It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Big Health Benefits of Sex, Affection & Support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
consciouslifenews.com...

Original source:

www.nhs.uk...

Taken from the first link:

Besides a heart full of love and a big smile, romance can bringsome positive health benefits.

Some scientific studies suggest that a loving relationship, physical touch and sex can bring health benefits such as lower blood pressure. Of course, no relationship can guarantee health and happiness, but cupid’s arrow can send you some health boosts.
Sex is good for your heart.
. . .
A hug keeps tension away

Embracing someone special can lower blood pressure, according to researchers. In one experiment, couples who held each other’s hands for 10 minutes followed by a 20-second hug had healthier reactions to subsequent stress, such as public speaking.

Compared with couples who rested quietly without touching, the huggers had:

lower heart rate
lower blood pressure
smaller heart rate increases
. . .
Sex Can Be A Stress Buster
. . .
Weekly sex might help fend off illness
. . .

A study in Pennsylvania found that students who had sex once or twice a week had higher levels of an important illness-fighting substance in their bodies.

. . .

People who have sex feel healthier
. . .

From 2nd link:

Loving support reduces risk of angina and ulcer

One study of 10,000 men found that those who felt "loved and supported" by their spouse had a reduced risk of angina. This was the case even if they had other risk factors, such as being older or having raised blood pressure.

Similarly, a study of 8,000 men found there was more chance of them getting a duodenal ulcer if they:

had family problems
didn't feel loved and supported by their wife
didn't retaliate when hurt by colleagues – in other words, they repressed their anger (researchers called this their "coping style")

Researchers suggest that stress, lack of social support and coping style can all affect a man's likelihood of developing an ulcer.
. . .

[re nun study]
While they've found some links between lifestyle and dementia (for example, higher education or positive emotions in early life might cut the risk of dementia), this isn't linked to sexual activity.

These articles are entirely believable, to me.

I'm glad studies like this are being done and solid articles distributed widely on the net.

There's a lot of potential in such facts improving the health and the relationships of millions of people.

I do hope that men who are toooo attachment disordered to gently communicate will avoid brow-beating their wives with this article to try and pressure for sex when the men spend little to no time making sex inviting for the woman.

I forget who Dr Hug was . . . can't think of his name. He used to say that everyone needed 12 hugs a day just to be and stay healthy--12 as a minimum. I know folks who haven't had 12 hugs in a year or in 10 years. That's tragic. Horribly tragic.

I'm a firm believer in lavish and frequent hugs--but without heavy-handed coercion. Some people need to ease into the hug pool one toe at a time.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Yet more reasons to legalize prostitution, because the negatives of relationships surely outweigh the positives.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LostThePlot

There have been some studies that have shown that the positive benefits of sex and touch must occur in a long term committed relationship to accrue.

The details are not on the tip of my fingers and I'm getting tired enough I'm about to go back to bed. But I think you are barking up the wrong . . . uhhhh . . . dance pole.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Totally makes sense. I know I am super tactile, and I'm lucky I found a man who is to... Before him I had some boyfriends who were a little irritated by how touchy-feely I am.

As it is, we are constantly hugging, kissing, holding hands.... we both have a tendency to initiate sex by saying "I need you", as if it is a matter of survival and health. -Which is exactly how we feel it.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Hugs always make me feel better. Especially from my granddaughters.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Having a dog does all of this too. A dog lowers blood pressure, stress and all that.

The message here is that people need affection and love. Sex is just an expression of affection, although the opposite would be true if the act was not in itself affectionate e.g. rape. Similarly, people in abusive or neglectful relationships may be more stressed than people in stable and loving relationships.

The studies state the bleeding obvious, but that's not a criticism because often we need to be reminded of the obvious!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I ought to be dead.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Homes for the elderly have lots of people needing hugs. A good percentage hug back pretty well.

And, occasionally, one can find a wait-person to give a side to side hug pretty readily to.

top topics

join