It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There ought to be a law against that"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Was not sure where to post this, I believe it could fit into a few forums but it is most definitely one of my favorite rants. Please put it into the most appropriate forum.

"There ought to be a law against that"

IMHO this statement has made a huge contribution to the downfall and corruption of our society. Every time we make a law against something, we give that much more power to TPTB. Power corrupts and our government has become very powerful and very corrupted.

While I understand the sentiment and logic behind many laws, I also understand the power those laws take away from us. If you don't wear a seatbelt you can get a ticket, if you are poor you might not be able to pay that ticket. You don't pay your ticket you can lose your license and this your right to drive along with the benefits of being able to get where you need to go.

So this useful law that has most likely saved lives, has also likely ruined a few. That is just one example of how laws give away power.

We boast of our freedom, but every law we enact gives away that much more of our freedom into what has become a very corrupt government that has more and more control over our lives and freedom every day.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Say the person in the back seat doesn't wear a seatbelt and they end up in a collision head butting the driver at 60mph...

Does that law make sense now?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: gypsycat
Seat belt laws tend to benefit the group that made sure that the laws were written and passed..... Automobile Insurance Companies!

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Unfortunately our technological and social evolution has hindered that.

Just look at HB2...thats a social bill

and the invention of the internet, transportation, and scientific advances double the laws created in half the time.

Honestly, Im all for rights, but id rather there be a law punishing idiots who dont wear a seatbelt.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Seatbelt laws are "common sense" laws that were done to see if government could infringe on the rights of the individual.

Sure, seatbelts save lives. They are a smart thing to wear. But if one doesn't, then they are only harming themselves.

This type of law is used to insert government nanny-state thinking into society.

Same with helmet laws and a myriad of other pointless laws used to criminalize the populations, raise revenue to localities and make us used to the government interfering in our lives.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hazardous1408,

No. The only person the law would benefit would be the county issuing no seatbelt tickets.

Just because there is a law in place does not mean people will follow it.

I wear my seatbelt every time I use a vehicle that has them available (most buses don't have them available for passengers at all but the laws overlook that) not because of any law but because I feel safer.

Most laws are not enacted to keep you safe they are created to restrict liberty and generate revenue.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I am not saying the seatbelt law does not make sense. Most laws do make sense., or they would not have been made into law. I am trying to point out that every law we make takes away that much more of our freedom.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Every one seems to be concentrating on ONE example. I think OP is talking about useless laws in general. There are many people who, following their own beliefs, though not religious in nature, just the "I'm Right" frame of mind, will want laws written to forbid what they don't like.
Look at one poster here who wanted laws written forcing men to eat the same foods a pregnant woman has when suffering cravings.. Or stay home and do all the work, etc...
Useless, victimless crimes, that just put money in the pocket of Power and do almost nothing to make our lives better.

ETa : Getting a ticket for jaywalking is just stupid. A law, fining you for stepping out in traffic. My personal opinion : If you're so involved in your cell phone that you step in front of a bus, you deserve a Darwin. If you're so stupid you cross the street when the light is green...same.
If You Need A Law to stop you doing something stupid, we need less laws and more smart people.
edit on 18-4-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thank you for understanding what I am trying to say.

You are right about the common sense laws, and they seem to be a great place to start. There are so many times I agree with the sentiment behind the phrase there should be a law against something, but must admit it still assets my teeth on edge.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Say the person in the back seat doesn't wear a seatbelt and they end up in a collision head butting the driver at 60mph...

Does that law make sense now?

The same sort of incident could occur if an unsecured object or pet (neither of which may be required to wear seatbelts) strikes the driver.
Does the law make sense?
It does if you follow the money. Money into the coffers of government through fines and money to the re-election campaigns of the state legislators that passed the laws for the insurance companies.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20616914]DAVID64[/post
Yes, thank you for understanding, I thought the seatbelt law would be a somewhat inoffensive example, but I suppose most of the laws against victimless crimes must touch some cord, or they would not have passed.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I think you only have to wear a seat belt in the front seat. In TN anyway

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What good is a Law when laws are selectivly enforced?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
The same sort of incident could occur if an unsecured object or pet (neither of which may be required to wear seatbelts) strikes the driver.

Guess what? We have a pet seatbelt law in the People's Republic of New Jersey.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I tend to ignore laws if they differ to my ethical and moral considerations. Cops in my region also ignore many because they are underfunded and understaffed so they're too busy dealing with real crime.

There will always be the hardest gang in town setting the 'rules' be it the government or the biggest lawless group of males.
I'm happy enough with how it is in my parts, the biggest gang ignore the same BS laws as I do.

...I understand your sentiment though

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: butcherguy

Guess what? We have a pet seatbelt law in the People's Republic of New Jersey.

I would say that I am surprised... but I am not.
I bet you don't have a law that says you have to belt in your bowling ball.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Nope. You can pile all kinds of unsecured crap in your car without worry that the Stasi are going to haul you off to a labor camp.

For now.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nope. You can pile all kinds of unsecured crap in your car without worry that the Stasi are going to haul you off to a labor camp.

For now.

Except for guns and hollowpoint bullets.. right?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

No comment.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

New Jersey cop stops someone. . .

"Excuse me, uh Vinny, but apparently the corpse you have riding in your trunk, who accidently fell down 5 flights of stairs into your legally obtained letter opener, does not have the proper seatbelt attached, I have to write you a ticket."

Vinny, "Fuggeddaboudit"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join