It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the 'Tulpamancers': The Internet's Newest Subculture Is Incredibly Weird

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Tulpas are sentient beings imagined into existence using meditation-style exercises. Their creators, known as “tulpamancers”, form the internet’s newest subculture, meeting online at tulpa.info and the subreddit r/tulpas.

Ya don't say.

“I have three tulpas,” says Jick Clinton, a game design student from Plymouth. “They’ve been with me 20 months; their names are Twi, Dash and Scoots. They are three anthropomorphic ponies about a foot high.”

Jick has a very close friendship with the three ponies living inside his head. “With other people, there is always something you hold back; I guess I don’t do that with them.”

www.vice.com...

“The My Little Pony fandom was one of the first online communities to really grab hold of the tulpa phenomenon,” says Ele Cambria, a tulpamancer from Warrensburg, Missouri. “Bronies are very accepting of weirdness; they have that mindset of, ‘Wow, that's not normal; that's cool.’ The [My Little Pony] characters evoke a simple goodness… what fan wouldn't want one for a friend?”

I learn something new, every day, every day is exactly the same.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I'll start imagining one into existence who can make the tea.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
of course they are ponies what else would they be. I feel a troll coming from this sub culture

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I was finally able to make it all the way through the read...

how did I not know it would be "GONE SEXUAL"....

While voice is the most common way tulpas communicate with their hosts, tulpamancers can learn to stroke their tulpa’s fur, feel their breath on their neck and even experience sexual contact.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
My country, Poland

Do people really believe they are real and sentient?
edit on 22-4-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

So... Let me get this straight. What we are talking about is a group of people who have put a brand name and a subculture together, involving their imaginary friends/totems for the individual elements of their split personalities?

Listen, I do not mind a table top RPG, using my imagination to enhance an experience. Powerful nourishment for the mind, that sort of tomfoolery. But this seems more like asking to get a personality disorder, than exercising the mind.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I was finally able to make it all the way through the read...

how did I not know it would be "GONE SEXUAL"....

While voice is the most common way tulpas communicate with their hosts, tulpamancers can learn to stroke their tulpa’s fur, feel their breath on their neck and even experience sexual contact.

The way of all things...

Although mine will have to make a bloody good cup of tea before I'll start stroking it.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
TrueBrit I think it may well be beyond asking for a personality disorder; it may very well be one or a symptom of one. Switching bodies with a non real entity, sex with a non real entity, discussions with a non real entity. This is not normal behavior.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Oh...oh God...I just realised something. How long do you think it will be before someone brings a lawsuit on behalf of one of their imaginary friends?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Just watch. Someone will be accused of murder and they'll claim the tulpa did it. Or tulpa rights. Or tulpa lives matter. The social diseases this can bring about are limitless.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I heard of bronies several days ago on a local radio station and thought it was a joke.

We've all got our likes and hobbies but man, this is even more strange than a Brooklyn hipster.
edit on 22-4-2016 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
"Gods, demons, the whole universe, are but a mirage which exists in the mind, springs from it and sinks into it."

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Is the next religion about to display itself as it sounds kind of cute?

All though why they are picking My Little Ponies is beyond me - after sitting through a number of episodes with my little grand daughter recently. But each to their own, merry stroking etc

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Well that was an interesting read, atleast half of them seem to know it's a form of illusion that is happening but still adding to a delusional creation does the mind no good.

The mind is a powerful thing, it would be fascinating to study this group and see the power of illusion at paly. To see the change in a person as the illusion becomes stronger. After all these people a openly acting out and supporting each others imaginary friends.

At the end of the day though I hope non of these group members regret their actions due to mental health issues in later life and a false sense of reality. It starts small and snowballs it's way down into reality....Delusion can be a poweful and dangerous thing.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I guess the question is who thought you up? Must have been one twisted effer....

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I always thought Tulpamancers had something to do with the alleged creation of Golums?

This world just gets stranger as the days go by, ether that or im getting old. LoL
edit on 22-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Tiamat384

Oh...oh God...I just realised something. How long do you think it will be before someone brings a lawsuit on behalf of one of their imaginary friends?

Yup

Soon there imaginary freinds will get the right to vote and claim wellfare

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
And the professionals say mental disorders are mostly based on genetics... Pretty sure these people are going to cause their own psychosis without any genetic intervention

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This is enough to make me fear that progress of the human race has stopped, possibly turned around.... devolving.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join