It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rich and the Rest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Edumakated
There will always be winners and losers. ALWAYS.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure it's possible to make a world of only winners.

Has there ever been a time when there weren't any losers?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Your not making a valid point.

Like I've said before many of us are looking to discuss ways to make the world a better place.

Unless your interested in that I just don't get what your trying to prove?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The title of the thread is "The Rich and The Rest".

I think it's bunk.

2.9 billion (with a B) in unclaimed scholarships and grants. There is ample opportunity, apparently.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Care to break down any key points in the article or just one liners?

In pretty sure there's way more tonth conversation than the thread title but I'm also 100% no one who's in this thread right now even read it.

Just saying.
edit on 4/19/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

How could I discuss a topic that has a false premise?

There is always opportunity.

YOU seemed to be obsessed with equal outcomes.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I don't think there exist a worthless degree I think we need cultural evolution as much as anything.

No one wants to live in a stale artless society which is what your advocating.

What else do people do without an education or a trade job? You do realize trade jobs are already stressed with applicants in most states right?

Why does a person need a college degree to be artistic?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Like I said your not discussing anything in the article you don't know what any of the premises are because all you did was glance around and make assumptions your not interested in anything but the same lines your repeat consistently.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

They don't it's about investment and promotion of the arts.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Have I said anything that was untrue?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

You haven't really said anything. One liners devoid of content because you haven't read anything.

We're on a website that's about the discussion of ideas and your here to shut down the conversation because well life isn't fair so why even discuss anything.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

You missed the point.

Everyone has the opportunity, but apparently, it's easier to complain about inequality than to work at changing it.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Why don't you give a break down of the key points in he article?

Why don't you individually tell us how what is wrong and why instead of making sweeping generalizations while ignoring everything else?
edit on 4/19/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

You haven't really said anything. One liners devoid of content because you haven't read anything.

We're on a website that's about the discussion of ideas and your here to shut down the conversation because well life isn't fair so why even discuss anything.

Your entire OP was about how it isn't fair that some people are wealthy. I am simply pointing out that there will always be situations in which someone has an advantage. This will never change. It is just a part of life and you either learn how to compete and deal with whatever deficiencies you have so you can be successful or you sit around crying on the internet.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

a reply to: eluryh22

So your solutions to discussing how to create a better world is, "work harder"

Great guess what we all get it but I'm here to discuss options on creating a better world.
I think that is where our world views split.

Like you (I think), I wish for a better world, a perfect world, a Utopia.

However, you seem to continue to champion this perfect world without providing a pathway to get there. You aren't giving anyone any advice on how to improve their lot in life.

I think I'm being a bit more realistic by suggesting that while we may not like "the system," it's best to understand it and make the most of it.

You (I think) and I both know that the only people that will further our lots in life are ourselves.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I already told you I'm here to discuss ways to make a better world out of this mess.

Sorry that you can't comprehend that and that your only response is "work harder"

I know it's hard for you to wrap your mind around the fact that some of us want to talk about things on a deeper level than that but hey guess what we do...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I'm trying to figure out and problem solve pathways buts that's impossible without open conversations and multiple perspectives.

So why do you guys keep trying to shut down he conversation?

What do you have to prove by not engaging in the conversation and instead shutting it down?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I'm trying to figure out and problem solve pathways buts that's impossible without open conversations and multiple perspectives.

So why do you guys keep trying to shut down he conversation?

What do you have to prove by not engaging in the conversation and instead shutting it down?

So what is a solution that you think will solve the problem(s) you address in your OP. Be specific and to the point.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Why don't you give a break down of the key points in he article?

Why don't you individually tell us how what is wrong and why instead of making sweeping generalizations while ignoring everything else?

Sweeping generalizations?

I simply showed that there was ample opportunity.

But that doesn't fit into your narrative.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Has there ever been a time when there weren't any losers?

Has there ever been a time where humanity has as many people with as much knowledge as they do now? What was once impossible will one day be possible. In the 1800's no one could do more than stare at the stars, now we have people living in space.

Or to give another example, the Problem of Longitude was first formalized in the 1550's. It took 200 years for a partial solution and a true answer wasn't actually developed until the 1990's. What was impossible in the past isn't indicative of what's impossible in the future.

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Why does a person need a college degree to be artistic?

Why does a person need any degree? It's true that in art your portfolio matters more than your degree, but it's also true that a good art school will properly critique you and teach you how to do things properly in a manner that simply being self taught cannot.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
So what is a solution that you think will solve the problem(s) you address in your OP. Be specific and to the point.

Change the economic system, so that value is driven by consumption. The act of consuming provides a need for labor, if someone didn't want to consume, it causes less need for jobs in society. Therefore, merely wanting to consume has some level of economic value that is worth enabling.

A dual currency system is one way to achieve this, a basic income is another way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join