It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APS making history with advanced solar technology {AZ Pub Srv}

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
April 12, 2016 | By Barbara Vergetis Lundin

www.smartgridnews.com...

Arizona Public Service (APS) has become the first utility in the nation to deploy and control advanced solar technology remotely.
APS is installing advanced technology along with customers' solar panels to collect data that will help the utility better understand and manage the energy flowing into neighborhoods across the state. The utility can operate the solar installations as they would a power plant, ramping up or curtailing power based on customers' real-time energy needs using advanced inverters.
. . .
"Energy used to flow in one direction, from our power plants to a customer's home or business. That is no longer true today," said Scott Bordenkircher, APS director of Technology Innovation. "With the deployment of distributed generating resources like rooftop solar, energy now flows back and forth on the grid. Advanced inverters will help us better manage the grid -- for the safety of our crews working on the power lines, and so customers can continue to receive the reliable electricity they have come to expect from APS."
. . .

I guess this is progress.

Sounds like progress.

I just have a hard time trusting the electrical utilities further than I can throw a coal plant.

I hope this doesn't give them an excuse to tax solar installations on homes. Sigh.

I really like the idea of solar. Trying to figure out how to afford an installation--particularly since they plugged our gas well. Sigh.

edit on 21/4/2016 by BO XIAN because: plural left out

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I had hoped we would see some of these batteries that store electricity I have read about coming into people's homes that have solar panels. But ultimately I see this monitoring as a possible means of them being able to control how much power people can access from their own panels.

The more I hear some new control or basic check procedure is being put in place the more I see what could possibly be its ultimate benefit in either higher costs to us or - as with electricity - the ability to pull the plug on those the authority doesn't like politically etc etc - all in the good guise of monitoring and preventing crime of course. (The Sauds have this little law control with crucifixion as its reward if you are 'naughty and criticise 'em'. Wide leap but still reachable in the future.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I think you are absolutely right.

And it realllly rankles my sensibilities regarding the treasonous officials the propagate such hideousness.

Thanks for your kind reply.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Are you speaking of the Tesla Power Wall?

I believe that the systems designed to support that battery can be adapted to remove the necessity for grid attachment entirely. The only stumbling block therefore would be any regulatory legislation preventing any home or premise from separating itself from the grid, that might be in action in a given region.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I have read a couple of threads about these batteries so think there may be more than just one type. (coincidentally I thought part of our being so interested in Afghanistan was the huge deposits of lithium there but I doubt anyone could mine it with the chaotic individuals living there or infiltrating there).

They would be a great asset to families with panels and would free people off the grid in guaranteed sunny areas so I can see the political problems posed by independent power for people. The plug puller is a governmental must for the ultimate weapon against your public.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

According to them, they're doing it to collect data [that they can adapt to]. What their actual intentions are with that data, well...

They're for profit so whatever their intentions are, I'm going to assume it's for their own best interest.

Whether or not their best interest is beneficial to their customers, we can only guess.

My guess, though, is that, more than collecting data to adapt their practices, or equipment, to, they want to be the ones who own the data (so they can spearhead any bureaucratic initiatives on solar power) or they want to be the ones who own the real estate (so they can keep competition out / own the costumers). I mean, if it was really about the data (to help them adapt), why would they choose only the best houses (the houses must meet good solar criteria)? If it is really only about the data, why wouldn't they choose random locations?

Progress of profit?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Batteries are the key. Why would anyone want to sell the power they generate at home for a tenth or twentieth of what the power company resells it for. Batteries can be the most expensive part of a systen, but they give peace of mind.
I built my own stand alone solar power system that I run constantly. It consists of Renogy solar panels, giant UB8D gel deep cycle marine batteries, and Powerbright, pure sine wave inverters. The batteries are over 160 lbs each and are about $600 a pop. I dont worry about the grid going down anymore and losing all the meat in my freezers. If I dont have sun for a few days, I can run generators to charge my battery bank, while powering the house

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Batteries are improving and being targeted at the wind and solar market. There are redox flow batteries using various electrolytes, liquid salt, even saw a couple using water. One uses mostly water and the other mostly salt water. Cost and size vary (some are home based and others industrial sized).

Tesla quietly took their high end home PowerWall unit off the market. The speculation is they are gearing up for an announcement later this year. Possible they might switch technology as well (either improved Li-ion or maybe even redox flow type).

As far as power companies "gathering data"? Well, you know the old saying, and it is true in more than one sense, "knowledge is power".
edit on 21-4-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The real crying shame of it all is the absolutely huge sums of public money flowing into nuclear power stations and such would easily pay for 5000w of rooftop solar for every household and public building in the UK...for free to the consumer.

All of the panels installed, would then be connected to a National Solar Grid network, utilising these inverters...a back and forward flow of generated energy, able to diverted to requirements.

Surplus would be used for industry, manufacturing, schools, hospitals, public building and the like, as needed.

40,000 - 60,000 vulnerable people won't have to die of the cold every Winter...10's of thousands of new jobs would be created..manufacturing would be ramped up to provide the cells and frames, brackets etc. (steel plants would be saved...!) and everyone wins, including reduced costs to the tax payer in other areas, as we would more than meet our Kyoto carbon targets and so on.

What's not to like?

top topics

join