It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOOM : The Biggest Gaming Disappointment This Year ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I've been waiting for this game for years , the only game higher on my game wants list is ,of course, Half Life 3.
I couldn't play the open Multiplayer Beta because my GTX 750 ti isn't supported (hopefully it will be) but from the reaction I've seen online all is not well , the Id Tech texture streaming issues as seen in Rage are back plus dumbing down of the Arena shooter gameplay are front amongst the disquiet.

The thing that concerns me most is that all of the videos released by Bethesda so far have been Multiplayer , just over 3 weeks to go and not one single player video.
If Bethesda are pushing the Multiplayer because they think it's the strongest part of the game then judging be some of the reaction this could be bad news for DOOM and the players who are waiting to buy it.

I really want the game to be great but I'm starting to think mediocraty awaits.
The thoughts of Idiotech.

Fingers crossed.
***please let it be great , please let it be great , plea......***

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I played the beta,the multiplayer out right #s on fans of the series.
IDK why i.d software decided to include multiplayer for DOOM this time around but it's terrible.

Cons:
They included wall hacks as an actual ability that you can pick up in game.
The armor assets for the player controlled characters look like they were stripped straight out of the Halo universe.
Which wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't for lack of armor customization.
You have a limited two weapon load-out with very little weapon variety and the most over-powered weapon in the MP is the shotgun. Every other weapon is underwhelming in damage output.
I think there were a total of 3 maps and 3 game modes, that might change on release but I won't be surprised if it's just as sparse.

Pros;
Good graphics and highly detailed textures.
Maps are very fun to play on,with some asymmetrical game-play making it a decent experience.
Demons look bad ass.

Other than that there is not much to love about the MP.
I just pray that the single-player that makes DOOM,DOOM is not ruined by the poor design choices they made in MP.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
No support for the 750ti, waaa???? This is the card that I have also. One of the most popular, if not the most medium class card. That alone will lock out a lot of players.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I grabbed the demo off steam.

I am rather disappointed, and underwhelmed because it just plays like a bad version of COD.

Rockets don't do squat, the pulse rifle is like throwing water-balloons at bad-guys.

Demon possession mode is interesting, but again, not that great. Can turn the tide of a team-based deathmatch, but still not worth the $ for a crappy mp-only game.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You have the dichotomy of gamers here. Those that will always pick the best weapons and go for the numbers and those willing to self impose the challenge of using lesser weapons to feed the excitement of killing the former.

Games are severely suffering from the "maximum profit through maximum accessibility" business model.

Single player be DOOMED!!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

EVERY game these days must have multi-player and/or some kind of social plug-in or both. They assume every gamer wants to share and/or play with his or her buddies and this is more important than anything else about a game.
edit on 19-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

cj6

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
No # it doesn't apply to PC players because PC players make up a very small percentage of gamers, whether they wanna admit that or not. Console gamers are where the money is at for major developers so of course the game is going to be tailored to that specific audience. Yes the game is unbalanced but I think they missed the point of a beta. People try the game, then give feedback, then the developers take said feedback and make changes accordingly before launch. Overall the game sucks no matter what your preference is. It's not DOOM, it's a halo ripoff as far as the multiplayer is concerned. Hopefully the single-player campaign can redeem this piece of repetitive, FPS garbage.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

EVERY game these days must have multi-player and/or some kind of social plug-in or both. They assume every gamer wants to share and/or play with his or her buddies and this is more important than anything else about a game.

It is possible to make a good game, and have it be multiplayer.

However, many opt for the crap game with multiplayer model.

Such a prolific title, as DOOM is, should NOT be gimped with such a crappy showing.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Very true.
But it's not just that. Many developers these days have been pushing for multiplayer in game series that previously were solely single player for the purpose of instituting some sort of micro-transaction economy.
A great example of this was AC Unity or the newest addition to the series...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I know EA had a policy that all its developers had to inject those elements whether they wanted them or not. So it isn't always the devs who want them. Sometimes, it's a corporate policy. I remember when they shoehorned facebook into The Sims.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
No # it doesn't apply to PC players because PC players make up a very small percentage of gamers, whether they wanna admit that or not. Console gamers are where the money is at for major developers so of course the game is going to be tailored to that specific audience. Yes the game is unbalanced but I think they missed the point of a beta. People try the game, then give feedback, then the developers take said feedback and make changes accordingly before launch. Overall the game sucks no matter what your preference is. It's not DOOM, it's a halo ripoff as far as the multiplayer is concerned. Hopefully the single-player campaign can redeem this piece of repetitive, FPS garbage.

Actually, PC gamers are still the most popular platform.

Most recent article

To an article a little older Shows that.

So, pc gamers are not "a very small percentage of gamers"..

I'd like to the data, but it requires a subscription to actually do so, mentioned in the first linked article above.

edit on C16543800 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Think the actual retail version will support the 750ti.

As to the beta, its apparently not a Doom like experience at all.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I know EA had a policy that all its developers had to inject those elements whether they wanted them or not. So it isn't always the devs who want them. Sometimes, it's a corporate policy. I remember when they shoehorned facebook into The Sims.

Yeah that's reason I no longer purchase products with the EA stamp of approval.
They're also not the only publisher with such a policy and it's sad to see that many gamers still purchase their products and yet complain when things don't quite meet expectations. It's an endless cycle.
Thankfully this beta was free,so no real loss at all for anyone who thought it sucked.
Feel bad for those who pre-ordered this game though.

cj6

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Did you actually read the article? It says and I quote "The bottom line for 2015: PC gaming is "an undervalued platform... contrary to the amount of attention that is generally paid to mobile gaming, total revenues from the PC gaming market is larger ($32 billion) than that of mobile ($25 billion)."

They compared PC gaming to mobile gaming NOT console gaming. Mainly because console gaming is, has been, and always will be the biggest platform for gaming. Not to mention it only takes into account the yearly revenue NOT the amount of active gamers.

Nice try though. Go play DOOM.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Or Star Wars Battlefront. No single player campaign? Come on!!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Yeah that was absolute BS!

cj6

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Or Star Wars Battlefront. No single player campaign? Come on!!

Yup and not to mention paying $60 for a brand new copy AND another $50 for a season pass

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
No # it doesn't apply to PC players because PC players make up a very small percentage of gamers,

PC gaming sells more than any single console, and now sells more than all consoles combined.
...what are you on about?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6, NateTheAnimator

The second I heard there was no campaign, i knew there was no reason for me to buy it. The only way I will, is if they add a campaign.

cj6

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Nice to see you can make up your own charts

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join