It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do the christians of ats agree with this man?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
wasnt to sure where to post this, at first i was going to post it in general chat under hilarious video, but i wanted to get some christian ( what i believe the man in the video to me ) thoughts on this video.

does this disprove evolution in your eyes?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

All I'm going to say is that earth isn't in a jar. But I do like me a peanut butter sandwich.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
What a load of nonsense.. The earth is not a sealed jar, it was exposed to various elements that came from space for millions of years..
If you took the lid of that jar and left it out in the air, it would grow new life.. mould, bacteria etc

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
wasnt to sure where to post this, at first i was going to post it in general chat under hilarious video, but i wanted to get some christian ( what i believe the man in the video to me ) thoughts on this video.

does this disprove evolution in your eyes?

This doesn't say anything about evolution at all.

What it does show is the incredibly low probability of abiogenesis occurring in a sealed jar of Peanut Butter.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
What a load of nonsense.. The earth is not a sealed jar, it was exposed to various elements that came from space for millions of years..
If you took the lid of that jar and left it out in the air, it would grow new life.. mould, bacteria etc

Your argument is not valid as a refutation to the thesis that abiogenesis does not occur in the many situations optimal for its occurrence, according to theorists.

A sealed jar of peanut butter has all the ingredients for life. Air, water, amino acids and is especially high in lipids from which, in an emulsion with water, may form a hydrophobic barrier that emulates a cell wall. As the water content is reduced, the 'wall' becomes stronger and the contained amino acids concentrate and may interact in ways similar to metabolism.

Although we believe we know the processes required chemically in the abiogenesis of life, it has never once been observed - in the lab or otherwise.

edit on 19/4/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

at the 0:52 sec mark, God is an ant that created life from crushed peanuts.

He has got a point though...the old amino acids, lightning, "primordial soup" theory has never been reproduced in a Lab

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

you cant expect something that happened over billions of years to happen in a few months or years in a lab can you?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

But your 'life = matter + energy ' formula is bunk

Critics of the argument have pointed out that sealed jars of peanut butter are not, generally speaking, multimillion-year-old volcanic environments rich in ammonia and methane, being bombarded by high energy cosmic rays. They also point out that the argument ignores the fact that the probability of life forming on Earth through abiogenesis was, most likely, incredibly low, and early earth conditions were conducive to the formation of life. Even assuming that a peanut butter jar was a valid example of an environment conducive to spontaneous abiogenesis, the "billions of experiments performed every year" pale in comparison to the trillions performed each day over millions of years of the Earth's history. In addition, no reasonable scientist is expecting a fully evolved peanut butter monster to jump out of the jar.[2] Any life that would be created, however unlikely, would be microscopic in size and very basic life forms indeed, simpler than bacteria (probably no more than a few strings of organized chemicals replicating themselves), and would probably die almost instantly due to the presence of preservatives in the peanut butter (that is, of course, what those chemicals are there for!), or they would die due to a lack of oxygen in the peanut butter, or due to exposure to oxygen when the peanut butter jar was opened, or due to the competition from the millions of well-evolved bacteria already living in it despite the preservatives. It would certainly not be the case that fully formed ants will walk out of the opened jar as is hinted at by Missler's video sequence. In fact, even taken on its own terms this argument fails, since microscopic life forms would be invisible to the casual observer and if life did arise in one of these "billions of experiments performed every year", it would pass without notice. So the number of "experiments" performed with peanut butter jars is really a nonissue.

rationalwiki.org...

edit on 19-4-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

lol im glad i clicked to read that or i wouldnt have found this little gem.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

at the 0:52 sec mark, God is an ant that created life from crushed peanuts.

He has got a point though...the old amino acids, lightning, "primordial soup" theory has never been reproduced in a Lab

And further, if we did actually manage to reproduce it in a lab ... what would it prove? That life occurred from lifelessness naturally or that there was some kind of intelligent design to it? Considering that we didn't observe it happening on its own with no help from us, but under laboratory, controlled conditions set up by an intelligence ...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

The earth is not a sealed jar, it was exposed to various elements that came from space for millions of years..

Earths biosphere is 'sealed'. Unless something reenters the atmosphere. Man made space ships do that all the time.

'Other' spaceships…?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

The pasta sauce did not turn into;

A Goat
Brtiney Spears
A jar of green pasta sauce
Margaret Thatcher

How disappointing

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but this is just Creationists trying to use some far out theory to justify their beliefs. That life on planets is extremely rare, [ as far as we know ] does not prove it is created by magic.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Even as a Christian, I'd never have agreed with this. It's an example from willful ignorance. If he took one moment to think about the example he's using, he would know he looks and sounds exactly like what he is. A religious nut, and an embarrassment to Christians.

edit on 4/19/2016 by Klassified because: better word

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I'm sorry, but this is just Creationists trying to use some far out theory to justify their beliefs. That life on planets is extremely rare, [ as far as we know ] does not prove it is created by magic.

All this thread proves is that jars of food do not turn into new life or magically transform into Britney Spears by forces unknown

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
He did it wrong, you are supposed to leave a jar of peanut butter AND a jar of jelly alone in a dark room overnight.

In the morning you would find that they have created several yummy sandwiches, evolution!!!!

Great video though, loved the spooky music.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This is just as bad as that "God made bananas for us" video. It's weird how this happens. It's like they think actually learning about science is evil, so they deliberately misunderstand scientific concepts and then guffaw at the ridiculousness of their perceived notion of the scientific principals they're butchering.

Once went to a "group bible study" trip with some friends in a church group. I listened to the two middle aged men in the front discuss how preposterous carbon dating is. It went something like this "Well, first they assume how many carbon atoms the object should have, then they measure how many it actually has and the difference "supposedly" tells them how old something is. So it's really just based on guesswork."

man that was hard to sit through.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

we didn't observe it happen because we were being created as it happened. another thing is that now that we know what to look for we will never be able to find it because if the earth took 4.5 billion or so years to make something smart enough to figure it out and the sun only has 5 billion years left, you do the math, the sun would be scorching whatevers there by that point no intelligent life could live.

if im wrong about this someone show me where
edit on 19-4-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
lol im glad i clicked to read that or i wouldnt have found this little gem.

Or this one... in which a banana disproves evolution. He even has a sexually explicit visual in there... What is this trend of using food to prove or disprove the existence of a deity?

edit on 4/19/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
And I thought the Peanut Butter example was delusional.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join