It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a problem with having Harriet Tubman's face on the $20 bill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Australia has sheep on theirs. Oh and the Queen.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Betting it's why they're changing the $20 now and not the $10 like the original plan was. Guess him being on the $20 was a sore spot for them and they'd like people to forget about him.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Ohh to hell with who is or isn't on the money, if we put cartoon characters on the money would that make everyone happy? You can't please everyone. Like it or not, many of the founders of the nation had slaves, it was a different time, it wasn't illegal it wasn't socially awkward. Regardless these are people of historical value and that is why they are on the notes. Replacing Jackson with Tubman on this note isn't something I would have done (mostly to avoid this nonsense), but I would have say minted a new note to honor her. Put her on a coin or something. Not like that has never happened. Either way is there a point in getting all riled up over it?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Drop all the old dead people off all the bills and put things like:

Apollo Lander
Statue of Liberty
The White House
Washington Monument
Liberty Bell
Space Shuttle
Yosemite
Golden Gate/Brooklyn Bridge
etc., etc.

They are banknotes, not the Library of Congress. The value of the bills aren't changing, so who really cares?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Absolutely.
On his gravestone it says "I beat the Bank".

They should have replaced that dirtbag Hamilton.

Aww, disappointing, I thought you were being serious! That would have been awesome, in a smartassey way!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
They should have put her with Lincoln and redesigned the five. It at least would make sense and still be a tribute.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
Drop all the old dead people off all the bills and put things like:

Apollo Lander
Statue of Liberty
The White House
Washington Monument
Liberty Bell
Space Shuttle
Yosemite
Golden Gate/Brooklyn Bridge
etc., etc.

They are banknotes, not the Library of Congress. The value of the bills aren't changing, so who really cares?

I like that. Maybe a crazy horse/Rushmore bill.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I just knew the upside down and backwards criticism of this was coming. Well, that is a rant is for, ranting and raving and usually not making much sense. So, glad you got that out of your system.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I disagree; putting the face of a former slave on the 20 insures that US guilt for slavery is enshrined and in everyone's face..................forever! This way US whites can never deny their unjust enrichment at the hands of the black slaves that built this country and made it what it is today.

I disagree with both you and the OP. It is the US treasury picking someone of merit to put on a bill. Like we celebrate people and things on stamps. Possibly, it was thought we needed a little variety on currency. A black female of great historical accomplishment is a good choice. Apparently, they willl do a series of this, on the back of some bills.

It is a good thing for our government to do and it will be exciting for currency colielctors. It might spur people to look up the life of Harriet Tubman.

Beyond that, I don't see why people want to make up conflicts or inflated fantasy reasons.
edit on 21-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Jackson was a slave owner who did more to help displace and eradicate the western and southern tribes than nearly any other. Yet his face was on such a well used denomination. He was anti-bank, yeah, but he was also anti everything not lily white.
He has the blood and pain of hundreds of thousands on his hands...because they were simply "savages".

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: enlightenedservant

As a reminder of what could be.

If he wasn't on the $20 even fewer people would know anything about him. As it is I think you'd be hard pressed to find an average American that could tell you anything about him other than that he is on the $20 bill.

Sorry, but that's no longer a valid excuse in the current Information Age. All it takes is a simple online search to get summaries of all of our Presidents and their accomplishments/failures. And Jackson's home, "The Hermitage", is a tourist site in TN. And "Old Hickory" is the name of several streets there, too.

Then you have people like myself, who've done some basic research on him. He was a slaveowner who kept more than 150 slaves while he was President of the "Land of the Free". He was a butcher of Native Americans and his first slave was a woman. And though it's widely swept under a table now, sex slavery was a large part of the American slave trade (and was one of the points abolitionists fought against).

Needless to say, I don't really like the guy. So I'm not really sure what you mean when you say "As a reminder of what could be."

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
How many days will it take until someone has folded it exactly the right way it will show a secret message on how to suppress the people another time?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ObjectZero

Betting it's why they're changing the $20 now and not the $10 like the original plan was. Guess him being on the $20 was a sore spot for them and they'd like people to forget about him.

They're changing the $5,$10,and$20 and putting histories women on the backs of them but keeping the regular pictures on front.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join