It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Supreme Court rules Iran must pay almost $2bn

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Ironically, Russia's "nuclear option" against Western sanctions was similar to this. They vaguely threatened to freeze or nationalize all Western assets in Russian territory if the sanctions went too far. It's a similar possibility for China, which is why any "tough talk" against China is just political posturing. Imagine if China froze all Western assets in its territory.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Wouldn't they crash their own economy if they did that?

China's economy is linked to ours and so is Russia's economy.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

Not as much as the US seems to believe.

US policy makers still seem to think it is the 70's.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

US Supreme Court rules.....

The US Supreme Court is only Supreme in the US , let then rule if it makes them happy.

How much does the US owe Iran for this ?
US warships shoot down Iranian airliner

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Most likely. In fact, it would probably directly lead to war, depending on how much was frozen or nationalized.

China needs to continue selling its exports and it desperately imports oil and natural gas. Iran and Russia could help with the oil and natural gas. But China also has a lot of investments in the West which could be frozen through retaliation. In fact, China is one of our 3 biggest trade partners both in imports and exports. There's no way either side would honestly destroy that relationship. That's why it's a "nuclear option", because of how devastating it would be.

I can't really comment on Russia though. I thought I'd figured out the dynamic between Europe and Russia, but the last few years completely obliterated my theories. I literally never would've believed that the West would keep placing sanctions on a Putin-led Russia, much less double down on them. And the constant military drills and showcases near Russian borders was even crazier (especially since so many Western countries rely on Russian energy and being able to export to Russian markets). And a figured a situation like Ukraine was off the table after the failure in Georgia.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Iranian GDP stood at 425.33 billion US dollars in 2014 , I imagine with the lifting of sanctions and increasing oil exports that figure is likely to be higher now.

I doubt 2 Billion would bother them.
Source

edit on 20-4-2016 by gortex because: edit to add link

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I doubt 2 Billion would bother them.

You would be amazed. Major trade disputes have started over significantly less. Couple that with preexisting tensions, and you have a pretty solid recipe for ugly.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
gotcha
Sorry, I hadn't read that far, just "US Supreme Court has ruled that Iran must pay nearly US$2 billion in compensation"

No worries. It was further down in the article.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Only problem is that many believe that it was a false flag coordinated with the help of or fully executed by the Mossad.

In August of 1982, the US Marines take part in the evacuation of 14,000 Palestinians.

Within two weeks after the departure of the Marines, Ariel Sharon oversees the genocide of the Sabra and Shantila refugee camps responsible for the murders of approximately 5,000 elderly men, women and children.

Many of the bodies found had been severely mutilated. Many boys had been castrated, some were scalped...[71]

Janet Lee Stevens, an American journalist, later wrote to her husband, Dr. Franklin Lamb, "I saw dead women in their houses with their skirts up to their waists and their legs spread apart; dozens of young men shot after being lined up against an alley wall; children with their throats slit, a pregnant woman with her stomach chopped open, her eyes still wide open, her blackened face silently screaming in horror; countless babies and toddlers who had been stabbed or ripped apart and who had been thrown into garbage piles."[72]

After word got out about the genocide, Marines intervened to stop the massacre in Sept of '82 and were ordered back into Lebanon.

Apparently this angered Israeli leadership, specifically Prime Minister Begin who was once the head of the Irgun terrorist organization.

They then green lit the attacks against the US Embassy in April of '83 and then a few months later against the marines in Oct of '83.
your numbers are way off, between 800 and 3500 are the actual UN numbers, also you appear to blame israel for the lebanese terrorist bombing of the US embassy (in the lebanon), during the lebanese civil war (an obvious link to iran? erm), the only guy claiming this, surprisingly has been proven to be a liar.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The USA is just avoiding the 100s of billions it has to repay iran ........as much as possible anyways.....
get ready for sanctions part deux....

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

How much did Iran get after the nuclear negotiations and the sanctions lifted, a couple hundred billion? I'm sure they'll say they won't pay and use mean words but at the end of the day will pay up. Seems everyone always pays Uncle Sam, from bankers to Iran!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

US Supreme Court rules.....

The US Supreme Court is only Supreme in the US , let then rule if it makes them happy.

How much does the US owe Iran for this ?
US warships shoot down Iranian airliner

COnsidering the airliner didnt obey orders to deviate thats their fault. ALso... the IFF was reading as a Iranian f-14.

As soon as the airplane was down a rescue was dispatched and when arriving to the area quite a few of the bodies recovered showed signs of having been dead for far longer than claimed. In other words a set up with already dead people flew by auto pilot and or remote.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join