It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A UFO tale (What happened to my mom and her friend in the 60s.)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+55 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Greetings ATS.

Many of you may not know who I am while a few of you may remember my adventures here. Its been some time since I last posted and today I return with a story that changed my life and its the sole reason I have been obsessed with fringe topics such as UFOs since childhood.

A quick summery of what I am about to share follows-

Every since I was a small boy, as far back as I can remember, my mother has shared this story with the family. When she was a teen in the 60s her and a friend saw a UFO up close and personal in the area now known as "Oxford Airport" in Connecticut. This town was a hot spot for UFO sightings in the 60s, and I have spoken with over a dozen older folks from that time who also saw flying disks in the sky. From ex-girlfriend's grandparents, to the mailman, to parents of friends- all state they saw one or more flying disks in the skies above my town.

The story my mother told me goes like this-

Her and her friend were hanging out on the mountain, then they saw a large object flying with a orange under glow, hovering about 100ft above the ground very close. They got scared and went home telling their parents and family about it. They called the police and the radio, both said they were getting lots of reports during those days.

Now, I never talked to her friend because they have not spoken since the 60s. Recently her friend contacted her on FB to catch up. A real blast from the past. When my mother told me she spoke to her friend after all these years- I rushed to ask if I could type to her and ask her some questions. I spent my life wanting to hear the story from the other witness. Well here is the cut n pasted conversation we had over FB. It begins with my mother asking about the incident first.

FB Convo unaltered and unedited-

My Mom to her friend she hasn't spoken to in decades- Now this might seem strange, but I have to ask you a question about something that I think happened to us years and years ago. Don't laugh, I really believe this happened , have told my boys about it and Brian truly believes me. But sometimes I think maybe age is playing tricks with my memories. Hope not - my age says 62, sometimes my body says that as well, but my mind - well in my mind I'm still young, young, young - blue jeans, sneaker and tee-shirts all the way. Anyway here it goes.
Was there one nigh when we were driving around in my car, like we always were, and ended up on Wheeler Road - I think we use to call it Hoganog Road - it was off the road that Tom Kirby lived on - up past Rubber Avenue Extension. Anyway I have memories of us driving down this road, and coming to an area where there were these big high tension wire towers (hope you know what I's referring to) Anyway did we come to these towers and see a large, large object with lights just hovering over these towers,(and not making any sound) and did we stop then drive away and then look back to see this object just slowly moving away. And did we drive like a bat out of hell to your house and tell your father that we just saw a UFO? And did your brother Ed tell us about the Blue Book....and did we think that UFO were flying over our houses after this sighting. I surely hope so because that night is imbedded in my memory and I really think I saw a UFO. When I told Brian about it - he told me that back in my day the Oxford/Middlebury area had one of the largest UFO sightings in the Northeast. So please tell me, did this happen or is my mind playing tricks.
Anyway I hope it won't be another year before we catch up with each other. Will chat with you soon - peace out - Marti
Today

Her friend's first reply- Oh yea. That happened. And we were stone cold sober! I remember it like it was yesterday. When we told my Dad he said he hoped they'd land in the back yard so he could go on their space ship! He was as into it as we were! We were always seeing lights in the sky doing odd things in those days. Changing direction, speed and even color. I remember one time at Marie Watkins' house we saw lights go darting across the sky, come together in a group, then totally disappear! We told her brother, John and he called the Hartford radio station. They had hundreds of people calling them that night! Hundreds! Eddie told me that pilots in the air force were not allowed to speak of anything out of the ordinary that they saw while flying. So what's up with that? There has to have been UFO's out there and most likely the govt knows a whole heck of a lot they aren't saying. Maybe so we aren't all scared #less. Or maybe because the aliens are all living among us. LOL! So after leaving CT I never saw anything strange in the sky again. When I tell people this story they think I am C R A Z Y. But then they start to accept that it's true. There are way too many stories out there of people that were taken,etc to discredit it!
93 degrees here today! YOO HOO! I love summer.

Now I demand to question her and jump on- hello. I am Brian, son of Marti. she is letting me type this part. hi. i study the ufo phenomena. is it possible you can discribe for me exactly what you visually saw/ i dont think you are crazy at all and since i was a little boy i have wantedd to ask you this question. all love to you and hugs.

She replies to me- Hey Brian. I remember you when you were just a kid! You guys visited us at my parent's house. The UFO sighting was just like your Mom said. We were driving around, it's what we did in those days. I was sitting with my back to the passenger door (before seat belts) talking away to your Mom when suddenly we just saw this very large, metalic hovering object with crisscross bars on the under belly and yes it was saucer shaped with what could have been 'window's all around the sides. They were like set into the metal. There was no noise at all. It just was there. Well, your Mom was behind the wheel and she stopped the car and we just watched. Nothing happened and she suddenly got scared I guess and floored it! From my vantage point I watched it 'fly' off toward the horizon and when it got to be a speck of light in the sky it sort of sped up really fast and was just gone. I'd say it was about 30' in diameter and maybe that far off the ground.

My reply- wow. thank you so much. you have no idea how bad ive wanted to hear a second view on this. you just made my entire year. thanks and hugs. very exciting and your account has verified what my mom has told me my entire life, and has added even more details she hasno remembered to tellme. so awesome. Hugs!

Her reply to me- OH! One more thing. There were lights. Not really lights but a glowing sort of thing around the perimeter of the underneath portion of the object. Marti, do you remember that? We described it to my Dad like a burner on an electric stove when it starts to get hot. It wasn't bright or anything but glowed sort of off and on slowly. And you are very welcome! it's cool you are so excited to hear about it!! Hugs right back atcha!

So there yah go. I've been hearing this story from my mother since I was old enough to understand speech. My mom is not a story teller. Her second biggest story to tell is the time Stop-n-shop labeled a ham for 50 cents and they were forced to sell it for that much.

Hope you enjoyed this tale. I know I waited decades to hear the other half. Now you have read both sides. I have zero doubts that they saw "something".

MM

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Oh- and this stands as the first time I have ever really shared this info in detail.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Wow! Great story!!

The "burner" color - amber hot - that's what I saw too, when a perfect circle that color, silent, went over by me. It was underneath a heavy gray cloud cover in the middle of the day.

The moment I read the "burner light" part I thought, yep, that's it!

Thanks for sharing it! (You might need to remove names of folks in your post for T&C purposes).

- AB

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Mask

I believe every word, thanks.

I'm 85 miles from Oxford in the NE corner of CT. In 1981 I witnessed an enormous, brilliant tube of light shoot across the horizon near our home that was in Putnam, CT - in broad daylight. It was about a quarter mile away and my avatar is the article that was printed the next day in the Norwich Bulletin..That changed everything for me.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

I still live in the Oxford area, and about 8 years ago I saw something very similar. I've spoken about it on ATS more than once.

About 8 years ago me and my girlfriend at the time were sky watching and directly above us we both saw a giant "clean white" elongated light blink and than vanish. It was long and curved on each side like a popsicle stick. Exactly the shape of a popsicle stick.

The size was huge. About the size of your forearm if you positioned it over your head by raising your arm. Till this day it remains the only and weirdest thing I've seen in the sky that I couldn't explain.

But it didn't move across the sky. It just appeared then disappeared. It was a mathematically perfect shape. It didn't move or break apart like objects entering the atmosphere. it just popped in and then popped out.

It was so big and so perfectly white but didn't light up the ground or area.

My ex still tells people about it till this very day.

Thanks for sharing that story. Very awesome.

MM
edit on 22-4-2016 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

My mom just read your reply and she was like "See! Other people seen it". Thank you very much for telling what you saw.

As for changing the names and streets and stuff- I doubt that's important since those folks lived there in the 60s. If someone comes in here telling me to edit those places and names, I will. But I wanted to leave the correspondence untouched for prosperity and historic accuracy. I left the typos and bad grammar in there as well for the same reasons.

MM

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Mask

thanks for sharing that story of an event that happened to your mom and her friend!! who knows what's really out there!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Thanks! I wanted to leave this here for a few reasons. The most important being that I want the siting to be online incase I lose the computers or people the story rests in. Now its here and I can say its safe unless ATS explodes or gets erased.

I also wanted to see if anyone would show up from this area who may have seen the same thing.

My mom isn't a story teller as I said in the OP and anyone who talks to her comes out knowing she's very genuine.

I must say I do not rush to calling her siting an "alien ship". I can think of many things other it could be other than space visitors. Military testing of weapon platforms- being one.

But yah. The story is the sole reason I am so interested in the phenomena and it has always driven me to seek for answers.

MM

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I love these stories, it's why I came here in the first place.

These accounts from the golden age of UFOs seem to be the most honest to me.

Makes me wonder if they don't visit anymore.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I often wonder the same "why so many sightings before the age of cellphones". I have a few ideas-

1) Sightings were false, lies, mistakes or misunderstood natural phenomena.

2) They come in waves or got what they want already.

3) They are time travelers and only visit times where they knew technology wouldn't catch them often.

4) They upgraded to go undetected.

5) It still happens but much less.

The reasons can be anything really.

MM
edit on 23-4-2016 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Weird. I remember your name from the last time Astr0 ever made a topic. Your argument back then was extremely valid.
I was just a lurker back then though

Cool story. I firmly believe there is a lot of stuff within the inky sky at night that we just don't know. I've seen quite a few things that made no sense, like either planes can suddenly do a complete stop at high speed and reverse just as fast...
edit on 23 4 2016 by TheFatedOutsider because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheFatedOutsider

Oh Astr0, how well I remember his posts and stories. I would like to think I did make lots of valid arguments vs his claims.

I remember his defense was always "You don't believe in UFOs so you are not open minded".

I always replied the same way- "I am extremely open minded to the UFO phenomena, I just think your story makes zero sense and shows signs of intentional dishonesty".

Good times, good times.

Hey- glad someone remembers me! Yay! lol.

Tho I don't post here anymore, I DO read here still very often. This is still my fav site on the net.

MM
edit on 23-4-2016 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Mask

Oh Astr0, how well in remember his posts and stories. I would like to think I did make lots of valid arguments vs his claims.

I remember his defense was always "You don't believe in UFOs so you are not open minded".

I always replied the same way- "I am extremely open minded to the UFO phenomena, I just think your story makes zero sense and shows signs of intentional dishonesty".

Good times, good times.

Hey- glad someone remembers me! Yay! lol.

Tho I don't post here anymore, I DO read here still very often. This is still my fav site on the net.

MM

I post very little. My lurkerness has a habit of staying I guess. But yeah, I literally only reread all of it last night. I hate how it was locked for review and never opened up again. There were stupid inconstinicies within his story. I also hate how he was given such benefit. Anyone else would have been ripped apart.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Well I'm glad you came out of lurk mode to say hello. Now get a darn avatar so idiots like me can remember you by image. lol.

MM

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Greetings ATS.

Her reply to me- OH! One more thing. There were lights. Not really lights but a glowing sort of thing around the perimeter of the underneath portion of the object. Marti, do you remember that? We described it to my Dad like a burner on an electric stove when it starts to get hot. It wasn't bright or anything but glowed sort of off and on slowly. And you are very welcome! it's cool you are so excited to hear about it!! Hugs right back atcha!

MM

Thanks so much for persevering with this, you have actually given me the most accurate description of my sighting from around 1980 here in the UK.

I loved reading about your Moms experience, and your determination and lust for more information, but one line just clicked with me, and took me right back to the day again, thanks for that!

I saw a red glowing disc side on, and it looked flat, although seen from a mile away, it was next to a local landmark, so I can reasonably say it was 30 to 50 feet wide.

What I have never been able to do before is describe it!

That sounds stupid I know, but I had never seen a light like this before, I always said it was like a dull LED screen, but like a burner on an electric stove is as near as you can get.

That experience changed my outlook forever, and I hope you have your own one day.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Thank you for the story. Another addition to UFO lore.👍

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Hello Old friend, Thank your mama and her friend for sharing their awesome story! This corroborated eye witness testimony is so much better than todays rubbish You tube hoaxs.

Hugs Zazz.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Great story and I love that your mother questioned herself at 62, I'm 55 and question myself sometimes and you know what, it was always as I thought it was, for some reason as people get older they see age as meaning they are losing their mind, its hog wash..I'm as bright as a button

My wife and I had our own experience that I've related many times on here and like you it was HUGE, I said that if you stretched your arms out and opened a newspaper (one of the big ones) that the object still could be seen around the edges.

Like you I have no idea what it was, I've never shouted 'alien', I just don't know what it was other than something I've never seen in routine flight, this was classic triangle and amazing. You mothers story is also amazing, interesting it was above power lines, feeding / charging perhaps?

Give our love to your mother and friend, they sound like wonderful people and tell them age is just a number, ignore it...

All the best to you Brian...

Paul..
edit on 23-4-2016 by Mclaneinc because: ack, spelling...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Excellent story. It must have been exciting for you to get that corroboration from your mom's friend after all those years. You don't really hear these kinds of stories anymore, maybe the UFOs have gotten stricter about their (presumed) non-intervention policy or something.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I am extremely open minded to the UFO phenomena, I just think your story makes zero sense and shows signs of intentional dishonesty.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join