It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Novel Is Up! Besieging Heaven, Episode I - the Eradication of Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I have just finished writing my first novel, Besieging Heaven. This is Episode I - the Eradiaction of Time.

(click pic to start reading, pdf format)

If you want to read it offline, you can always download my novel to your device via this link: skieswanne.weebly.com...

The story is about a homeless man called Karl, who lived two lives (one in 1776 and one in 2001). His mind is damaged by reincarnation, and shrouded in mystery, but he nevertheless tries to live a normal life. However, the Alpha Star Command decides to target him and his friends. Hunted down and forced to investigate, Karl and his enemy's fate become intertwined - and both quickly learn that the one who wins the battle doesn't necessarily wins the war... and that the stake is nothing less than the heavens themselves.

Whadayathink?

edit on 21-4-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Congratulations!!! 👍

It's a huge deal to finish a novel and put it out there to the world. Thanks for sharing the link.

A B

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Sounds like a brilliant read

Congratulations on finishing your first novel, it really sounds like my kind of book. And thanks for the link

Cody

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599
a reply to: AboveBoard

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get feedback!

A couple of sneak previews:

A page from Part 1 (1776):

A page from Part 2 (2001):

edit on 21-4-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

cj6

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Sounds awesome. Can't wait to read it

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Sorry to go off topic

Your tagline in your avatar ........................ My name is barbor/barabor ?

Am I reading that correctly ?

Cody

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Yeah, you're reading it right. Means "sky swan" in hebrew.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I'll be reading this! Thanks.

Also, the Old English font is large enough, but I might question its readability? What the hell, I'll probably get used to it.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yeah, sorry, I really wanted to emulate an old book for 1776 - old pages with old gothic font, just like in old manuscripts.

I hope it's readable?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I've already read past it. Wasn't that hard.

The story is good so far. A few anachronisms, though, but I'm too much of a critic, don't mind me (I always get crabby & picky before a migraine. I should prepare.)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
swanne,

Man, congratulations on finishing this. I've been working on my novels for... too long. Stuff keeps coming up and I can't work on them.

*sigh*

I understand you made an aesthetic choice regarding the font and BG image. Personally I think it is unnecessary and, I'm putting my critic's hat on now, reads like a gimmick. The story, so far however, reads fluidly and is engaging from page one.

Congratulations once more on accomplishing such a daunting endeavor.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Thanks! Your critic of the BG images actually comes as a good news to me - I personally like the BG images, but you saying they're unnecessary implies that the story itself can also stand on its own legs if need be.

About your novel... I feel ya mate. Besieging Heaven took me ten years... The trick for me is music. It really gives me inspiration and alliws me to get in the mood for writing. Also, you could try writing non-linearly - write the chapters you like the most first, then write the more boring in-between chapters only afterwards.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Anachronisms? Well some of them are voluntary - three episodes are coming up so to gradually become more and more solidly sci-fi.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing the link, I'll look forwards to it. I'm half way through JustMike's book - we're kind of spoiled for literature here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
swanne, The story definitely stands on its own.

All my work, including a finished and ready to publish thirty-two page short story, is trapped on the hard drive of a currently inoperable laptop. But its fixable, so as soon as that gets done...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Anachronisms? Well some of them are voluntary - three episodes are coming up so to gradually become more and more solidly sci-fi.

You mentioned lighting matches in the 1700's. The first chemical matches, which were lit by dipping in Sulphuric Acid, were invented in 1805. The first friction match in 1827.

In 2001, battery technology was such that no mobile 'phones had bright screens. You also mentioned taking a picture with the same phone. The first mobile with a camera outside of Japan was the Sanyo SCP-5300, which was released November 2002. At the time, they only recorded still images, not video.

A 1 Gigabyte magneto-optical "floppy" (actually MiniDisk) did not exist until 2004.

Giga is the prefix for 100 million (10^9), not a million. Mega is the prefix for a million.

Time travel does not require infinite energy. A lot, perhaps, for macro-realm objects, but not infinite.

... still reading.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Ooh, you're good! Really good indeed!

Hehe, I should have consulted with you as I wrote the thing! 2001 was not a year I remember well, keeps on confusing it with 2005 - which was a hell of a year for me.

Though I am quite sure that Giga is the preffix for billion.

Kilo is a thousand (10^3)

Mega is a million (10^6)

Giga is a billion (10^9)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Not a computer expert, but perhaps connecting your dead laptop to a computer via USB cable would enable you to access your laptop's harddrive - the laptop system would appear as a drive on your computer which (in theory) you could click on and browse its content.

top topics

join