It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There’s Been A Startling Rise In Suicide Rates In The U.S.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
Not surprising at all. Modern life is deeply unfulfilling, especially for men. Deep down every guy knows something is seriously wrong. Every man who's testosterone hasn't already been obliterated by all the chemicals is still effectively living in the wilderness, or his biology is anyway. He needs to go out and fight, f*ck, hunt, build stuff with his own hands, craft, run, and howl at the top of his lungs.

He also needs to have his romantic nature satisfied, which is also quickly becoming impossible with the advent of all this technology and a culture of impersonality and quick gratification. A lot of men are romantic creatures, very romantic, but also very violent. The modern world leaves room for neither.

The modern western world has effectively become domesticated, it's literally like one giant domestic setting where everything is relatively comfortable, orderly, and safe, which is why women aren't killing themselves. Women are more domestic creatures, they are far more comfortable with this giant "domesticated" world than men are.

From personal experience, I'm actually surprised more men aren't killing themselves. I'm surprised we aren't offing ourselves in droves. We have literally every reason to.

The reason blacks and lations don't waste themselves as much is because they've managed to hang on to their masculine family-oriented cultures. Black guys still have the gangster archtype etc, white guys have had all our archetypes stripped down to some tweedling little hipster with thick-rimmed glasses and a lisp.

I'm black...I have suicidal thoughts every day. I'm not a gangster, I graduated college. What you just said was very narrow minded. Being macho is not the reason I don't give in.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: supremecommander

originally posted by: Talorc
Not surprising at all. Modern life is deeply unfulfilling, especially for men. Deep down every guy knows something is seriously wrong. Every man who's testosterone hasn't already been obliterated by all the chemicals is still effectively living in the wilderness, or his biology is anyway. He needs to go out and fight, f*ck, hunt, build stuff with his own hands, craft, run, and howl at the top of his lungs.

He also needs to have his romantic nature satisfied, which is also quickly becoming impossible with the advent of all this technology and a culture of impersonality and quick gratification. A lot of men are romantic creatures, very romantic, but also very violent. The modern world leaves room for neither.

The modern western world has effectively become domesticated, it's literally like one giant domestic setting where everything is relatively comfortable, orderly, and safe, which is why women aren't killing themselves. Women are more domestic creatures, they are far more comfortable with this giant "domesticated" world than men are.

From personal experience, I'm actually surprised more men aren't killing themselves. I'm surprised we aren't offing ourselves in droves. We have literally every reason to.

The reason blacks and lations don't waste themselves as much is because they've managed to hang on to their masculine family-oriented cultures. Black guys still have the gangster archtype etc, white guys have had all our archetypes stripped down to some tweedling little hipster with thick-rimmed glasses and a lisp.

I'm black...I have suicidal thoughts every day. I'm not a gangster, I graduated college. What you just said was very narrow minded. Being macho is not the reason I don't give in.

Out of my whole post, you pick out the part at the bottom to gripe about. It was a generalization used to make a point, sometimes that's necessary.

All I can say is....

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: UberL33t

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: UberL33t

The main cause of suicide is being miserable, and the thought of it continuing for the rest of your natural life triggers the crisis. Were now in financial prisons in a world where the illusion of actually getting a head by honest effort is a dream . I think more and more people will say f#@%$ it. As they realise they cant win in a rigged system.

I'd be curios to know how many of those people in your scenario would be on anti-depressants?

An excellent question. We are a medicated society these days. Youngsters being treated with psychotic drugs sounds like a recipe to certain disaster, IMO.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The hopelessness of a middle class society that lost so much and see no hope. Just wars and our way of life lost to them.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

Yea especially when you read about the side offects of many of the most prescribed psychotropic medications. Many of them cause psychotic episodes and suicidal thoughts and can make symptoms worse.

You put it well when you said it's a recipe for disaster.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

It's all to do with diet imo. I was just reading the other day how Mexico is one of the happiest nations in the world, which is interesting when u consider the problems they have with poverty and drug Lords over there.

But Mexicans are much more likely to be eating a traditional Spanish diet. On the other hand, the USA is one of the most depressed countries in the world and that's in part due to the fact they stay away from a traditional diet and eat crap like burger king and kfc.

A healthy diet makes a healthy mind.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jamespond

Thank you for bringing that point up. In the 1st world we have terrible food habits and it absolutely is affecting the way we live.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jamespond

Mexicans are far more loyal and stick together.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

You made a very uneducated and baseless blanket statement about about why the black and hispanic suicide rate is lower. Don't gripe about people calling you out when you have no problem speaking in a thoughtless manner, or casting out stereotypes in a poor attempt to analyze the behavior of an entire group of people.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: supremecommander

Well the graph does show that the biggest increase was in white males.

I wouldn't call them baseless.

I think what he really meant was that those communities tend to have a lifestyle that appeals more to the reward mechanisms that we've evolved to have based on tribalism and hunting and other things no linger necessary.

Not exactly baseless but maybe misunderstood.

Just because someone generalizes about those communities doesn't mean they are racist. To quick to throw out racist these days.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
What do we expect with the internet tearing our brains every which way? Couple that with this:

"There doesn't need to be a classification for things that are different."

Of course mental illness is on the rise.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

We live in a culture that views success in terms of materialism. We have largely abandoned our spirituality in favor of consumerism. As a result when someone is no longer able to consume to the degree that they can feel self worth, they collapse. Plus the media fills our heads with a lot of unrealistic perspectives on life. Remember the show friends, where everyone had a part time job but were all living in apartments that would cost a million dollars? People see the illusion of life on television and then look at their own real lives and feel like they have failed.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I feel like everybody I know, knows somebody who has killed themselves. And then just last week on my way to work somebody killed themselves by leaping in front of a train! I sometimes feel like the world is always on the brink of just bat#t insanity, but somehow the glue holds...

Train suicide

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I find it interesting how the Asian, Hispanic, and Black rates have pretty much stayed the same while the white and Native Indian rates have risen.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I can certainly understand. Ive lived with depression and suicidal urges most my life. What does the suicidal mind think? To put it simply, it sees a present that is barely livable and a future that is completely unlivable. And while mental illness certainly plays a part, I see more and more suicide as a perfectly logical, although tragic, response to the depraved, hopeless state of the human race, no matter where you live. And the future holds little to no promise for many. In fact, for many, the future only holds poverty, pain, degradation, slavery, and fear.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
For the past week i met over 30 people who were talking about suicide had cuts on the wrists and said they are better off dead. And i am not working with the suicide line.

All i do is go on social sites , sites like omegle and tumblr and kik.

Those people are honest. They are depressed and every single one of them is between 12 and 18 years old.

But one common thing i find amongst them all is that they have problems with the fammily and life.

You see USA has become a place where everything is forced down the throat since early days. Schools are racist and have some kind of ultimate rules all should follow.

The different are treated poorly even from their own parents. Those kids think it is way better to find attention online where you know you will never meet the person you arentalking with, which makes things even worse for them.

Rates will keep going up becausenof false standarts.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Half of them had religious parents. If anyone cares , if one or both parents are highly religious, the suicide rate goes way up. I mean what will you do if you are harrased and your mother tells you it is gods will and acts like everything is related with god. You cant force children into that.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Not even just anti-depressants, but all sorts of other pharmaceutical drugs that have depression and suicidal thoughts as side-effects.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I just thought I'd replay. I noticed in your chart you had "American Indian" in the top.

Here in Canada, since September one of our First Nations reserves (Attawapiskat) has had over 140 suicide attempts. It's been in the news recently. There was 11 on one day with some kids young enough to be single digits in age. Then there was 5 more attempts another day.

www.cbc.ca...

The cause of this is mainly because of the horrific things done to our First Nations peoples by the catholic church. In case anyone didn't know, in Canada they murdered, tortured, abused, raped, brainwashed and kidnapped tens of thousands of babies and children of the First Nations peoples and essentially destroyed them. The sent them to be brainwashed and culturally genocided in "Residential Schools", and they forced unmarried pregnant women into "Homes For Single Mothers" where they would take the baby after being born, never to be seen again, you know cause "not married".

This all happened between 1840's - 1996. That's right, the last one closed in 1996. No need to talk about the crusades when trying to show the disgusting atrocities of this religion.

Back to the cause, the parents who were pretty much destroyed by this had kids who have to see their parents suffering and leads to lots of trouble down the road. Our current prison population in Canada has 25% First Nations peoples.

I wonder if something similar happened in USA, as the number is high for their First Nations peoples as well.
edit on 25-4-2016 by DumpMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

That is indeed an interesting correlation (potentially).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join