It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the end of the "special relationship" ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So, as you know, the UK is about to have a referendum on our continued membership of the European Union.

Obama decides to come over and add his 2p worth to all the nutters predicting the sky will fall should we leave.

I don't think much of him interfering like this. It's no one's business but ours.

Anyway, after the usual guff about the special relationship he said that should we leave, the UK will go to the back of the queue for any potential trade deal with the US.

Here's a clip on the Guardian's page.
www.theguardian.com...

Now, Foreign direct investment in the USA is obviously a big issue, and in 2013 (Thanks to google, I know there may be newer reports but just picked the first, easy to read one) The UK was the largest investor in the USA. I think it is still the same.
www.ofii.org...
Page 3, look at the pie chart. $487Billion. No chump change that.

FDI to the UK shows that the converse is true also. $720Billion

en.santandertrade.com...

So, it's hardly likely that whoever is in charge in the USA following a BREXIT will be encouraged to hang around sucking their thumb instead of fast tracking a trade agreement is it?

If you have a look at Twitter, you might get a taste of the anti American sentiment that Obama has unleashed by his visit and the above threat. just type #F***OFFOBAMA into the search bar and you will see what he has done. (Replace the *s for the usual three letters).

Anyway, my opinion is that this is possibly the most idiotic, damaging speech by a US president I can remember...It must have felt like this when Eisenhower stabbed the UK, France and Israel in the backs over Suez.

edit on 44pFri, 22 Apr 2016 13:46:44 -050020162016-04-22T13:46:44-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
So, as you know, the UK is about to have a referendum on our continued membership of the European Union.

Obama decides to come over and add his 2p worth to all the nutters predicting the sky will fall should we leave.

I don't think much of him interfering like this. It's no one's business but ours.

Nor is our presidential election anybody's business but ours, yet Brits sure have a lot "2ps" opinion about that. So it's OK for Brits to weigh in on America's election, but it's not OK for Obama to weigh in about yours. The fact is most Americans don't give a rip how Britain votes--or Scotland. You will enjoy the consequences of what you do.

We shall enjoy watching.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Hard to say why the visit .Silent kind of a ass kissing / threatening .....strange for sure

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Just more idiots thinking that there opinion(s) matter because in one place they are important, while actually being impotent everywhere else.

Yes, the current president is impotent in many, many facets, especially because he thinks his opinion is of importance in such matters.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Are you referring to the same UK that just recently tried to ban one of the TOP candidates for President because of some words he used?

They even discussed it in Parliament... so yeah, get off your high horse.

I'm no fan of Obama, but it goes both ways. I couldn't count how many UK citizens have given me their "ideas" on how I should vote in MY election.

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

When the prick comes out and says that he would cede supremacy of the US Supreme Court to a trans-American court I'll listen to what he has to say.
He's a full of # hypocrite, he knows full well that wouldn't fly in the US yet wishes that we vote against sovereignty.

He won't even be president when the UK is negotiating trade deals after any vote to leave.
# him, I support his right to an opinion of course but # his opinion wishing my country to continue ceding sovereignty to the EU.
Prick.

/rant

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I think that Obama spoke the inconvenient truth that the Vote Leave campaign simply keep blustering over without giving facts and figures. So, the vote leave campaign says "of course the French will still want to sell us wine", "of course the Germans will still want to sell us their cars"...................... no sh!t Sherlock, why wouldn't they? What will we be selling them? Cars? Would they be the cars made by Japanese companies that may choose to relocate elsewhere given that the UK will no longer be in the EU and therefore not have direct trade access? Where is the answer to that - just one answer to that?

Your mind is clearly made up, good for you. I've yet to see a compelling reason to leave (the payment to the EU is not it seeing as we have no idea what the checks and balances will mean with regard to arranging trade with multiple countries independently, and the vote leave campaign can't even give the true figures and stupidly say that the money saved would all be spent on the NHS when there is no commitment to that from any political party that has a chance in hell of winning an election).

As for twitter, I'm not surprised that a lot of people don't actually understand this and think putting up the fences makes us better for some reason, I guess that's why UKIP got so many votes riding on a single issue.

As for him 'interfering', everyone is allowed an opinion, if he had said it would be better to leave I'm sure you would be hailing him as an open minded hero.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Nor is our presidential election anybody's business but ours, yet Brits sure have a lot "2ps" opinion about that. So it's OK for Brits to weigh in on America's election, but it's not OK for Obama to weigh in about yours. The fact is most Americans don't give a rip how Britain votes--or Scotland. You will enjoy the consequences of what you do.

We shall enjoy watching.

Hmm, we don't have dodgy Dave wading into the Presidential election though, do we?

There's a world of difference between members of ATS holding a particular view about any of the U.S presidential candidates and a leader of a nation who's only interest in the U.K staying in the E.U, is to ensure his precious TTP agreement is ratified by all countries within the E.U, including the U.K.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

We shall enjoy watching.

There is a difference between a citizen or subject of a country having an opinion and the head of state flying over to back one side in particular...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

When the prick comes out and says that he would cede supremacy of the US Supreme Court to a trans-American court I'll listen to what he has to say.
He's a full of # hypocrite, he knows full well that wouldn't fly in the US yet wishes that we vote against sovereignty.

He won't even be president when the UK is negotiating trade deals after any vote to leave.
# him, I support his right to an opinion of course but # his opinion wishing my country to continue ceding sovereignty to the EU.
Prick.

/rant

Your argument would hold weight if you were comparing apples to apples - it isn't. It's a knee jerk reaction that assumes the circumstances are the same and would be better placed if we were looking at joining the EU - we are already in. I think project fear is clearly being peddled by the vote leave campaign, shame they can't come out with actual compelling reasons to leave apart from nationalistic bollox, non sequiturs and the logic of a 16 year old who wants to be a politician.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

Are you referring to the same UK that just recently tried to ban one of the TOP candidates for President because of some words he used?

They even discussed it in Parliament... so yeah, get off your high horse.

I'm no fan of Obama, but it goes both ways. I couldn't count how many UK citizens have given me their "ideas" on how I should vote in MY election.
I refer you to my previous answer...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

We shall enjoy watching.

Hmm, we don't have dodgy Dave wading into the Presidential election though, do we?

There's a world of difference between members of ATS holding a particular view about any of the U.S presidential candidates and a leader of a nation who's only interest in the U.K staying in the E.U, is to ensure his precious TTP agreement is ratified by all countries within the E.U, including the U.K.

This isn't a presidential election though, is it? FFS, I really cannot understand the mentality of people on here. Do you know what to hear the views of others, or are you scared they will say something that goes against your own opinion so much??

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
doubled up
edit on 03pFri, 22 Apr 2016 14:26:03 -050020162016-04-22T14:26:03-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

What will we be selling them? Cars? Would they be the cars made by Japanese companies that may choose to relocate elsewhere given that the UK will no longer be in the EU and therefore not have direct trade access? Where is the answer to that - just one answer to that?

Just picking one point out of your post.

The ford motor company got a cheap, 80 Million loan from the EU to close a factory in the UK (An EU member) and expand one in Turkey (Not an EU member).

2 points spring to mind.
1 You don't have to be in the EU to have a factory owned by a multinational company which wants to sell it's products to the EU.

2 Being in the EU offers zero protection to industry of any kind in the UK.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Prick.

/rant

That's another thing, he wont be president by the time we untangle ourselves from the Eu (assuming we win the vote, which I doubt, it will be fixed to high heaven)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

We shall enjoy watching.

This isn't a presidential election though, is it? FFS, I really cannot understand the mentality of people on here. Do you know what to hear the views of others, or are you scared they will say something that goes against your own opinion so much??

No you're correct, we live in the U.K and will never have a Presidential election until we become a republic.

We all get it, you want to remain, that's your prerogative. See I spelt it correctly.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It all boils down to the fact that the UK sold to the whole world before joining the EC as it then was, and did not have to pay Brussels to do it, America, Australia, China, India, and Japan all sell to the EU, and don't pay Brussels for the 'privilege' to do so, so why should anyone else?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

We shall enjoy watching.

Its probably more important than a presidential election to be fair. Its a straight choice between one way and another. I really don't think it's becoming of a foreign head of state to weigh in.

How would the Yanks feel if the Queen stated she rather liked Donald Trump and wouldn't let Hillary set foot in any of her palaces?

It would be well out of order.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Prick.

/rant

Your argument would hold weight if you were comparing apples to apples - it isn't. It's a knee jerk reaction that assumes the circumstances are the same and would be better placed if we were looking at joining the EU - we are already in. I think project fear is clearly being peddled by the vote leave campaign, shame they can't come out with actual compelling reasons to leave apart from nationalistic bollox, non sequiturs and the logic of a 16 year old who wants to be a politician.

So we should listen to old Bammy, but not to our own politicians?

You must be drunk.

Edit - In every post I make, if you do not agree with it, you usually bang out the word bias. Your post is full of your own bias. I am beginning to question exactly what your intentions are?
edit on 22/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There is also the fact (completely ignored by the MSM) that the president of the USA will say and do what is best for the USA.

If the UK suffers but the USA gains an advantage (Through TTIP) he is still going to do what is best for his nation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join