It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

laser guns...damn nerdy scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
k listen i wanna know if it is true that those N.A.S.A people are goin to replace are good old fashioned guns with lasers now i hate lasers and figured you guys nowing so much abiut the governments secrets would know so plz tell me....

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
why you hate lasers. I saw a show last night where they ahd a laser that shot down an artillery shell. and another that shot through a cm of steel.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
there good at taking down missles but i dont want to see the nice guns of the world like shotguns and handguns to be replaced.....that would make me very mad

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I wouldn't think that a laser gun would be a very good weapon for infantry. Yeah, it would be pinpoint accurate and there wouldnt be any loss of velocity or trajectory due to friction/gravity, but there is also NO stopping power. Unless of course the laser was a beam large enough to vaporize an entire person... Also, wouldnt the wounds self-cauterize (sp?) ? So unless you hit a really vital target like the brain or heart the wound would seal itself, and in a time of war I doubt any soldier under fire would be patient enough to take the time to aim at the heart or head; it's hard enough aiming for center-mass with bullets flying all around. (just my 2 cents)

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You dont have to worry about Lasers taking the place of guns anytime soon. The Lasers we have now THELS and the ABL use Chemical fuel and are really big fitting in a 747 or a very large truck trailer. We havent even made them small enough to fit in something like a tank size wise yet.

Lasers are not really any good for fighting heavy armoured targets like a MBT anyways, they are ideal for things like missiles or planes which only have a thin skin of aluminum titanium.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
First of all, Nasa would have nothing to do with it. Second of all your question is just plain dumb.

Guns as we know them today will stay like that for awhile to come, if they are replaced by anything in the future I would put my money on Metal storm, or electromagnetic guns, but regardless there will still be a projectile.

new topics

top topics

join