It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man accidentally discovers "perfectly preserved" Roman villa in his backyard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
How does that much dirt cover a building or foundation of a villa ? I'm always dumbfounded when they find a place like this...I can't help but think " who covered it with dirt or how did the dirt get there ?"

That question becomes even more intriguing if we consider the Romans occupied that country side, conquered and subdued it and then built themselves homes, using the locals as slaves to build the mosaic floor and farm the oysters, haul the water, prepare the food…

If they were eventually defeated and or driven out, their memory may have been expunged the way the Nazis were after WWII. All the icons were torn down, piled up and burned in the town square. The locals may have taken down and buried the villa on purpose. That coins remain in the rubble mean they may left in a damn hurry, anyway.

Good riddance.
edit on 19-4-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
How nice to have so much history, and more every year, unlike the continent, the UK was not fought over every twenty years, (in modern times) so a lot survived.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

This reminds me that most of my random crap-do activities very often lead to prominent but unexpected endings. Joke of the universe? The golf-ball joke!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This is an incredible find. I am always fascinated when things like this are un-earthed right under the averaged persons feet. As stated earlier... I hope they do not try to evict this guy now.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join