It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legailisations comming so stop Pot arrests say some....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Spring of 2017 the Trudeau Government will bring down legalization legislation....
Now there is a call to stop arresting people for simple possession at least....
Also former busted people are clamoring for pardons....

I think the police forces are going to resist this for a period of time....especially those less cosmopolitan forces....

Health Minister Jane Philpott said earlier this week, on 4/20 no less, that new marijuana legislation is coming by next spring. Philpott was speaking at a United Nations special session on drug policy, the first of its kind in 18 years.

"We know it's impossible to arrest our way out of this problem," she defiantly told an audience that included representatives from countries that still hand down harsh punishments for non-violent drug offences.

Legally, of course, the law is still on the books, so people can be prosecuted and convicted," said Alan Young, lawyer and associate professor at Osgoode Hall. Young has been a key player in the anti-prohibition movement for decades.

"But from a moral point of view, if the change is imminent, that undercuts the whole foundation for arrests and prosecutions, and one would hope the government would stop pursuing very minor cases that have clogged up the system for years."

Grey zone

Police have admitted that until the legislation is enacted, law enforcement officers will find themselves in an awkward position, especially in instances of simple possession.

It looks like the real legalization process is beginning already in parts of Canada, however one should certainly be cautious about thumbing ones nose at leagilty....

Are Canadian ATS members prepared to wait another year to light up?
I doubt it immensely....

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

If they're going to legalise anyway, realise it's pointless clogging up the justice system with harmless soft drug users, then it's bizarre to continue to arrest and put soft drug users through the system as though there were no plans to legalise Cannabis.

I know the law is still technically 'active'...but there's is such a thing as common sense and turning a blind eye.

Why waste police time and tax payers money pursuing Cannabis users, after you've decided to stop wasting police time and tax payers money pursuing Cannabis users?

edit on 24 4 2016 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The compromise is to stop laying possesion charges and continue to lay trafficing charges which reflects the advertised pending government focuses......Canada is long way from legalisation,I am sure the mexican cartels are pumping millions and millions of dollars into anti-legalisation impetus.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I think most police officers are fed up with arresting and charging people for this and want to see some progress being made.

I'm not in Canada, but I know that here in the UK most police officers really don't give a rats behind about people having pot.

I don't want to go into my own experience of police and pot, but I know several officers who don't give a damn whether someone has it, whether they're smoking it, or even to some degree whether they're selling it. On the scale of crimes needing their attention and time, this is nothing.

Police need to prioritize crimes actually threatening the lives and safety of citizens and stop obsessively pursuing minor things like this. I would rather have my police dealing with assaults, murders, harassment, threats of violence and hate crimes etc, than have them busting people for getting high in their own homes on a Friday night.

Ultimately legalization is coming, and so it should. The benefits of Cannabis simply as a tool for relaxation and stress management is known and has been for a long time - and it's FAR safer than alcohol.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Good for Canada

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

If they're going to legalise anyway, realise it's pointless clogging up the justice system with harmless soft drug users, then it's bizarre to continue to arrest and put soft drug users through the system as though there were no plans to legalise Cannabis.

I know the law is still technically 'active'...but there's is such a thing as common sense and turning a blind eye.

Why waste police time and tax payers money pursuing Cannabis users, after you've decided to stop wasting police time and tax payers money pursuing Cannabis users?

"but there's is such a thing as common sense and turning a blind eye."

Common sense is something many in government do not have.

iTruthSeeker

new topics

top topics

join