It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the end of the "special relationship" ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Over the years i have moved from respecting and liking Barack Obama.. to
loathing and despising him.

Our "Brexit polls" has moved in favor of remaining in the EU.. since
his *Visit*... Time to sling your hook back state side, you're not welcome here

I seem to remember a certain US ambassador being taped saying ""Fukk the EU".

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

I'd imagine one phone call from the ceo of a fortune 500 company to the presidential campaign fund manager would have it sorted out pretty quick.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yeah, so do i mate, so do i.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: mamabeth

I think it would be in England's best interest to leave the E.U. while they can.
The only thing is it may already be too late.

I notice your signature no longer includes your support for the English Defence League? Your view based on that support is hardly surprising.

And there is the main fallback position of the remainers...Ooh, if you want to leave you must be racist!"

Change the record.

No, it was quite a clear one, the poster I was responding to made it clear she supported the EDL as 'heroes' so I'm not surprised she would be for the vote leave campaign when immigration is being pushed as one of the deciding points.

You seem to be suggesting I'm playing the race card for the sake of it, no, I'm saying why that poster would agree with an isolationist approach.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

I agree with your sentiment on Obama but the Brexit polls don't worry me , the last election showed just how worthless opinion polls are.
June 23rd is the only poll that matters , in just two months we will know the outcome of what I hope will be an historic decision.

Time we took back control.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: rigel4

I agree with your sentiment on Obama but the Brexit polls don't worry me , the last election showed just how worthless opinion polls are.
June 23rd is the only poll that matters , in just two months we will know the outcome of what I hope will be an historic decision.

Forget the polls and look at what the bookmakers are suggesting, as they are very rarely wrong.

At the moment the remain is 1/3 and the leave is 11/4. It does vary across the various companies, but at the moment they feel remain is odds on favourite.

Of course I will expect things to change as we get closer to the referendum.

edit on 24/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I think it would be in England's best interest to leave the E.U. while they can.

I notice your signature no longer includes your support for the English Defence League? Your view based on that support is hardly surprising.

And there is the main fallback position of the remainers...Ooh, if you want to leave you must be racist!"

Change the record.

No, it was quite a clear one, the poster I was responding to made it clear she supported the EDL as 'heroes' so I'm not surprised she would be for the vote leave campaign when immigration is being pushed as one of the deciding points.

You seem to be suggesting I'm playing the race card for the sake of it, no, I'm saying why that poster would agree with an isolationist approach.

So you did a Boris and played the man, rather than the ball...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

assuming we win the vote, which I doubt, it will be fixed to high heaven

If the Brits can't even organise an honest election anymore, I sure hope they WILL leave the EU.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

You are in control already. It's not like somebody in Brussels thinks out some new unfair law and enforces it on you; actually each EU rule or regulation is debated in the EP (where you are represented by you chosen EP member), is debated and must be agreed on in the Counsil (the 'heads of state' so to say) and then, finally, must be agreed to by the national parliaments. Only THEN it becomes law in your nation.

Also, nobody took anything away from you. Actually, when the UK weren't a member, you begged, pleaded, whined and even asked politely to be let in - and the frigging French denied you membership status time after time. But you INSISTED to be a member of the EU. And when you finally made it, in 1973, things really picked up for your until then poor and underdeveloped country. You benefitted vastly from the EU.

If you must vote to leave, do so, But don't do it based on lies, check the facts.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Forget the polls and look at what the bookmakers are suggesting, as they are very rarely wrong.

At the moment the remain is 1/3 and the leave is 11/4. It does vary across the various companies, but at the moment they feel remain is odds on favourite.

I wouldn't say the bookies are very rarely wrong considering the last election they had a Conservatives majority at around 8/1. Bookies change their odds based on how much money is being placed on each bet. Considering bets on Remain have been consistently higher for months now, I would expect Remain to be the huge favourites from the bookies.

This story where a man placed £30k on a Conservatives majority proves my point...

Following the punt, the bookies cut the odds of the Tories to 6/1, while the odds of no party forming a majority were reduced from 10/1 to 8/1.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

8 percent representation in eu parliament
All main parties in uk parliament whip to pass eu laws.
Council of ministers shows that the last 72 times the uk opposed legislation it was defeated.

Ergo we have zero say in the law making process.

Here's a good piece in the europhile Guardian which shows the UK is the leading loser in th EU.
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

But you INSISTED to be a member of the EU. And when you finally made it, in 1973.

We wanted to be a member of the EEC a trade organization not the EU Superstate.

The European Union is a corrupt , wasteful talking shop who seem unable to do anything other than create new laws and regulations to the detriment of the people of Europe but benefit of big business , even Jean-Claude Juncker admited that recently.

“One of the reasons why EU citizens are stepping away from the European project is due to the fact that we are interfering in too many domains of their private lives and in too many domains where member states are better placed to take action.”

“We were wrong to overregulate and interfere too much in the lives of our citizens,” he added, before pointing to the executive’s drive to cut red tape as evidence of efforts to improve the perception of the EU.
www.euractiv.com...

things really picked up for your until then poor and underdeveloped country.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

8 percent representation in eu parliament

73 members out of 751 is actually 9.7 percent.

All main parties in uk parliament whip to pass eu laws.

I can't help it if they do, it's their (British) choice.

Council of ministers shows that the last 72 times the uk opposed legislation it was defeated.

Then they were a minority. Such is democracy.

Ergo we have zero say in the law making process.

You have the same say as all other nations. Its the exact same as it is in your own nation: if you voted UKIP, but say Labour wins the elections, is that "undemocratic"?

And finally, if you leave you will have naught percent of representatives, no say at all in the council and stil have to adhere to most if not all EU rules and regulations, if you want to trade with the EU or work in the EU.

I know, democracy sucks. But we don't have a much better system.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

It may be your idea of democracy, but it isn't mine or any other sane person's either.

If we leave we won't have to adhere to any damn thing the EU says. What a silly comment you made.

The only eu regs will be to do with quality of goods and services sold in the EU.

There won't be anything else we need waste our time with.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Why do you not read and comprehend all the evidence that proves that the EU is not only undemocratic but ANTI democratic?!

Like when the EU tried to create a constitution, the French and Dutch PEOPLE rejected it, so the EU rebranded it as the Lisbon Treaty. Just look at how democratic the EU has been to Greece and Cyprus...

Why do you continue to ignore these FACTS?

Back to the OP...

I can't see this being the end to our 'special relationship', when we vote to Leave the EU, nothing will change apart from that we won't have TTIP hanging over our heads.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Fingers crossed eh?
Of course, there's always the chance a tory government would go for TTIP outside the EU but that's a bridge we can cross when we get there.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Change the record.

So you did a Boris and played the man, rather than the ball...

The ball would be supporters of EDL are pro leave, that's fairly much a black and white statement - I couldn't do a Boris, I have no wish for the Trump type hair.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

When was the last honest election on either side of the Atlantic? You tell me.
edit on 5891642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There never should of been ANY special relationship!

Relatation implies "equals! and the UK is not a Equal to the USA!

UK is a subservient vassal of the USA.
That how it should be under nature and god.

edit on 24-4-2016 by Americanpatriot123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
Why do you not read and comprehend all the evidence that proves that the EU is not only undemocratic but ANTI democratic?!

I'm actually not a big fan of the EU either, but it is by far to be preferred over the old situation. I have lived long enough to have vivid recollections of those "good" old days.

Even for a simple citizen, the EU has brought great achievements. In 1960 a simple journey from my place to Spain involved having to change money 3 times (guilders to Belgian francs, Belgian francs to French francs and finally French francs to peseta's). You'd be paying for all those transactions and in effect loose at least 10 percent of your money to these money-sharks - each time. Also, it involved having to wait for hours sometimes, in a hot car, until you finally were allowed to pass the border. Imported goods were very expensive, e.g. good French wine or good Spanish olives were rare - and expensive. There was no default EU language, like we have now (English). Smuggling of liquor and cigarettes was on the order of the day. Obtaining goods from another nation involved a lot of import- and export documents to be signed and processed and invariably every nation involved in the deal wanted to be payed taxes. England was poor - very poor. If you don't believe me: this is a picture of a family in Birmingham, in 1960:

After joining the EU and adoptation of various EU standards, poverty started to decline rapldly. Coincidence? I don't think so.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join