It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Busy!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12
I might be a bit slow today....No, I don't know...I PM'd you

Peace

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384
I wish you knew a time before cell phones. I wish that this was a gift that we could give. This my dear nephew, is what I would give you.

I can remember trying to catch someone on their way home to get bread. You called the market, the gas station, AND the post office hoping you could catch them somewhere.

It was completely NORMAL to leave your house and only talk to the people you are with until you return home. Then you would check the answering machine to see what you missed.

If I was busy, I took my phone off the hook and they got a busy signal.

I just want to yell to everyone SLOW DOWN!!!! We are so worried about missing something that we don't really enjoy anything.

Aunty Martin

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
I wish I knew such a time. I truly do long for the time of the 70s/80s, far simpler. Especially where I would have lived. Sound like great times and envy all of those who lived through them. Being able to communicate with one another has made us obsessive. Not a good thing at all.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
And again, I say you are wise beyond your age. Yes, far simpler. I would give anything to go back.

And come one. Leg warmers and lace, the 80s rocked. LOL

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I miss it for the culture and the music and the simplicity of it all despite never having lived through it.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's, it was certainly interesting how life was before everyone had a cell phone.

Just the very concept of not being able to get in touch with someone because they weren't home for most the day, it would be unbelievable to kids today.

I truly do believe that the over-dependence of social networking and instant communication is going to wreck havoc on the children of today(it already is). Can't imagine, in the future, when someone 40 years old won't remember a time of land lines and the simplicity of finding your own way through the day without having a mobile device to guide you.
edit on 19-4-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-4-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock
I envy you. I truly do. To live in those years must have been amazing. We need to get off this addiction on technology and constant electronic communication. I believe in a simple life. A family life without all of this. To pursuse greater things; family time, books and knowledge.

In my entire life it was probably always possible to contact others(in the world, not necessarily my family though). It is horrible.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Well, it was my childhood. It was neither amazing or nothing to envy, as at the time it was just the way things where(I see how our younger generation would view theirs the same way).

It's fascinating now, only because of how times have changed(for the worse in my opinion). It was indeed simpler, or maybe freer is the better term. Living your life within a smaller bubble of your surroundings, as opposed to the constant global bubble we have attached to us now, thanks to technology.

edit on 19-4-2016 by MisterSpock because: Forgot to dot my i's

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock
I think both terms are correct in describing those times; both simpler and freer. For me it is definitely something to envy; I love the music of those times and the overall culture, though of course all of my knowledge on the matter is second hand.

It is still possible to live such a life; most choose not to.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I certainly think it's possible, but obviously few do it.

I go the whole day(often) without ever taking my phone out of my pocket. Sometimes when I do I see I had received several attempts to communicate(texts, calls). But, I was busy, caught up in my immediate surroundings and the people present in them. I don't look to my phone every 30 seconds, because frankly, I grew up different and I guess the mentality just never left me. Plenty of people my age, and older, have adopted well to the constant need for technological stimulation.

It would be cool, if more people could slow down and take things at a less frantic pace and realize that what many perceive to be "being in touch" is in fact making them totally out of touch and isolated(isolation, such an irony considering all the "communication" they are taking part of).

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You're "busy" completely wasting time on this thread. Unplug the damn phone. Turn it off. Whatever.

First World Problem.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
You're wasting your time commenting. Get off this thread. Durr

Also not a waste of my time clearly you did not read the OP well(what a surprise..) and I needed to vent simply.
edit on 19-4-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Oh how I envy your love of quiet! I can't tolerate it! The minute I get up, on my way to the bathroom or returning home...c l I c k...TV ON! Otherwise I find my brain turning into one of those reflective mirror balls, turning, casting about thoughts like the lights from the ball! But sticking nowhere, inducing nothing but near nuttiness and holding me captive to everything! Aaaa aarrgh! Instant insanity. Of course I have ADD too. But having noise, "background noise" as I call it, forces me to focus, and I unfortunately do appreciate it. Unfortunately!!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3
Background noise isn't horrible if it isn't too loud I suppose, but then I only think that when I don't need to focus on something. If I need to focus on something then I need complete silence which is why(partially) I tend to stay up all nights and sleep the days away.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
We still have the option of turning off our phones.
I will do that for days because I refuse to be a slave of the instant reward society.
I even have a sign I will put on my door "Unless the house is burning, stay away".

I whole heartedly agree with Schuyler, it is a first world problem.
I remember letters that took weeks to arrive, perhaps months at sea, but if I wanted to close my door it was my privilege.
It is a matter of discernment.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence
And that is what I said I'd do in the OP. Just needed to vent. Though some people fail to read the OP so say pointless things like above. Oh well such urchins will always exist.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join