It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are waking up, now let's open our eyes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Political season is an interesting season indeed. Far colder than winter, far more intense than any summer, the changes you can see when you look around can be as obvious as the changes brought by spring, or autumn. People come out of their shells more, they speak up, they inspire, aspire, they debate. They rant, riot, and violate - it is certainly an interesting season indeed.

Those of us that have been around for some years recognize this season and know what to expect, we've seen the candidates with their messages, we've seen the promises made to the masses, we've seen how the media works - all of this is par for the course, it's the usual.

One thing, however, is not.

It seems across America people are starting to wake up, starting to realize that America is by definition an oligarchy, that we have a class of people that are not held accountable to the law, or anyone other than themselves. We have candidates who's entire campaign mottos are based on anti-establishment ideology and these candidates are far more popular than anyone could have guessed even last year. More voting fraud and otherwise unfair situations are happening or being noticed, we have huge amounts of people realizing that the system is not meant to benefit them... However....

While I do not pretend to be all-knowing, I would like to present my thoughts on the matter, and see what you fellow members think.

I believe Americans are starting to wake up. I believe they are starting to realize more how our nation is being manipulated and controlled, how there's a class of people they will likely never join that are not accountable or responsible to laws, citizens, or otherwise even our Constitution.

What I find unfortunate is not as many seem to have opened their eyes. They believe the answer to their ails are the very people that have been a part of this higher class for decades. They are only being further manipulated to believe that their prayers and wishes can be granted by the very people who have created these circumstances in the first place. It is not without a deep sorrow that I say, the masses seem to be the very ones shoveling themselves deeper into this hole, they are spreading this disease further and further all while believing they are going to find a cure.

To elaborate, let me ask you a simple question.

Which candidate is calling for a massive reduction in the size and power of a government that has been proven corrupt?

Peace be with you, fellow members. I eagerly await your replies.

TheCentristPhilosopher

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheCentristPhilosopher

A lot of people are still asleep because they don't care and just live their life as it is, they are doing great and big problems beyond them self is put aside.

The middle class has a lot of these people.

The poor have lost their fighting spirit, they rest and hope for a miracle, there is nothing they feel they can do anyway.

The rich, well they are rich, so why worry.

US citizens is still asleep, until something breaks for real.
edit on 20-4-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I hope more will happen to put people on the path of change, it is unfortunate that those circumstances may be war, famine, slavery - rather than the signs of those circumstances that may come our way.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I say we need a larger and stronger government. A government that is not a laydown whore for the oligarchs. I say we need a government with the cahonees stand up to those corporate bullies and put them back in their place, as servants to the people. I say it should be our government, our government, the manner by which we the people rule ourselves not the instrument by which the oligarchs befuddle us. Smaller government is not the answer for in the absence of government all will turn to the corporations for everything and our last hope of being a free people, free to choose our leaders and guide our future will be doomed to the needs of only the rich.

There seems to be this idea that less government is the answer. That in that state all the people will roam free and excell in their own excellence. That with less taxes stolen from our pockets we can build our own personal pyramids of power and wealth finding new horizons for individual freedom and expression. I say bollix to this. Sure it sounds great, but it leaves one thing unaccomplished. It leaves the oligarchs, still there making their easy money selling us what we need for our daily survival. The corporations that at this time run OUR government.

I say we find and vote into office people who believe this. People who believe that government is OUR government and that it is the only and necessary tool to fight for our freedom that we have left. I say don't abandon it but take it back and make it ours again.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Those awake should just keep shouting then maybe the wake up call will affect the rest, it's a tough one though.

The presidential election is only a sideshow, a lot don't really care, they see the same # no matter who's being elected.

The corruption is not directly provable, so people let it happen...sad, if anyone tried the same in my country(Denmark), we would all be on the street shouting for justice, it pays living in a small country, every one knows every one.

We have sleepers too though, just not as many.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

To elaborate, I am speaking of the federal government.

There is no need for a large and powerful federal government.

As for more local government - I believe in all citizens knowing they can have a voice. I believe in a very active and lively state, city, and county governments.

So, in a way, I agree with you. I believe many, many more citizens should participate more, and serve office in their local and state governments, and have these voices heard on a federal level if it is believed important enough to apply to an entire nation, though I would caution against involving the federal government in most cases - they were designed to handle international affairs, our military and the like. They were not designed to be involved in our every day lives.
edit on 20-4-2016 by TheCentristPhilosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

While I agree with you that our self governing is best accomplished on a more local level, neighborhoods, municipalities and states, I think we have for so long let things develop so that control only on local levels will no longer suffice to preserve our freedoms.
You suggest that the federal government was designed to handle international affairs. I suggest that this is not only for military necessity but now for any and all international threats. The threat that I refer to is international corporations. These are not organizations that seek to rule only a neighborhood or city, but the entire world.

We need people to take control locally, to push out the products and power these corporations have on our communities. However as we have also let the corporations take control of the federal government these local and state controls are easily over-ridden. We need our government strong enough to hold the increasing power of corporations in check. Pipe dream? I admit. However I ask, how can the ever increasing development of corporate consciousness be overcome?

It is said that people are waking up. I agree but only to a degree. Waking up to the fact that we are being water boarded is one thing. But blaming the water is not the answer. The question is who is pouring the water. Right now the water is the federal government while the pourer are the corporations.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I respect your opinions, but I do not agree.

Government is the reason these corporations thrive.

Government regulation kills small businesses, and favors large ones.

Trade pacts are written by both corporations and government, and favor the two as well.

Two positions of power are most prominent, those in a political position in a national government, and those with money. The two love each other, and you will never separate the two, in my opinion.

Make the federal government smaller, however - and there's not a huge and powerful political entity for huge corporations to become cozy with.

Make federal government smaller, education could be reformed and students could actually learn more about economics, purchasing power, ethical business practices and the like. A well informed consumer, along with a less restrictive business environment would be the worst enemy to huge unethical corporations.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Government is the reason these corporations thrive.

Yes, because we the people have let them take control of our government.

Government regulation kills small businesses, and favors large ones.

Yes, because the large corporations that control our government use it to kill small competition. These corporations are not about competition.

Two positions of power are most prominent, those in a political position in a national government, and those with money. The two love each other, and you will never separate the two, in my opinion.

Like I said, it is my pipe dream.

Make the federal government smaller, however - and there's not a huge and powerful political entity for huge corporations to become cozy with.

Very good point. But the huge government you think of is an alienated government, one that is used by the corporations to alienate the people from the very idea that we might be self governing. But even more, I think that now, that this point, making government smaller would only be making the tool of the corporations smaller. And at this point I think that in place of government, people would be forced more and more to rely on the drippings of corporate fat in order to survive. We have seen how that rubric of 'trickle down' does not work.

Make federal government smaller, education could be reformed and students could actually learn more about economics, purchasing power, ethical business practices and the like. A well informed consumer, along with a less restrictive business environment would be the worst enemy to huge unethical corporations.

And how would we fund these schooling techniques? That funding would be corporate funding. We have it now. It is called philanthropy. Corporate donations. At this point these are only masks worn by the corporation to assuage public opinion, to put a smiley face on the corporate monstrosity.

When we are all in thrall to corporate power how will we teach our children anything other than corporate policy, corporate power and corporate mentality. The economics our children would learn would be economics only for corporate benefit. Purchasing power would teach them about coupons and sale prices only. The ethical practices would be corporate ethics.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Do you think Trump will lead us to the political promised land of an ethical, smaller, and voter based anti corporate government?

I don't!

Do you think that Trump supporters are "awake" and can change the parameters of our existing political condition?

cudos on a very subtle Trump endorsement btw.
edit on 20-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

"They believe the answer to their ails are the very people that have been a part of this higher class for decades"

Trump is included in this list - I do not believe him to be an ethical billionaire, I believe he is in his position in part due to favors from politicians/him giving money. This is only an assumption, I do not present this as a fact.

However, I do not endorse trump whatsoever. He does not make me feel at peace, he does not seem to be an altruist at heart.

top topics

join