It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK comedian Victoria Wood Dies at age 62.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

ictoria Wood - who has died at the age of 62 - was one of the UK's best-loved entertainers with a career spanning more than four decades.
A Bafta award-winning comedian, actor, singer and writer, Wood was probably best known for her 1980s comedy series Victoria Wood: As Seen On TV and for her on-screen partnership with Julie Walters in the comedy sketch series Wood and Walters.
She wrote and starred in the hit BBC sitcom Dinnerladies and branched out into drama - writing and starring in the 2006 World War Two ITV drama Housewife, 49 - an adaptation of the diaries of Nella Last - which earned her two Baftas.

Yet another UK legend has passed away out of the blue after a short battle with Cancer.

This came as quite a shock and more so as MrsNonspecific is a huge fan.

She was one of the only female comediennes to make me cry with laughter and was a true leader in her profession.

I imagine that her comedy would be odd for anyone outside of the UK as she often played characters based on regional accents and attitudes.

She was also a talented comedic song writer. Her most notable song below.

edit on 20/4/2016 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
I take it you have linked to "Barry and Freda", but there seems to be an error in the Youtube number.

I see now corrected.

edit on 20-4-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You mentioned Dinnerladies;

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's a real shocker.

She seems to have been around forever and yet only 62.

Can't say she was a favourite of mine but I acknowledge her achievements.

She went underground for years and then popped up in a series as a travel guide. Quite good, I watched it.

Like a lot of former comedians who reinvent themselves and get a second lease of life.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I really loved Dinnerladies as it was about as British as you could get, she nailed the characters and Stan was a particular favourite of mine, I would be interested to see if any non UK members get the humour or if they would think that it was a documentary

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

For me it was " Acorn Antiques " Wood along with the great Julie Walters

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

For me it was " Acorn Antiques " Wood along with the great Julie Walters

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
You mentioned Dinnerladies;

Absolutely loved Victoria Wood, a very intelligent wit and dinnerladies was a great comedy.

"We would like to apologise to our viewers in the north, it must be awful for them."

Goodnight Victoria and thanks for the many many laughs.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I can't believe she was 62! That's my mum's age and I would have guessed she'd be in her 50s.

I was in the gym, curling 5kgs like a beast, when it came on the big TVs. They showed a bunch of clips and it took me back to being a kid. It's not as shocking as Rik Mayall's death but it still left an impression. She was more mainstream and conventional for my tastes then and the older you get the more you respect the 'old guard' of comedy.

Whatever the case, she was never in the press for negative reasons and seemed like an all-round lovely person

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

This was such a shock, someone told me today at work. She was genuinely funny and seemed like such a good soul. First Ronnie Corbett, now Victoria Wood.

RIP Vic

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
I'm approaching the age when I will be able to react like my parents reading the local obituaries; "She was very young; she was only 62".

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

RIP to an absolute genius. The Ballad of Barry and Freda is simply a work of art. Victoria Wood is truly someone who opened doors for many and her 'serious' acting is equally excellent.

RIP

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Kandinsky
I'm approaching the age when I will be able to react like my parents reading the local obituaries; "She was very young; she was only 62".

I'll meet you when you get here

It's been that way for me for a couple of years now. If someone doesn't make it to 70, I sigh and think, 'So young!'

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Although I was never a big fan. My mum was. It's sad though. Seem to be losing a lot of the old favourites recently. Heaven must have been in need of cheering up

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Although I was never a big fan. My mum was. It's sad though. Seem to be losing a lot of the old favourites recently. Heaven must have been in need of cheering up

I just thought that maybe with all the horrible crap going on in the world that maybe God needed cheering up and pulled a few of the good ones up early.

Imagine looking down on what has become of the world and thinking "man this is awful, I want Lemmy and Bowie here to cheer me up. Oh and Ronnie Corbett and Victoria Wood! they are both really funny, that'll cheer me up!"

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
She was a VERY VERY funny lady. R.I.P

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

I just thought that maybe with all the horrible crap going on in the world that maybe God needed cheering up and pulled a few of the good ones up early.

Imagine looking down on what has become of the world and thinking "man this is awful, I want Lemmy and Bowie here to cheer me up. Oh and Ronnie Corbett and Victoria Wood! they are both really funny, that'll cheer me up!"

Funny idea.

Ok god, you have enough entertainment. You can stop killing off our more beloved stars.

new topics

top topics

join