It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three government officials to be charged in Flint water crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Michigan's attorney general will announce criminal charges Wednesday against two state regulators and a Flint employee, alleging wrongdoing related to the city's lead-tainted water crisis, according to government officials familiar with the investigation.

Source

Finally, people are being held accountable.

These are the first set of charges filed in relation to Flint’s water crisis. They include violating Michigan’s drinking water law, official misconduct, destruction of utility property and evidence tampering, according to an anonymous official. All the makings for a good conspiracy.

If you haven’t been following the issue,

For nearly 18 months after Flint's water source was switched while the city was under state financial management, residents drank and bathed with improperly treated water that coursed through aging pipes and fixtures, releasing toxic lead. Republican Gov. Rick Snyder announced in October that the city would return from the Flint River to its earlier source of treated water, the Detroit municipal system. But by that time, dangerously high levels of the toxic metal had been detected in the blood of some residents, including children, for whom it can cause lower IQs and behavioral problems.

The city has been under a state of emergency for over four months, requiring residents to use sink filters and drink bottled water. The investigation launched last January consists of twenty outside attorneys and investigators using a budget of $1.5 million.

In addition to the lead contamination, outside experts also have suggested a link between the Flint River and a deadly Legionnaires' disease outbreak. There were at least 91 cases, including 12 deaths, across Genesee County, which contains Flint, during a 17-month period. That represents a five-fold increase over what the county averaged before.

After Flint switched it’s water source to the Flint River, lead corrosion controls were not put in place, causing the DEQ to acknowledge that it had misread federal regulations and wrongly told the city that the chemicals were not needed. How the hell could you be so careless? Not surprisingly, after the crisis reared it’s ugly head, DEQ Director Dan Wyant and the department’s communication director Brad Wurfel resigned.

Snyder announced the firing of Liane Shekter Smith, the former chief of the DEQ's Office of Drinking Water and Municipal Assistance. A district supervisor in the office, Stephen Busch, is on paid leave after being suspended earlier. Mike Prysby, a district engineer, recently took another job in the agency.

A supervisor at Flint’s water plant actually testified during a legislative hearing that Prysby, one of the engineers listed above, told him that phosphate was not needed to prevent lead corrosion from pipes until after a year of testing was conducted. That seems like a load of BS to me considering back in April 2014, when the switch was made, residents immediately began to complain about the water’s color taste and odor. It appears those complaints were left largely unheard.

Susan Hedman, the director of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Chicago-based Midwest office, also resigned.

Its time to clean up this mess and do what’s right for the community. Our officials need to be held accountable and this investigation should've been started a lot sooner. Maybe they prolonged it just long enough to let the cowards run and hide. Anyways...

One by one, they all fall down!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

That's great to hear, it just sucks that certain people are often "sacrificed" so the big wigs can keep doing their thang

I'm not sure how dirty Snyder's hands are in this, I know people wanted him to resign, of course he wont.

It seems like the people who make the executive decisions, or benefit the most from tragedies like this, NEVER see any consequences, while a lot of other "pawns" and less "important" folks get sh*t canned.

At any rate, at least a few guilty sacks of sh*t resigned..

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

They need to check officials links to Nestle ... follow the money ...

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I think it's Snyder who has vowed to drink Flint water for the next 30 days to "prove" it's "safe".

Now that folks have been charged, it would be a good time for anyone with municipal water complaints ANYWHERE to start making calls to get it checked.

I'd guess it'll get dealt with as these heads roll.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

I think it's Snyder who has vowed to drink Flint water for the next 30 days to "prove" it's "safe".

Now that folks have been charged, it would be a good time for anyone with municipal water complaints ANYWHERE to start making calls to get it checked.

I'd guess it'll get dealt with as these heads roll.

Yup, Rick Snyder did vow to drink the "safe" water for 30 days. Apparently, researchers declared that it's safe to drink as long as a filter is used.

He's gonna get sick...

If anything, I think it's time for him to resign

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

It's great that people are finally being held accountable.

Now, when you see people on these very forums complaining about bureaucracy and red tape, their taxes and "big government", remind them that this would be happening all of the country in everything from water to farming to health if those things were not in place.
Without those regulations, without those standards, without those laws in place this would be a pandemic - just as it was before those systems were put in place to prevent these things and hold people accountable for corruption, greed and failure.

Those who make decisions like this should be held to account, and they should be punished accordingly for their corruption or failures.

It's going to be interesting to see just who takes responsibility for making these decisions, and what kind of punishment they actually get.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Please! Corruption happens whenever you have a system in place that is complex and has money to any degree.

Look at what's going on here where I live. You have a well-off public school district outraged because it's paying its superintendent just north of $400K/year now. The contract was renewed after only one year. The super now makes more than the state governor.

Guess who helped him renegotiate? One of the two law firms that the district is contracted with ... oh, and he happens to have a romantic relationship with one of the lawyers at that particular firm.

But it's all good! The district investigated and found no signs of misconduct ...

But, of course, I'm sure that corruption ONLY happened because the district's taxpayers wanted less regulation and taxes rigtht?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Snyder was led to believe a lie just as many others were. The people who pushed this to save a little money are the ones we should be looking at. Selling of a product or service causes a few lies to be created and some of these people have prestigious credentials. The governor believing in these lies is a problem but a lot of people believed in the lies in this case. How was the governor to know that the supposed experts giving him the information were not reliable. Look at our last governor, she screwed the people over by reducing liability of pharma companies before leaving. She also made it pretty much impossible to sue a doctor who messed up your life with constant misdiagnoses. I learned to always research what they tell us. A good doctor is right most of the time. Wish we had more of the good doctors.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

First of all, I'm sorry for my lack of reply in previous threads and often late reply to others.

I'm not sure how dirty Snyder's hands are in this, I know people wanted him to resign, of course he wont.

It all depends how much people have been paying attention to the news. Michael Moore, love him or hate him, has amassed over half a million signatures calling for his arrest.

While Snyder is not directly at fault for the lack of regulation and oversight at Flint's water plant, he is responsible for downplaying the severity at the expense of the resident's health and wellness.

At this point, he has proven his inability to handle such a crisis and whether or not he conspired to cover up the extent of damages for reasons other than saving his own ass is yet to be seen.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

So he says...

Gov. Rick Snyder said he visited a Flint home on Monday and drank filtered water out of the family's kitchen tap, adding that he plans to continue drinking filtered Flint tap water for the next 30 days to show it is safe.

Snyder told reporters in Flint that he filled three, gallon jugs with the water. "I'm going to start drinking that tonight and do it for the next 30 days," Snyder said during a visit to a water distribution station at Greater Holy Temple Church in Flint.

Asked if his family also would be drinking the water, Snyder said his wife "Sue is on board with this." His three children no longer live at home.

Link

Yeah, until he pulls the old switch-a-roo after taking the water back home. Does anybody seriously believe that he's drinking the same water that the rest of Flint's residents have been told is safe to drink?

If so, the jokes on him!!

Lead levels in some homes are so high that those water filters aren't physically able to filter that lead out, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality announced the evening of January 30.

I wonder if he's being given the "guided" tour in which to reinforce his PR campaign against the residents of Flint? The man is pond scum and at this point, lacks any redeeming social value or credibility.

Nakeyja told Skolnik that after running her water through the government-issued filter, lead levels registered at 184 ppb (parts per billion) — well above the level that the filter can handle, which is up to 150 ppb.

In fact, the city has seen lead levels in homes that range from 153 ppb to more than 4,000 ppb, the Detroit Free Press reports.

This problem is serious. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have warned that there are no safe levels of lead exposure. The Environmental Protection Agency says that anything over 15 ppb should prompt actions to minimize exposure.

Link

What a joke.

Obama, where are you? Any of Flint's residents "could have been you."

edit on 20-4-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Isn't the bigger issue being lead used in the pipes? If the corrosive water was allowing the lead into the water distribution system, there is still lead in the pipes! People probably have lead in their house plumbing too! The bandaid fix of changing back to the original water supply will not change the fact that there is lead in the pipes. Sadly, people won't care about that because things will change back to the status quo.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think Snyder drinking the water is juvenile for him and whoever idea it was. Drinking the water is not the same as having to live with it. Does it occur to Snyder that people have to shower, clean infants, dishes, medical supplies....things I guess he doesn't have to deal with. And the fear must always be there, even in sleep.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Thanks for your response! No worries at all, I'm guilty of it as well. I'm not sure if you saw but I listed you as one of the members on the "favorite people on ATS" thread from today - keep up the good work.

Personally, I think Snyder should've resigned long ago, I think he's a huge scumbag and isn't fit at all for public service. ACCOUNTABILITY, he wants all the glamour and the reputation but won't hold himself accountable or take responsibility? Scum.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sentence the low lifes to drink the water themselves for the next couple of years ....

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
From Flint and most if not all the lead waterlines are owned by the home owner. That's why a lot of the big lawyers are backing out and why owners are walking away from their rentals so the city will repo them on back taxes. Hopefully most of the homes will be burnt down so the city doesn't have much to clean up.

The place will be a zombie zone by fall.

top topics

join