It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression, the secret we share: A TED talk

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Richsac89
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Thanks bud, glad to know I wasn't the only one fighting my own negative thoughts.

You are very welcome. The trick is to not fight them - just see them.

I learned afew things from the videos ane quick google searches. Don't give those insignificant negative thoughts any landing zones, let them fly right on by, direct them else where into the vast infinite emptyness of thoughts. Imagine in your head a blackboard and as thoughts draw in with chalk, you erase them or you can use a spray paint, white out what ever helps with erasing.

Don't give too much thought to getting rid of thoughts - if there is a wanting to identify good thoughts from bad thoughts the bad thoughts will disturb you. Thoughts are neither good or bad - just see the thoughts and know that you are what unconditionally allows them to be. If a thought arises - it is too late to not allow it. There is no need to do anything at all with the thoughts - everything that is arising is subsiding - all is just happening.

Both of these videos are amazing at showing how all minds work especially the second one - really funny.

edit on 21-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

a reply to: vethumanbeing

This 'idea' is even in the bible! And Advaita but again 'WHO' is authoring anything??

NO; I will argue this; lifted word for word paragraphs spoken. The text is fine; just not given any credit to the actual author 'Michael James'; (Tolle) lifted from James book "Happiness and the Art Of Being" word for word. This is not Biblical quoting (another antithesis) of Psalms. Come on.

That's strange because Michael James book ''Happiness and the Art of Being" was first published October 30th 2007 and Eckhart Tolles book 'The Power of Now' was published in the 1990s.

Happiness and the Art of Being: An Introduction to the Philosophy and Practice of the Spiritual Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana
by Michael James
published 2007
www.goodreads.com...

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment is a book by Eckhart Tolle. The book is intended to be a self-help guide for day-to-day living and stresses the importance of living in the present moment and avoiding thoughts of the past or future.

Published in the late 1990s.
en.wikipedia.org...

Someone needs to file a lawsuit (how much spare change do you have on hand) as Bhagavan Sri Ramana ideas are clearly being ripped off.
edit on 21-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

You are very welcome. The trick is to not fight them - just see them.

Learning this was a key in helping me. I would try to throw up a wall and block the things that were bothering me. Once I took the wall down and just let them pass, it was so much better! It took (still takes) effort, but it really does make a difference!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Yep, "see" them, and let them float on by.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

This 'idea' is even in the bible! And Advaita but again 'WHO' is authoring anything??

NO; I will argue this; lifted word for word paragraphs spoken. The text is fine; just not given any credit to the actual author 'Michael James'; (Tolle) lifted from James book "Happiness and the Art Of Being" word for word. This is not Biblical quoting (another antithesis) of Psalms. Come on.

That's strange because Michael James book ''Happiness and the Art of Being" was first published October 30th 2007 and Eckhart Tolles book 'The Power of Now' was published in the 1990s.

Happiness and the Art of Being: An Introduction to the Philosophy and Practice of the Spiritual Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana
by Michael James
published 2007
www.goodreads.com...

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment is a book by Eckhart Tolle. The book is intended to be a self-help guide for day-to-day living and stresses the importance of living in the present moment and avoiding thoughts of the past or future.

Published in the late 1990s.
en.wikipedia.org...

Someone needs to file a lawsuit (how much spare change do you have on hand) as Bhagavan Sri Ramana ideas are clearly being ripped off.

This 'idea' is Advaita Vedanta - the root of all religions.
edit on 21-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have to say something here. I have suffered with major depressive disorder and anxiety my entire life. It has nothing to do with anything that is going on in my life. It is not being sad all the time. It is being locked in a dark room with a tiny light in one corner. What you try to do is make sure that the little light doesn't go out.

I have been on various meds over the years, including zoloft, effexor... I currently take three different medications which only serve to keep me at a level where I can function like a "normal" person day to day. Without meds, I become a crazy person. My personality does a 180 and I turn into "mean mommy" as my older children used to tell me. I do still feel things, such as sadness and happiness, just like everyone else. The only difference is that I can drop down the rabbit hole at any time.

And one more thing. It seems to me that nowadays everyone has "depression", "anxiety", etc. Its become a catch all for an excuse to not take charge of, and responsibility for, your own life and your own actions.

Thanks for reading this. ☺
edit on 4/22/2016 by Menrva because: Added sumtin'..

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Menrva

I have been on various meds over the years, including zoloft, effexor... I currently take three different medications which only serve to keep me at a level where I can function like a "normal" person day to day. Without meds, I become a crazy person. My personality does a 180 and I turn into "mean mommy" as my older children used to tell me. I do still feel things, such as sadness and happiness, just like everyone else. The only difference is that I can drop down the rabbit hole at any time.
I understand. I remember when my kids were preschoolers, and I used to have these debilitating abdominal cramps, no doctor could ever diagnose - but these things knocked me off my feet, literally.

I was irritable with everyone - yet I had nothing really to complain about...

And one more thing. It seems to me that nowadays everyone has "depression", "anxiety", etc. Its become a catch all for an excuse to not take charge of, and responsibility for, your own life and your own actions.

And this is where I disagree profoundly. It may be that more of the public in general knows the term, and throws it around willy-nilly; sort of like people used to toss around references to women's monthly cycles....
all those catchy 'syndromes' - craving pickes when pregnant; menopause; mid-life crisis; post-partum depression; etc.

See, those are all real things, but they are normal, they are part of what our bodies do as we live, grow, age, and die.
Overreacting to tiny daily things is more of a clue to actual depression.....a dropped spoon or some sort of equivalently trivial event that would normally be nothing more than casual dinner conversation can become a major trauma, triggering a rage that otherwise lies right below the surface.

I do know what you are feeling. And yes, perhaps the "lay usage" has dulled the term around the edges a bit - but it remains a serious issue in our society. Today I was hearing on NPR how the suicide rate is going up among American girls ages 10-14. TEN TO FOURTEEN? They're little girls, for Chrissakes....
how are they suicidal? What the hell has happened to them?

This statistic scares the hell out of me. My two have successfully navigated their first quarter-century, but only just.

These little girls, who were born post-9/11, seem to be rather different. Interesting, and alarming at the same time. What is happening????

Thanks for reading this. ☺

You're welcome. Thanks for extending yourself. Takes guts.
edit on 4/22/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Itisnowagain: This 'idea' is Advaita Vedanta - the root of all religions.

What is the idea or ideas; those of Bhagavan Sri Ramana (just to clarify)?
edit on 22-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Itisnowagain: This 'idea' is Advaita Vedanta - the root of all religions.

What is the idea or ideas; those of Bhagavan Sri Ramana (just to clarify)?

The thing is 'it' is not an idea. What 'they' point to is prior to any idea.
It points to the non conceptual space out of which all concepts are 'made'.

This message is the perennial philosophy - it cannot be owned by anyone - that is the joke!!
It is about realizing the true and recognizing the false - seeing what is and what isn't.

Jesus was spreading the same message.

This back and forth about who said what is a silly distraction from the topic at hand - it doesn't matter who said what Sri Ramana Maharshi, Eckhart Tolle, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Jesus or Buddha said - it is about what is hearing or seeing the words, what is seeing and knowing there is any message appearing? In what does all that appears appear - That is the one that is overlooked.

Nisargadatta Maharaj most famous book is called 'I Am That'.

edit on 23-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The cause of depression and anxiety is the belief in something which is only 'seemingly' so!!
Believing in the self which is separate from life is the root of all human suffering.

edit on 23-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Yep, that's all well and good. But trying to teach Westerners that concept when they are, and I mean they are suffering with depression does not remedy the way they feel immediately.

It takes years, and careful thought, to learn Eastern ways of thinking. Some people never manage it. It's a foreign language to them, basically - I have studied and practiced Eastern (Oriental) thought, so I get what you are saying. But to say that to a Western American who is debilitated by depression is not very helpful for them, is it?

No. Once they have found an even keel you can mention such things - but when they are explosively or suicidally gripped with subjective suffering is not the time.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have read "I am that". The point is the message is given to whatever system can endorse change (plastic).

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
It takes years, and careful thought, to learn Eastern ways of thinking. Some people never manage it.

The point is no one will manage it!! The point is there is 'someone' trying to manage life and that is the issue - until it is realized that no one is doing life there will be suffering. Life is just happening. If it so happens that there is sadness then that is what there is - but the 'someone who doesn't want it'..... produces the illusion of someone suffering - a sufferer, a victim.
As long as there appears to be someone separate from life there will be a sufferer of life - but when it is realized that there is no one - there can still be suffering but there is no one suffering.

It is impossible to manage 'your life' because you don't have a life - there is only life and it is always what is happening.

I posted videos from Eckhart Tolle and other modern speakers of non duality ('Eastern ways of thinking') which only need to be heard - there is nothing to 'learn' - messed up thinking is easily recognized when it is inquired into. How long does it take to realize that what you thought was a snake in the corner of a room is actually a rope?
How many years will it take to realize that something that isn't happening, isn't happening?

edit on 24-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Paul Hedderman used to be an addict - alcohol and drugs - and he entered AA and realized that the main addiction is the addiction to 'selfing'.
He heard a message and the mind entertained it and now he shares a message which when simply entertained (not learned) - if heard it can be entertained - if it has not been heard then it cannot be entertained. A new possibility can be dropped into the head.

edit on 24-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I understand that you want people to grasp the concept of "it just is what it is" - I get it. As far as that goes, I agree with you. But this thread is about how to help people who are subjectively suffering to manage - not to teach them Buddhist/Tao principles while they are in the depths of despair. It has to start with breathing, relaxation, and slowly learning new responses.

Yes, I have learned how to deal with crises and losses without decompensating - but not everyone is stable enough or ready to do that. It takes effort to "unlearn" one's old coping strategies, recognize them for what they were and realize that they have become counter-productive.

Have you never been "depressed", ever? Whether one is able to consciously and deliberately allow feelings to just "be," to notice them and then let them go, has much to do with how one handles stress and crises. The pain is too much for some people to endure. It isn't easy to learn different thinking styles and strategies. When someone has learned over the course of their life to move through life "reacting" and "managing" - using whatever coping skills they learned along the way - and they wind up in despair - one can't just say to them, "Oh, for pity's sake, knock it off! Get over it! You have no control over anything and none of it matters anyway. You're just feeling sorry for yourself, it's all an illusion."

Not very compassionate, empathetic, supportive, or helpful. Not what is needed while in the throes of debilitating depression. Maybe someday later that seed will grow, but you can't just expect to stick an entire new worldview and perspective into a person's mind in another language and think that will "cure" them without any further support or coaching or companionable presence.

edit on 4/24/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

But this thread is about how to help people who are subjectively suffering to manage - not to teach them Buddhist/Tao principles while they are in the depths of despair. It has to start with breathing, relaxation, and slowly learning new responses.

If you help an illusion - it will continue.

Have you never been "depressed", ever?

Yes - tried everything and this message worked - other methods might for a while but they just mask the problem.
Does taking anti depressants 'cure' the problem?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

For some people, yes, antidepressants "cure" the problem - if their brain doesn't produce enough seratonin. You're generalizing, though - biochemical imbalance can cause depression...so can situational mal-adjustment. One or the other, or both.

Once the client is stabilized and calm, then yes, you can teach them mindfulness, meditation, etc. First they have to be stabilized so they can think clearly. Triage. De-escalation comes before the actual work of learning new coping skills.

edit on 4/25/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

De-escalation comes before the actual work of learning new coping skills.

But it is not about learning new 'coping' skills.
If there seems to be 'someone who needs to cope' then that is the issue - there is a belief in 'something' which is not true.
Until the belief in 'something which is not' has lifted there will be 'someone suffering'. When it is found that there is no one 'in there' suffering can still arise but it belongs to no one.

The root cause of depression is the obsession with self - it is all about me!

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Okay, thanks. *sigh*

Appreciate your input. See, I have decades of professional experience in this stuff....your intentions are good, but dealing with people who are exquisitely fragile is clearly not something you've been exposed to on a daily basis for years. I agree, people should study Eastern thought, Buddhism, especially the Tao.

They should! It should be taught in public schools, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Okay, thanks. *sigh*

Appreciate your input. See, I have decades of professional experience in this stuff....your intentions are good, but dealing with people who are exquisitely fragile is clearly not something you've been exposed to on a daily basis for years. I agree, people should study Eastern thought, Buddhism, especially the Tao.

They should! It should be taught in public schools, in my opinion.

I have not said that people should study 'Eastern thought' or Buddhism or The Tao.
If you are dealing with fragile people it is different from say - them watching a video on their own and just listening - how do you suppose it would affect them? Have you listened to any of the videosI have posted from modern speakers - Eckhart Tolle, Jeff Foster, Jac O'Keefe?

edit on 25-4-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join