It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton Super PAC Dumps $1M Into "Correcting" Users on Social Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The title pretty much says it all. Twitter and Reddit are being targeted by a well-funded campaign to spam, bury, and crap up online discussions. The twist is that the Clinton campaign appears to be coordinating directly with Correct the Record, which is illegal. Or rather, it should be, but somehow isn't because the internet.

Due to FEC loopholes, the Sunlight Foundation’s Libby Watson found this year that Correct the Record can openly coordinate with Clinton’s campaign, despite rules that typically disallow political campaigns from working directly with PACs.

“SuperPACs aren’t supposed to coordinate with candidates. The whole reasoning behind (Supreme Court decision) Citizens United rests on (PACs) being independent, but Correct the Record claims it can coordinate,” Watson told The Daily Beast. “It’s not totally clear what their reasoning is, but it seems to be that material posted on the Internet for free—like, blogs—doesn’t count as an ‘independent expenditure.’”

Said one Reddit user, "This explains why my inbox turned to cancer on Tuesday."

It sure does, Reddit user, it sure does. It also goes a long way toward explaining why our whole electoral process has turned into cancer.

Read more here.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
wait, I can get paid for this ?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Easy solution. Post a comment on Twitter with a bad spelling. Then according to a report in the Guardian newspaper, any white person pointing out the spelling mistake can be done for a hate crime.

Then show the world what she truly enjoys dressing in...

edit on 22-4-2016 by Rapha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

No you can't 'get paid'. You must volunteer.

The main stream medias developed over time solution to two way communication on the internet. Where everyone has a voice "we shall sow seeds of doubt and disinformation".

I'd say its working quite well. Anyone who thinks it isn't going on is either ignorant or one of the dis (informers).

Disinformation is intentionally false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately.[1] It is an act of deception and false statements to convince someone of untruth. Disinformation should not be confused with misinformation, information that is unintentionally false.

Disinformation (Wiki)

edit on 22-4-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Spookytraction

Not surprising at all. I think it's very similar to the fact that some of the superdelegates are actually paid lobbyists

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Correct The Record will invest more than $1 million into Barrier Breakers 2016 activities, including the more than tripling of its digital operation to engage in online messaging both for Secretary Clinton and to push back against attackers on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and Instagram.

source

Looks like this is the expansion of an on going astroturf program!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If it's volunteer only what's the supposed million dollar price tag for?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

You have to ask? Somebody's got to get paid. Just not the people doing the work.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The doublespeak being used is what really gets me. "Correction?" Yeah, Delbert Grady-style:

edit on 22-4-2016 by Spookytraction because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Election Justice (responsible for the NY lawsuits) had their facebook page suffer a take down. Last I read FB had not replied, to the question of why it was taken down.

Is the timing coincidental, I think not!

edit on 22-4-2016 by AlaskanDad because: there to their

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Networking and software to manage multiple user accounts and IP addresses. Most likely there is a core team that is paid workers too.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So this explains why I see so many pro-Hillary and "Well I USED to be a Bernie fan..." posts around the internet, but have met in real life hardly ANY Clinton supporters. . .

Ah ha...
edit on 22-4-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No you can't 'get paid'. You must volunteer.

The main stream medias developed over time solution to two way communication on the internet. Where everyone has a voice "we shall sow seeds of doubt and disinformation".

I'd say its working quite well. Anyone who thinks it isn't going on is either ignorant or one of the dis (informers).

Disinformation is intentionally false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately.[1] It is an act of deception and false statements to convince someone of untruth. Disinformation should not be confused with misinformation, information that is unintentionally false.

Disinformation (Wiki)

I was kidding. Well, mostly kidding, lol

I think there are a lot of koch employees posting in global warming threads. disinfo is so frustrating.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Blackwater AKA XE has a cyber branch the Kock bros could easily hire, Monsanto was rumored to have hired them a few years ago.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I have an idea! Let's do an experiment!

Someone make a thread with a really good Hillary-bashing topic headline, and let's see how many new people join and swarm on the thread.

Unless... they are here already?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

disinfo is so frustrating.

Safe bet is not believe anything the gubment tells me through the mass media.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
So this explains why I see so many pro-Hillary and "Well I USED to be a Bernie fan..." posts around the internet, but have met in real life hardly ANY Clinton supporters. . .

Ah ha...

Spotted that too. Seen similar in the past elections so don't put it past that tactic as not having to do with it, from; "Used to be supporter..." to "I have a question about __insert candidate___. If I agree with it I will vote for them." Of course, the answer(which was easy to find all over the net)was always one they didn't agree with then proceeded to say that's why they are a horrible candidate that just can't win.

If they can't win why bring in an army against them?
It's about shutting down the the commentary making it at least appear that support is in favor of the said party's favorite candidate. To keep the "dissenters" from corroborating. Also, they are afraid more people will start to support for the candidate they are trying to dismiss.

Also, had noticed, due to the behavior on some political pages, which had candidates information with a comments section, that they just were not run by trolls for the laughs that had comments deleted, berated, etc. But that they were rather by a controlled system.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I hate to say it...but i tend to scroll by new members because of the paid poster phenomenon. I always have.

In a prior forum, around the second Bush election, the forum was over run with pro Kerry posters that registered all at once. That experience has made me extremely cynical.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The thing is, I'd wager that MOST of these "paid posters" are probably not even living in America.

It would be a huge scandal if job postings were discovered and recruitment flyers seen advertising astroturfing jobs and paid shill gigs.

Nah, they'll hire a ton of people in India and setup a data center/hub where they just the folks a binder of talking points and scripts on how to react to certain topics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they even had it so organized that some people's jobs were just to create new accounts/usernames for distribution ... using a VPN to avoid IP bans and tracing.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
so according to this, they are paid, fwiw

link to article

This is a comical definition that does its best to hide the true purpose: Paying online trolls to support Hillary and antagonize Bernie and his supporters in an attempt to level the playing field. More language from the statement: In response to these attacks on supporters and superdelegates, Correct The Record is launching the Barrier Breakers 2016 digital task force. While Hillary Clinton fights to break down barriers and bring America together, the Barrier Breakers 2016 digital task force will serve as a resource for supporters looking for positive content and push-back to share with their online progressive communities, as well as thanking prominent supporters and committed superdelegates on social media.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join