It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Abzu Shrine of Enki on the Island of Dilmun.

page: 1

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The Barbar Temple on the island of Bahrain is considered to relate to the cult of Enki and Ninhursanja from the Sumerian Dilmun period, the earliest level of the Temple is considered to date to C 5,000 years ago, an interesting aspect found in the foundation deposits is large numbers of beakers each containing seven goblets

At the foundation of Temple I offerings were deposited in the clay core of the temple terrace and they consisted of dozens of clay goblets found in separate groups each containing seven beakers which were broken and buried within the foundations of the terrace. Also copper objects were deposited in small heaps or singly. In the south-western corner of this early temple, steps led down to a square-built well.

Something of a strange mystery there, but i want to look in particular at the curious features relating to what is considered to be the Abzu shrine well;

In the south, west and north walls of the pool chamber were four openings for subterranean channels The levels of the floor of the channel measured in the two soundings and at the opening into the pool make it clear that the floor slopes down towards the pool, i.e. it must have brought water into it. While there is no reason to doubt this conclusion, it nevertheless raises some questions

New Excavations at the Barbar Temple Bahrain

The Abzu shrine with the steps leading down into the well can be seen on this overall site view at the lower left;

From the opening into the pool, the first 4–5 m of the channel can be seen to be constructed entirely of well-dressed ashlars, built in bond with the walls of the pool chamber

So we see in this photo three of the channels built into the well shrine;

From the central terrace a ceremonial stairway led to the subterranean shrine where water cult ceremonies took place. Halfway down the stair was a portal, and from there the stair was roofed. The rich natural spring which filled the pool probably accounts for the siting of the temple at Barbar. Water poured from a perforated stone jar beside a semicircular stone font at the threshold of a dry chamber near the basin.

And here looking in the other direction we see the fourth;

There are puzzling aspects to these;

If the channel was intended to fill the pool with water, why was the floor of the channel then level with the floor of the pool? It would surely have been more practical to have the channel outlet into the pool positioned above the desired water level of the pool instead of being level with its bottom! With the walls and roof of the channel constructed in stones set in clay, it seems strange that the floor merely consisted of subsoil sand without any forti- fication.

The gradient of the floor is rather steep, so there would presumably be a danger that the running water would erode the sand below the walls with the risk of collapse. Besides, would the water not seep into the ground?

If intended to drain water into the pool the question is also were would they be sourcing that water from, this being Bahrain, the channels extend away from the Temple and it is unknown were they originate, they are set as deep as 4m into the ground.

At its most southerly position the channel was constructed in a c. 4 m-deep pit, and it is doubtful how much further it would have proceeded, because of the practical difficulties of constructing at this depth.

The origin of the water north of the temple and the purpose of transporting it towards the south are unknown. Is this channel perhaps connected to the southeast pool channel described above or is it part of an irrigation system – an early example of a falaj?

In order to answer these questions it would be helpful if the subterranean structures could be detected by geophysical methods, but experiments in 2004 with ground-penetrating radar and conductivity meter proved unproductive

What seems clear is that there was a considerable amount of engineering involved in connecting these four conduits to the well shrine which must have been undertaken during the initial stages of construction, it would be very helpful to know were they originate from and thus learn their full extent, normally an underground qanat type system draws water from an upland area and slopes down at a small incline toward irrigated land, but i can't see that being appropriate for Bahrain.

Textual evidence from the myth of Enki and Ninhursanja which directly relates to the establishment of the Dilmun colony indicates that fresh water was pumped from the Earth;

...from the mouth that pours out the earth's water he brought her sweet water from the earth. He pumps the water into her large cisterns. From them her city drinks the wealth of water; Dilmun drinks from them the waters overflowing. Her well of bitter water is now a well of sweet water.

The well shrine itself can fill naturally during certain seasons still, it would have been unthinkable to let the Abzu well run dry and so provision for pumping water into the well if needed would sort of make sense, why four potential sources would be required seems odd, but perhaps there was some symbolism involved.

What these conduits also reminded me of were The conduits set into the floor of the Giza Temples, but there it seems very unlikely they could have been used as drainage channels, more likely cable.
edit on Kam430108vAmerica/ChicagoMonday1830 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Looking at a closer image of i think the conduit set into the North wall of the shrine it appears that there are actually two conduits, a smaller beneath the larger portal, which would be very odd, and also it must be questioned if that part of the shrine was submerged given no variation in the stones at different levels and the condition of the mortar, if original.

edit on Kam430108vAmerica/ChicagoMonday1830 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

Textual evidence from the myth of Enki and Ninhursanja which directly relates to the establishment of the Dilmun colony indicates that fresh water was pumped from the Earth;

With regards to the mythos. I think it's possible this temple may have actually been a water pumping 'facility' of sorts. The religious aspect of it maybe was people whom wanted to draw water from this temple had to pay a tithe to do so and/or participate in a religious ritual to thank the deity Ninhursag.

Just speculation though.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

It's not so speculative the pumping of fresh water from the Earth into large cisterns was related to the cult of Enki, i'm not sure that suitable large cisterns can be found at this site, but it depends what form they took, and also it could be the case as far as anyone knows that the underground channels connected to sunken cisterns elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

nice share as always Kantzveldt.

After viewing the data is seems this site is related to fluid transfer - movement or even production. I say fluid because fresh water may of been one of the main functioning liquids extracted from a underground stream - pond - reservoir but there may have also been salt water.

When observing the channel points shown in the 3rd and 4th photos it seems some of the lower channels may have been removal channels of thicker debris/slurry and the larger channels appear to be pumping in larger quantity of fluids cycling the flow...

The floors walls and other contact points with the liquids/water perhaps were sealed or covered in some special polished copper and or clay and other possible sealant like materials.

The engineering is brilliant indeed. Ancient sites like these it seems if possible more would or could be learned if more was excavated underneath and around them.
Also it seems some of the more interesting gem like crystal like components or gold based materials that could of been used as knobs or even gear-fan like or piping to encourage liquid flow travel would of been plundered by some of the unaware back then who may of found them to be important and or valuable. So when viewing sites you got to imagine a little to see the floors and walls coverings to prevent leakage.

Interesting thread Kantzveldt

NAMASTE*******

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thats a really good point! It looks like nothing else but a water themed structure, but there doesnt seem to be any mineral or bio deposits/stains, or erosion.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

I just read your post in regards to types of lining materials for the cisterns.

Clay would be a natural choice, but this would leave traces behind. As far as I can tell its pretty much sand and rock walls, no crumbly bits of plaster or clay.

Copper? Expensive even then, but totally possible. I imagine there would have been some green patina left on the stone where it attached or just in contact with it.

Where is TimeTeam when you need them?

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Maybe they had a power plant of sorts going on there. All the copper, canisters and perhaps a salt water pool? Idk, I've forgotten all the basics on how to build a battery?

Or maybe they manufactured those little pots (batteries) that Dagon is always holding in one hand and a rod in the other next to illuminated trees, etc?

I'm totally thinking in out there ways today, just having a boring day being rained in for a couple of days, just ignore if it's too far out there,

STM
edit on 18-4-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt
Looking at a closer image of i think the conduit set into the North wall of the shrine it appears that there are actually two conduits, a smaller beneath the larger portal, which would be very odd, and also it must be questioned if that part of the shrine was submerged given no variation in the stones at different levels and the condition of the mortar, if original.

The conduit dont look like made of stone its seem to be wooden or metallic.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Yes we can't have much idea what fittings could have been in the room, there was another nearby small Temple complex with stairs leading down to a sunken chamber connected to two channels and every single stone was robbed from the complex, so not easy to determine function.

a reply to: Butterfinger

It's also the case as the paper outlines that the channels were by no means water tight, there was perhapsa font in the chamber like that found at the Temple of Ningirsu which related to the Abzu shrine there.

Water poured from a perforated stone jar beside a semicircular stone font at the threshold of a dry chamber near the basin.

a reply to: drwire

It looks more to me that something has been fitted against the stone edge there and discoloured it, plating of some sort.

a reply to: seentoomuch

As i mentioned i looked at conduits leading into the Temples on the Giza plateau here and there's no way they were designed to carry water, the reasonable assumption there was they did feed cable from outside the Temple into it .

Also there was this thread which considered the strange copper plated pylons that stood beside Abzu shrines.
edit on Kam430109vAmerica/ChicagoTuesday1930 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Nothing to add, just praise for great work, and contributions by thread participants. You guys have me digging through by bookshelves to get back to the ancient world I've been neglecting.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt

As i mentioned i looked at conduits leading into the Temples on the Giza plateau here and there's no way they were designed to carry water, the reasonable assumption there was they did feed cable from outside the Temple into it .

Also there was this thread which considered the strange copper plated pylons that stood beside Abzu shrines.

Yeah, I probably picked up the idea from all my reading here on ATS, especially your threads, Kantzveldt. After awhile they all mix together, lol. But yeah, it looks like something was manufactured there or was a large power source for the locale.

Once again from all my reading wasn't it standard for the priests to have access to the higher learning and wasn't Moses for example trained by the Egyptian priests? And then he built the Ark of the Covenant, sort've a mobile power source of some sort. So thanks for this thread, it looks like another location that fits with your theories and now mine,

STM

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Some interesting footage here inside the large channel on the South wall from 6.20 , which actually again appears to be split into two conduits running one on top of the other...probaly best seen with the sound off

edit on Kam430109vAmerica/ChicagoTuesday1930 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Watched the video with the sound off as suggested. I saw the scale of the openings into the pool area. It's clear that a grown person could slide through the larger openings but for ease I would say that children or teenagers probably sided it which might explain the lack of workmanship.

I'm stepping out of the thread now to lurk to see what the experts have to say. Thanks for the great thread,

STM

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Awesome, thanks for sharing Kantzveldt! I would like to add my two cents. Speaking of the large number of beakers that were found, each containing seven chalices? I think that could refer to the "Seven Sages", and may imply that this site was also used for some sort of religious purpose.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sourcery

Yes that seems probable, they were associated with the cult of Enki and the Abzu and also as the founders of civilization seven sage fish-men figurines could be placed as building foundation deposits, the seven beakers along similar lines.

edit on Kam430110vAmerica/ChicagoWednesday2030 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Long time troll, first time poster. First I must say I've always loved ats. I stumbled across this thread this morning and haven't been able to read all of the comments so I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this already. But judging by the first post, this complex was made to pull orme and ormus out of the ground. This could be the sweet water referenced in the first post. Bear in mind this is excited speculation, but I've been doing years of research on the subject and found stumbiling across this post coincidental.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dw33zy12

Right on and welcome to ATS dw33zy12. Would you be so kind as to share your knowledge of Orme and Ormus? It seems I am woefully ignorant on this subject.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sourcery

Right on and welcome to ATS dw33zy12. Would you be so kind as to share your knowledge of Orme and Ormus? It seems I am woefully ignorant on this subject.

Thank you for the warm welcome sourcery: ) I would be honored to share what I've learned about orme, ormus, or the most well known name "mono-atomic elements." First I'll include links to some very well written research and experiments on the science of mono-atomic elements for those who want to learn everything there is that has been discovered on this subject. After that I'll add a brief description of what they are, the main elements involved and how they could coincide with this site.

Links:
Background on the "re"discovery of ormus
www.subtleenergies.com...
Ormus- what is it? (Main learning page with links to many different articles on the subject)www.subtleenergies.com...
Patent for invention made to produce ormus.www.subtleenergies.com...

Those are some basic links, I apologize for not including more thorough links to the subject but I work 12 hour days so I'm pressed on time for the night.

Finally a brief description of mono-atomic elements. From what I've learned the only mono-atomic elements with special properties not shared by a cluster of the same atoms are the transition metals. Through a very controlled process (see included patent) we are able to break down all of the transition metals to a mono-atomic state "a single atom unbound to any other atoms". When these transition metals reach said state they start to exhibit very strange properties like levitation over an electromagnet, avoiding being touched by an individual, and like with monoatomic gold when freed completely from an h2o solution disappears in a blinding flash of light being unable to be disturbed until the conditions are reversed and the gold reappears. Mono-atomic elements are a very long lost science I've been dedicating my life to since I first found out about them. I'll leave this to be digested for the night and will be back on in the morning. I hope I have provided some comprehensive reading materials for anybody interested in learning about the subject. I'll leave with a sentences to get the mind thinking about this subject in relation to ancient history or lore.

First off. Manna- what is it? Some will know this reference.
Second, in ancient Egypt they talked about the white powder of gold, primarily in relation to the priests "I love how seentoomuch included said priests in an above post"
And finally as a throw back to the accomplished alchemists of days past- divide, divide, divide and as above so below. To me this has always been the best accomplishment of those who fully understood ormus.

I look forward to hearing from everybody: ) of course pull no punches, I've been dying to have a meaningful conversation on this subject. Goodnight to all atsers: )

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sourcery

Thank you for the warm welcome sourcery: ) I would be honored to share what I've learned about orme, ormus, or the most well known name "mono-atomic elements." First I'll include links to some very well written research and experiments on the science of mono-atomic elements for those who want to learn everything there is that has been discovered on this subject. After that I'll add a brief description of what they are, the main elements involved and how they could coincide with this site.

Links:
Background on the "re"discovery of ormus
www.subtleenergies.com...
Ormus- what is it? (Main learning page with links to many different articles on the subject)www.subtleenergies.com...
Patent for invention made to produce ormus.www.subtleenergies.com...

Those are some basic links, I apologize for not including more thorough links to the subject but I work 12 hour days so I'm pressed on time for the night.

Finally a brief description of mono-atomic elements. From what I've learned the only mono-atomic elements with special properties not shared by a cluster of the same atoms are the transition metals. Through a very controlled process (see included patent) we are able to break down all of the transition metals to a mono-atomic state "a single atom unbound to any other atoms". When these transition metals reach said state they start to exhibit very strange properties like levitation over an electromagnet, avoiding being touched by an individual, and like with monoatomic gold when freed completely from an h2o solution disappears in a blinding flash of light being unable to be disturbed until the conditions are reversed and the gold reappears. Mono-atomic elements are a very long lost science I've been dedicating my life to since I first found out about them. I'll leave this to be digested for the night and will be back on in the morning. I hope I have provided some comprehensive reading materials for anybody interested in learning about the subject. I'll leave with a sentences to get the mind thinking about this subject in relation to ancient history or lore.

First off. Manna- what is it? Some will know this reference.
Second, in ancient Egypt they talked about the white powder of gold, primarily in relation to the priests "I love how seentoomuch included said priests in an above post"
And finally as a throw back to the accomplished alchemists of days past- divide, divide, divide and as above so below. To me this has always been the best accomplishment of those who fully understood ormus.

I look forward to hearing from everybody: ) of course pull no punches, I've been dying to have a meaningful conversation on this subject. Goodnight to all atsers: )

top topics

join