It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone lend some grey cells.??. please..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I've been having trouble with my DVD player (Power DVD),that came with the computer when I bought it.The other day I removed it with the idea of reinstalling it agian,hoping it would be better,sound & video where out of sync...
Not long ago I lost the original windows system disk that was supplied with comp(due to travels),I got a replacment but I only noticed yesterday that a mistake was made by the company and I got a dutch version.I asked if I could retrieve the file from the recovery disks,NO was the answer.I'm waiting for the replacement of MS sys disk,but the retailer told me I could still look into the dutch version and in a menu pick a lang..

I managed to find it with a search I ran,they're in a search file..The question is How do I get the file in it's proper place agian...I am somewhat lost because I've also downloaded Firefox and all the plug-ins that that needed..
And as that was'nt enough two days ago I unpluged the powerline & lost some system files,basically the upgrades to Sp2..So my computer has changed in cofiguration,I did some changes to bring it as close to what it was like but I'm feeling reluctant to do any futher twitches on it,unless I know for sure they're right ones...
I have been online all week,I actually went to a friend to check in on some topics here on ATS...I feel like I have a deranged computer,and that it's just not up to the 'safe ' task of going online....I could bring it in for a service but that means I will not have it for atleast 4weeks,I have a feeling that it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be..and i'm sure someone is gonna say just that.

It just came to mind that there are more than enough people on ATS with knoledge of computers....I am all ears...
Thank You's..

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What exactly are you saying that you lost some of your Windows system files or the software for the DVD drive??? It is easy to replace system files. You can use the system file checker utility. It is here:

WINDOWS/SYSTEM/Sfc.exe

Just follow the instructions to replace any file you want, or do a scan to check the integrity of the files.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have the full version of Power DVD in zip it’s 9,284kb in size you can have it if you like, U2U me and I can email it or file transfer with MSN, in the meantime Windows media player can play DVD’s. If I where you, I would fix everything else you messed with before installing anything else.
Sauron

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Thanks alot guys. I knew I could count on the community for support...
Thumbs up..

To relpy ;I think I lost the whole of the power dvd sys & the sp2 upgrade..
I will check the utility search to see if I can get the files I found with the search tool on one of the sys disks,though I'm not sure what i found is the complete data needed to run a DVD sucessufully..
So I'm seriously considering taking Sauron on his great offer...
I'll be in touch.. THANKS Guys....

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It is easy to replace system files. You can use the system file checker utility. It is here:

WINDOWS/SYSTEM/Sfc.exe

Just follow the instructions to replace any file you want, or do a scan to check the integrity of the files.
Are these some of the instructions...??
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc.

If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable, use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the contents of the Dllcache directory.

This looks Way to delicate for me,but I did come across the narrator,could I play blind & let him fix it,well as for Dum,I don't have to fake that right.....

Were should I type WIN../SYS../Sfc... ?? I'm not sure ..In the command promp.??...though i must add it would be the first time i would'av used this window...Excuse my Ignorance...next thing I know,I might just get thrown out of this community for my shining IG....

I could follow striaghtforward instructions,but I do tend to get lost when i have to read miles of info, & different possibilities,which just makes my head spin after 10min...

It's actually mad,how i'd choose not to ask my neigbour who's a develpoment & research engineer for software in labo machines,who also happens to work with my X...out of Ego,possibely..and instead ask the whole world for advice..

20min. later I tried calling My Wonderful X,mother of my son,to ask if it would be a'good' idea asking the guy for help...I had to keep the phone 2ft away from my ear!! so much for that idea..

So How do I contact this administrator(s)..... does this mean my computer will get rapped??I mean that I'd be handing over the whole thing to someone else?

I read something that said "Why you should'nt use your comp..as administrator... just one of 25results I got from typing admin,in 'HELP'!! ..

I have been hesitating in posting this for a day now,I even removed it befor pressing the send button.I really hate having to bring this rather stupidity matter back in the open...but scince I have'nt been using the comp for days now,it really needs to get sorted..egos aside....

Next day well it's past 1:50 in the morning so it's 2 days...I went next door and the wife told me she'd tell him to drop in ..After six 50cl/10% Beers I thought hey ..I can do this ...!!.. I found the restore point... & the empty cyberlink file,I have the full one one the system cd,but I still have to try baking this omlett. I thought Sauron said I could use the media plyer to play DVD's on ,well nada..nor real time & not even the inter actuall that is on the cd I'm trying to play,which only happens to be 'The Matrix'..

I have a feeling that even if I manage and I Will !! get the dvd file out of the system disk,I still wount have any Matrix on..this is driving me INSane...
I have even contemplated aremot assistance as crazy as that sounds to me..but I think that should be beyond the last choice..NO..??..If it's not fixed buy end weekend,monday He flies in the service shop....

Hell,I'm not even sure this classifies as Computer Help anymore ..sounds to me more like a Mega Rant....

Does anyone knows anything about Cyber Angles...any contacts anyone..! This post is starting to give me a headache too,it's time I let it go out of my sight.. So here it comes ..

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hey I managed this in 4 clciks...
This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem.
You have run into a problem that this troubleshooter cannot help you solve. For additional Windows resources, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Okay, I'll try to get help elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hours_ra LOL what is you problem exactly? You are using the computer now or is it another one? There is no DVD software bundled in windows, except for windows media player and I think you need the right codex drivers.
Is you computer working up to par right now, or is just the DVD player you have problems with.

this is very difficult to do over the internet, I imagine I could repair you system in about 4 clicks, hopefully your neighbor can get you up to 100%, you should get him to set all system file to hidden so you don't make them vanish as well. good luck.

P.S. my offer still stands for the software.
Sauron

[edit on 16/1/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
just have to do this ''' HALLE LULYA.."!! YIPPIE...!!
Persistence is mother of all Glory..!! Thanky Horus...

Sauron ,it's been a hell of a ride..but my Power DVD is back...with some help from next door......

I'll relax for now...I guess. but .......................................it's still not running smooth,there's static in sound & a stutter of video.....
But for Now I'm more than happy just seeing that Icon back................

Talk to you later..buddy

new topics

top topics

join