also some are scared of seeking help because that itself is a sign of weakness which will compound and multiply the problem.

Biigs.

edit on b0000701 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
a reply to: onequestion

I believe anti-depressants actually cause people to commit suicide. And the OP slightly touched on the subject, which means multiple people from different parts of the world have came to the same conclusion, which gives the idea validation.

I have first hand experience with it. Anti-depressants actually reduce brain activity, make you foggy, and I believe in the end allow you to make stupid decisions, and get stuck in a train of thought, and you lose the ability to mentally talk yourself out of it with any reason.

Yes maybe, but people are only seeking these anti-depressants because they have problems in the first place. I'd definitely agree that those meds should be avoided though.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join