It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for the Empaths

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

From what i've learned empaths process the negative energy and emotion so it isn't just free floating around. I don't know if it is turned positive or just neutralized. The vampires get energized by the process, but depending on the person it could be positive or negative they are feeding on.

In my experience with either one they don't amplify happiness or joy directly, but the people around them are not burdened by the negative anymore and have more room to be happy or joyful, but it is up to them to do that.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

None of the above. I've learned to shut it all off, or risk overload. You open a crack, a thin line when you choose to.

It took a lot of self-debate to reply to this thread.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus
It is a point of 'admitting' or acknowledgment is all.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Sure. I'm not fearful of saying so. Just have never had the occasion. Also never thought of it as a great benefit.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

Sure. I'm not fearful of saying so. Just have never had the occasion. Also never thought of it as a great benefit.

It is not of great benefit at all; is a yoke or hindrance unless realize that of an automatic 'seeing' of events before one and with no idea why; is compelled to process those 'thought' events involving other people between themselves you have mastery over; or put to useful positive purpose to help the world. What happened to the masters, what are they called now? Thanks for sharing argentus (I know what you live).
edit on 23-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Well said. Occasionally, I think I can be helpful to others. I'm willing. More than willing. The rest of the time, it's a pain inne ass.

I don't know what the masters are called now, or if there is a lesser master-density in this age as compared to previous ones. I'm just glad to not be one. Talk about pressure.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

And I appreciate you and all the others doing so. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
Well said. Occasionally, I think I can be helpful to others. I'm willing. More than willing. The rest of the time, it's a pain inne ass. I don't know what the masters are called now, or if there is a lesser master-density in this age as compared to previous ones. I'm just glad to not be one. Talk about pressure.

I try to be helpful. I as well am open and willing to help [yes a pain]. It may be generational (odd frequencies collide instead of intersecting; Aquarius vs Pisces) is a huge paradigm gap to fill or overlay good ideas strapping; thought forms to make both whole. Connect the bad (2000) years of a negative oligarchy (ruling this world) with a potential good/betterment.
edit on 23-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
Do you feed off of them. Their passion, their anguish, their suffering, and their joy? I don't post on this side of the boards, but I have questions that need answering. Do you taste their ecstasy? Do you eat their pain? Are you an emotional vampire?

Do you know what emotions are yours and which are theirs?

I cannot speak for anyone else but myself, but I am certain most other empaths whom I personally know would agree with what I have to say about this, as we've discussed it many times.

I am a powerful empath. It is both a blessing and a curse. I can read anyone if I choose, even long distance through photos of people I have never met. The only exception to that are people who know how to hide their minds...usually other empaths, but some others too. I can communicate with animals. I can feel the energy of plants and trees, can tell if they're unhealthy.

I was also gifted...or cursed...with an eidetic memory. The earliest memories I have are from before I was two years old, and even then, I knew I was different. My family knew it too. My mother spent years and lots of money trying to get someone to "fix" me. I grew up believing that I was this broken, defective thing who was nothing more than a constant disappointment.

But I wasn't autistic or crazy. I didn't have brain defects. I was not learning-disabled or "blocked". I was just a kid who was trying to cope with not only a near constant barrage of emotions and thoughts and flashes of different scenery, but the complete inability to forget what I saw, heard and felt. As an adult, however, I am glad that I was forced to struggle because it made me strong.

So yes, if I wanted to, I could experience other people's happiness or sadness. Their fears and secret feelings and true intent, wherever and whenever I please. But to do so would be in direct opposition to my ethics and values. Having said that, if it is necessary; to stop someone from harming others or themselves or help someone who is hurt, etc., I will and have, many times.

I strongly feel that empaths who choose to exploit their gift to violate others are aptly named "emotional vampires"...although that applies to "normal" people as well; they just have a different way of going about it. They have to learn the person first; I do not. That is the only difference. There is something fundamentally flawed in people like that. They do not love themselves, so they seek solace in draining the energy of other people. They become parasites.

Having said that, however, most people walk around broadcasting their emotions like a flashing marquee. And they're largely oblivious to this fact. I don't walk around shielded all the time. To do that, I'd have to withdraw into myself completely which is, in my personal opinion, a behavior that is often mistaken for a symptom of autism (I believe autistic people are empaths, powerful beyond our comprehension).

But neither do I walk around just scanning people with impunity. Not only would that be unethical, it would be highly unpleasant too. There is an awful lot of anger and fear and rage, jealousy, sadness and despair out there that I have zero desire to experience. There is a lot of evil, too.

It would also likely drive me mad. To answer another question, yes, I can tell the difference between mine and others' emotions...if I'm not in a crowded place. It is like background noise if there are a minimal amount of people, and if I choose to I can zero in on one person. But in a crowd it's a cacophony.

You will never find me in a club or crowded restaurant. I haven't been to a mall in about ten years. I grocery shop at two in the morning. I have never been to a concert. I do not watch TV. I don't go to theaters. I avoid other people as much as possible.

But the flip side is that I have the ability to help a lot of people and animals. And, I feel, the responsibility as well. I believe that if people are given gifts like this, they're meant for a reason. I know that some people abuse them, but I think I can safely say that the majority of empaths would not even consider doing that.

I haven't read the whole thread yet so forgive me if this has been asked and answered: what compelled you to ask these questions?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
My mother spent years and lots of money trying to get someone to "fix" me.

I'm so happy I had an open minded mom, but - other then being ridiculously shy and emotional - I never shared my experiences with anyone. I had OBE's since first memory. Used to go "flying" almost every night, especially to the Gray Place. I liked that place. But, never said anything to anyone.

It took a lifetime, but I feel secure and grounded now. Malls I can do. I have trouble with grocery stores.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I strongly feel that empaths who choose to exploit their gift to violate others are aptly named "emotional vampires"...although that applies to "normal" people as well; they just have a different way of going about it. They have to learn the person first; I do not. That is the only difference. There is something fundamentally flawed in people like that. They do not love themselves, so they seek solace in draining the energy of other people. They become parasites.

Why do you feel this way? Were you hurt by one? Not every "emotional vampire" out there is a parasite walking around virtually sucking the life and happiness out of the world like a dementor from Harry Potter. Also, there is nothing flawed about learning and utilizing the gifts you are given. I mean its up to each person, you can decide to do nothing and feel the anger and depression of others because they cannot keep their emotions to themselves. Or you can shield yourself all the time and become closed to the world and yourself emotionally and slowly slip into apathy like a sociopath. People like me choose to learn to live with and use our ability. BUT, there are good and bad empaths just like normal people. I wish there were another term so we weren't all lumped together. To separate those who feed off good and bad emotions.

Standard empaths have gotten the short end of the stick in this deal though. I don't know what would I would be like if I could only absorb negative energy and release it back to the world neutralized, and didn't have a choice about it. Unlike you I love cities and go to one whenever I get a chance, its refreshing. I also love hiking in the woods with my wife, but that is because for her that's refreshing and I feel exhausted after. I am sorry if I came across harsh in my first paragraph.

I imagine it is easier to feed off happy emotions since people project them so willingly into the world and keep their despair to themselves. I cannot feed off happiness though, but I imagine if someone were untrained or didn't know their abilities they would drain whatever was the most obvious.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: voudew

Your quote was not from something I wrote.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=20640431]tigertatzen

what compelled you to ask these questions?

To hear experiences like yours.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

You have no idea how much those words touched my heart.."a broken defective thing that was nothing more than a constant disappointment"..

My childhood in a nutshell. I wish you hug you,back then,and now.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

a reply to: MOMof3

From what I've seen your duty as a empath is not to give it away, but to take it away. To feel it, absorb it, and relieve them as much as you can.

ETA: I shouldn't say duty, perhaps calling is the right word.

Neither of them are the right word. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that we are obligated in some way. That we were put here to be dumpsters for humanity's emotional garbage. You've even suggested that we siphon off people's happiness too, as a consolation prize for accepting their burden as our own so that they can be happy while we suffer instead...as in your quote above.

And astonishingly, you further suggested, despite numerous people telling you how uncomfortable and debilitating such an onslaught is, that we would somehow benefit from being used in such a manner. Well. Allow me to retort.

We are not gifts for humanity to use to take away all their woes whenever they please. We are people. We have lives and careers and family and our own troubles. We are productive members of society. And we have every right to choose what we do with our gifts.

You've been insinuating that we're some kind of parasites who prey upon others and feed on their human emotions like vampires from your opening post. Don't even bother denying it, either, because we know better. That's what you get for inviting a bunch of empaths to the party.

Now you've switched gears and changed that to the assertion that we were put here to solve people's problems for them. Both are equally offensive and preposterous, and could not be further from the truth.

We help people if we're compelled to. They will find their way to one of us. And we will usually be unable to resist. But true suffering is not nearly as common as that which people bring upon themselves.

Those people will get no help from me. Not out of malice or spite, but because that kind of misery is meant to serve as a lesson. If people do not suffer the consequences of their mistakes they will continue to make them, and that is a stone cold fact. I had to learn the same way, and I'm better for it.

And you are wrong in your assumption about how this ability works. How the Universe works. Positive energy is infinite. You cannot "steal" or "take" someone's happiness. It cannot be depleted by sharing it. If we were to do what you suggest is our "purpose", it would only be to our detriment.

Taking negative energy from another person requires us to accept it as our own. The person is freed from it. That leaves them with nothing but positive energy, which is abundant. Taking that as some kind of compensation for the huge emotional burden we're then saddled with, as well as the enormous drain on our energy would be completely inadequate.

We take on more than we're able to bear and suffer terrible physical and emotional effects as a result and meanwhile, the person we took it from is happily getting on with his or her life. That is not a "calling". That is a nightmare.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

a reply to: MOMof3

From what I've seen your duty as a empath is not to give it away, but to take it away. To feel it, absorb it, and relieve them as much as you can.

ETA: I shouldn't say duty, perhaps calling is the right word.

ETA: This is a reply to the OP. I screwed up the quotes somehow and don't know how to fix it. My apologies.

Neither of them are the right word. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that we are obligated in some way. That we were put here to be dumpsters for humanity's emotional garbage. You've even suggested that we siphon off people's happiness too, as a consolation prize for accepting their burden as our own so that they can be happy while we suffer instead...as in your quote above.

And astonishingly, you further suggested, despite numerous people telling you how uncomfortable and debilitating such an onslaught is, that we would somehow benefit from being used in such a manner. Well. Allow me to retort.

We are not gifts for humanity to use to take away all their woes whenever they please. We are people. We have lives and careers and family and our own troubles. We are productive members of society. And we have every right to choose what we do with our gifts.

You've been insinuating that we're some kind of parasites who prey upon others and feed on their human emotions like vampires from your opening post. Don't even bother denying it, either, because we know better. That's what you get for inviting a bunch of empaths to the party.

Now you've switched gears and changed that to the assertion that we were put here to solve people's problems for them. Both are equally offensive and preposterous, and could not be further from the truth.

We help people if we're compelled to. They will find their way to one of us. And we will usually be unable to resist. But true suffering is not nearly as common as that which people bring upon themselves.

Those people will get no help from me. Not out of malice or spite, but because that kind of misery is meant to serve as a lesson. If people do not suffer the consequences of their mistakes they will continue to make them, and that is a stone cold fact. I had to learn the same way, and I'm better for it.

And you are wrong in your assumption about how this ability works. How the Universe works. Positive energy is infinite. You cannot "steal" or "take" someone's happiness. It cannot be depleted by sharing it. If we were to do what you suggest is our "duty", it would only be to our detriment.

Taking negative energy from another person requires us to accept it as our own. The person is freed from it. That leaves them with nothing but positive energy, which is abundant. Taking that as some kind of compensation for the huge emotional burden we're then saddled with, as well as the enormous drain on our energy would be completely inadequate.

We take on more than we're able to bear and suffer terrible physical and emotional effects as a result and meanwhile, the person we took it from is happily getting on with his or her life. That is not a "calling". That is a nightmare.

edit on 30218America/ChicagoSun, 24 Apr 2016 20:21:36 -050030pm30114America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: tigertatzen

You have no idea how much those words touched my heart.."a broken defective thing that was nothing more than a constant disappointment"..

My childhood in a nutshell. I wish you hug you,back then,and now.

Sending you, and your childhood self a giant hug right back. You are not alone. 😉

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: voudew

Why do you feel this way? Were you hurt by one? Not every "emotional vampire" out there is a parasite walking around virtually sucking the life and happiness out of the world like a dementor from Harry Potter. Also, there is nothing flawed about learning and utilizing the gifts you are given. I mean its up to each person, you can decide to do nothing and feel the anger and depression of others because they cannot keep their emotions to themselves. Or you can shield yourself all the time and become closed to the world and yourself emotionally and slowly slip into apathy like a sociopath. People like me choose to learn to live with and use our ability. BUT, there are good and bad empaths just like normal people. I wish there were another term so we weren't all lumped together. To separate those who feed off good and bad emotions.

Standard empaths have gotten the short end of the stick in this deal though. I don't know what would I would be like if I could only absorb negative energy and release it back to the world neutralized, and didn't have a choice about it. Unlike you I love cities and go to one whenever I get a chance, its refreshing. I also love hiking in the woods with my wife, but that is because for her that's refreshing and I feel exhausted after. I am sorry if I came across harsh in my first paragraph.

I imagine it is easier to feed off happy emotions since people project them so willingly into the world and keep their despair to themselves. I cannot feed off happiness though, but I imagine if someone were untrained or didn't know their abilities they would drain whatever was the most obvious.

That was actually my post. And you're right, not every emotional vampire is trying to drain the life out of the world. They typically latch on to one person. Some of them don't realize they're doing it, but most of them most certainly do.

They "feed" off of emotions. I do not. Nor would I dream of doing such a thing. It is wrong to do such things without permission and I feel very strongly about that.

Who wants to be lumped in with people who use others for their own personal gain? Not me. I find them to be abhorrent. And I know a whole lot of them.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just found this thread. Thank you to the original poster and everyone who have shared before me. Here's my imput. I discovered that I was an emotional empath about 5-6 years ago. (I'm in my late 40s now) I have all my life been a relatively creative, but underperforming eccentric and loner who spends most of her life in a dream world. About 15 years ago, my sister did a lot of reading up and decided that I am probably aspergers. At the time, there were few experts on the topic in our country and I was never tested. Then several years ago, following an awakening experience that gifted me with a unique spirit guide (sorry, no further details - that's another topic altogether) who suggested that I look into the possibility that I was an emotional empath. As with so many other things, he (my 'spirit guide') was spot on.

My greatest a-ha moment came when i realized that my most important motivation in ANY decision I've ever take has always revolved around to escape or minimize the effect of other people's emotions on me. Being alone is the rarest, most precious gift I can think of. I hoard and cherish each moment of being alone. Of being grounded with nothing but my own thoughts, feelings and emotions within my consciousness.

I wouldn't say I feed off it.... rather that I am intoxicated (and sometimes incapacitated) by the emotions of others. I am uncomfortable with the the bland/mild dishonesty of my interactions with people in general. At times I wish for the type of ruthlessness that honesty would require in certain situations. Drawing boundaries between my emotions and those of others was an important step forward. As was finding a personal space to be emotionally honest with myself, amid the 'fences' erected to spare others; to be able to say, YES, I FEEL THIS. As is owning those emotions that are yours. If you can sense the emotions of others, but they cannot sense yours, it is very easy to slip into the assumption that your own emotions are less important than those of others; that you are less important than they are, because you feel their emotions and they don't feel yours. If it is a choice between hurting someone else and being hurt myself, it's an easy choice. I can deal with my own pain. I can heal my own pain. I can take responsibility for my own pain. It's ten times harder to feel another's pain blended with your own guilt.

You can sometimes send your energy/emotions to diffuse a situation, or to communicate mind-to-mind without the filter of words. That's the one true advantage of being an emotional empath. You can reach out, if you feel it is needed.

I've also discovered that it is difficult for me to connect with 'bare facts' that don't register on the emotional spectrum. On the other hand, taking in information that carries too much of an emotional charge can overwhelm me. As a freelance writer who needs to do a lot of research I have found myself disadvantaged by both of the above.

I have a tendency to avoid people and things I love, because they can totally intoxicate me. It's like I 'freeze' on them. If I'm listening to music I totally connect with or books that affect me deeply, I have to absorb it slowly, hit the pause button when it overwhelms me. If I meet someone new that I strongly connect with, I usually need some timeout from them afterwards, a few days or so. Sometimes things I love can really be too much. In that same vein, it can sometimes be a lot harder to be understood than to be misunderstood. I forgive people on a daily basis for misunderstanding. Being understood can leave you feeling exposed. Well, that's how it hits me. People are different and wonderfully so.

One analogy I've come up with: think of it as something like diabetes - too little is problematic, but so is too much.

I have experienced pain, discomfort and illness when others were ill. In fact, when I feel sick or something, my first question is usually: "Who else has got this?" I first discovered this when I was 19 (decades before i knew I was an empath) when a guy I was involved with was paralyzed in a car accident. One of the most dramatic events I can remember was when my sister's former father in law had a heart attack. He was alone and wasn't found until 6 hours later, but I felt the chest pains at the time it happened. I was in a public place and had no idea what it meant at the time. And this is not limited with humans. Once I was walking to the train station when I felt something hit my cheek. A little way on I came across a security guard with a dog. The man was bored and was methodically hitting his guarding through the face with its leash and I had felt that.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: meridie

That was a great post.

If you can sense the emotions of others, but they cannot sense yours, it is very easy to slip into the assumption that your own emotions are less important than those of others; that you are less important than they are, because you feel their emotions and they don't feel yours.

This was odd to read, though. For me, I just feel a bit sad and lonely when I sense this, but I let go of it immediately to "be there" for the other person.

I like your analogy to diabetes, except for the association with a disease. I'm going to work on that and see if I can think of something that is similar but a bit more comfortable.

And I know what you mean about love and beauty. Sometimes I will see or hear something that has me suddenly weeping. I've had to pull the car over twice after hearing the rendition of Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major, opus 61, by Henrik Szeryng. And I have a painting that had me weeping the first three times I saw it. Sigh...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join