It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interrogating Donald Rumsfeld

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Donald Rumsfeld is in charge of the military. Yet, he has never once actually taken responsibility for any of the wrongs committed on his watch. Real men make accountability a top priority. Cowards take his course. It's time for him to answer for his complete abdication of responsibility.

For anyone thinking I'm being partisan, think again. Back after the '93 Somalia disaster, I was one of many Republicans calling for then Sec. Defense Les Aspin's head on a platter for his refusal to grant his field commander the needed equipment he requested for the operation. To his credit, President Clinton acknowledged the call for accountability and obliged the request. Donald Rumsfeld should be treated no different.

Interrogating Donald Rumsfeld
By Karen J. Greenberg and Joshua L. Dratel
TomDispatch.com

Monday 10 January 2005

37 questions Congress should ask the Secretary of Defense on administration torture policies.
The "torture memos," as they have come to be known, reveal much about the current administration. They point to a level of secrecy matching, or even surpassing, any sought or achieved by the executive branch in prior eras, even during wartime. They point to a lack of concern for accountability that veers far from previously acknowledged limits on unchecked executive power. They deliberately disregard, even nullify, the balance-of-powers doctrine that has defined the United States since its inception. Essentially, much of what has been put in place by the Bush administration in the wake of 9/11 has relied on the fear of terror as a means to establish a new doctrine of state; it is a doctrine that, before the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, had lingered in the outer corridors of power. Much of the Patriot Act, for instance, had already been drafted before 9/11; and the proposal for the Department of Homeland Security was also in draft form at that time. So, too, were plans for a war in Iraq.

The torture memos developed inside the White House by a task force of lawyers headed by presidential confidant and White House Legal Counsel Alberto Gonzales are important, and not just as evidence of a policy that disregards human rights and reciprocity in the treatment of soldiers, civilians, and prisoners. The torture memos are also - perhaps primarily - important because they reveal the most basic attitudes with which the administration greets the Congress, the courts, the American public, and the world at large.

One of the chief figures in turning legal questions on torture into policy in the matter of the treatment of prisoners has been Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, who oversaw the approval of harsh interrogation methods in 2002 and who became the personally responsible party for approving or disapproving the use of coercive interrogation and "category three" torture after the Spring of 2003. It seems only apt and fitting, then, that he, as well as Alberto Gonzales, be brought before Congress and asked questions about this policy and his role in it.
www.truthout.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'd like to ask you ....

Who do you want for President of the United States ?

Who do you want to be Vice President ?

Who do you want for Secretary of State ?

Who do you want for Secretary of Defense ?

so on and so forth, etc.....

It's apparent that you don't like the current administration... so.... who's your choices ?

[edit on 13-1-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I would like someone to fill these positions who will fully support and defend the U.S. Constitution against enemies both foreign and domestic. Currently, the enemies are in the gates.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
My choices would be libertarian, across the board. No one will be able to whip America back into shape, as long as there are Republicrats in the gov't.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I tell you what, with all the fingers being pointed at Rumsfeld I wonder how in the heck he is still hanging around.

My husband went to Somalia, I remember we were in 29 palms at the time.

It seems to me that the president choices of men have one thing in common to undermine the Constitution of the US.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If, GW and Rummy are SOOO bad, why haven't there ben anymore attacks since 911. If they were behind the attacks then why not more attacks and simply declare marshal law? If they aren't doing thier jobs then where are the other attacks?

Sorry there is no Logic to this attack either.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I would like someone to fill these positions who will fully support and defend the U.S. Constitution against enemies both foreign and domestic. Currently, the enemies are in the gates.

but who... name them...

as far as "the enemies are in the gates", that's your opinion.

My point is... people are never going to be happy with the President, and his staff, regardless of who they are...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

My point is... people are never going to be happy with the President, and his staff, regardless of who they are...

Actually, I was VERY happy with Clinton. I may have disagreed with a few of his policies, but my life, economic wise, was MUCH better under Clinton thatn it ever has been under a republican.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Actually, I was VERY happy with Clinton. I may have disagreed with a few of his policies, but my life, economic wise, was MUCH better under Clinton thatn it ever has been under a republican.

The "Clinton" economy was drive by two things. Y2K and corporate lies about profits. Companies spend billions in the tech sector to avoid Y2K. That money found its way into wall street. False earnings reports in the late 90's was a result of "buy me" mentality. Look at all the "corrections" when GW took office.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
The "Clinton" economy was drive by two things. Y2K and corporate lies about profits. Companies spend billions in the tech sector to avoid Y2K. That money found its way into wall street. False earnings reports in the late 90's was a result of "buy me" mentality. Look at all the "corrections" when GW took office.

Do you actually believe the crap that spews out of your head? I'll bet you could breathe better if you stand up.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

If, GW and Rummy are SOOO bad, why haven't there ben anymore attacks since 911. If they were behind the attacks then why not more attacks and simply declare marshal law

All in good time, grasshoppa.

Congressman Ron Paul, (R., Tx) would make a good president, for starters.
He apparently still clings to the archaic notion that we should adhere to the founding fathers wisdom embedded in our Constitution. What a concept.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

would it make you feel better to know I think Bill Clinton was just as corrupt?

I like that avatar, btw.
The Steelers RULE!

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

True, but when it's almost half of the populace you have to realise that there is something going wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

If, GW and Rummy are SOOO bad, why haven't there ben anymore attacks since 911. If they were behind the attacks then why not more attacks and simply declare marshal law

All in good time, grasshoppa.

Congressman Ron Paul, (R., Tx) would make a good president, for starters.
He apparently still clings to the archaic notion that we should adhere to the founding fathers wisdom embedded in our Constitution. What a concept.

Ron Paul used to be my Rep. Now its Tom Delay. Am I moving backwards?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Ron Paul used to be my Rep. Now its Tom Delay. Am I moving backwards?

Ron Paul's the man. They never listen to him, though; because, he tells the truth. That's something the majority of our national politicos are allergic to.
It's a shame.

new topics

top topics

join