It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression, the secret we share: A TED talk

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

How bout 70 and alone,....perfect setup for continuing.

Very kind offer. Don't want to further disrail this thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I actually wish ATS had a dedicated forum on mental health, with Depression taking the lead.

I've studied the subject a lot, and suffered through bouts in and out. There are a few 'tricks' to keep it at bay, natural ones.
I highly recommend "The Depression Cure" by Dr. Ilardi.

Helped set me on my way to healing, but I have some days where Depression kicks me down in to a hole, and I have to fight out. It seems much more prevalent and I think it's hard to actually feel entirely 'well' when there is so much going on in the world and society seems closed off, with the internet taking a lead on social interaction.

I do place a lot blame on the rise in depression on 'social media' sites, gaming, internet use. Sorry, but a lot is cancerous. My two cents.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

You will not take my thunder or anyone else that is the new 30. I was alone the moment I was born; and in so being had to figure out why I am here who is this family; environment born into. What is my reason for being? Curiosity!
edit on 17-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I have battled depression all my life. If it wasn't for medicine, I don't think I would be here to write this.

Depression is horrible thing to deal with, it makes you not want to get out of bed, you have no desire to do anything, it is a very gloomy dreadful of feelings of hopelessness.

You have no energy and want to sleep all the time.

I have to change medications about every six years because the old medication will stop working at a certain point.

I have to be my own guinea pig and try different medication to find out what is going to work for me. Some of the medications will not work and will do the opposite and make you worst than you were before.

However once I find one that works and usually it takes a few weeks to get into your system, I am normal again and happy.

I agree, taking walks in the sunshine helps some. However I do take 2,000 mg of vitamin D every day.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I use music played at concert levels (have to have a good sound system); to take me out of whatever negative place I find myself. Music feeds my soul (no idea why) other than transports me out of this arena to another place.

yep, hammer time and music does the trick for me. sometimes it might take a couple of days though.
but when i fire up my old 400 amp Pioneer system, put on some old vinyl, tapes or cd's. do some 1 to 12 oz curls, and a left hander, things become right with the world.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Omega 3 is the other effective supplement against depression.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
1) Sunlight
2) Exercise (30 minutes a day at least)
3) Social interaction
4) Omega 3
5) Regular sleep cycles
6) Stopping rumination or negative self talk....(the hardest one)

edit on 253am3012America/Chicago14CDT12America/Chicago by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

I use music played at concert levels (have to have a good sound system); to take me out of whatever negative place I find myself. Music feeds my soul (no idea why) other than transports me out of this arena to another place.

yep, hammer time and music does the trick for me. sometimes it might take a couple of days though.
but when i fire up my old 400 amp Pioneer system, put on some old vinyl, tapes or cd's. do some 1 to 12 oz curls, and a left hander, things become right with the world.

Technics speakers. Phase Linear 400 Amp and a Crown pre-amplifier. ANCIENT tech that still limps along (if you want theater sound). Used to own Klipshorns but my brother has them now (still work).

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: liveandlearn

You will not take my thunder or anyone else that is the new 30. I was alone the moment I was born; and in so being had to figure out why I am here who is this family; environment born into. What is my reason for being? Curiosity!
!

Do not want to discuss online. Like you and Texnicality said...all pre planned. I know this as well and was told the outcome. I am where I am. Try to change the result?...doesn' t work.

Anything else? ...PM

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

when i get depressed i drink when i get happy i drink,.........maybe i have a problem,

btw pills r horrible dont take them unlesss ur trying to get high
edit on 18-4-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

had to replace the receiver on the Pioneer system, got a sweet little Kenwood off ebay for 60 bucks. i also have my very first system i bought when i was 17, in my shop a 200 watt Fisher. the volume control pot needs to be replaced, got a couple of spots that get all crackly when you hit them and the speakers have seen better days, but for a shop it still thumps pretty good.

there's nothing that matches old school sound.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Remember the old saying: This too shall pass.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
For me, there are a number of remedies - exercise (particularly vigorous and also goal-oriented - like cleaning out the garage, or moving things around), and gardening (like someone said - in silence, listening to the world around me), lots of just "thinking" - walking/hiking, and yes - barefoot outside is an important interchange.

I was taught it needs to be bare earth, though - not just turf; the ions into the soles of the feet (or the hands if gardening without gloves) help to neutralize free radicals and improve overall well-being.

Sunshine. Sunshine. Vitamin D. We have a sunroom on the south side of our house - in winter I sit down there and read (or think, or draw, or whatever).

Also - solitude is very calming. With no "noise" such as TV or radio - but sometimes good music and dancing around really helps a lot, too.

As for meds - every person is different. I have been taking Zoloft for over 20 years - it works for me. It doesn't work for everyone. Everyone's chemistry is unique. For me the Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor (fancy way to say "makes more seratonin") works. I was a substance abuse counselor for some years, and I would never, ever take benzodiazapenes (Clonipin, Valium, Xanax, etc.). And definitely stay away from opioids like Oxycontin....

For me, the Zoloft has always worked - when I tried to stop, I went downhill in a hurry and big time...as soon as I got back on it, I improved again. ************I know some people will argue that SSRIs are bad bad bad; I am saying that for some people they help, they stabilize the brain chemistry...they DO NOT turn people into zombies who can't feel anything - all they do is increase seratonin production*****************

anyway - Depression runs in my family - anxiety also. Another trick I learned for anxiety attacks is Vitamin B6...in a dose up to about 200 mg (not more than 250, or you'll get tingly fingers! oh no!). You can't overdose (it's water soluble), and it calms the anxiety immediately (within minutes). Take it on an as needed basis....like people take Xanax or Valium...

anyway - thanks, everyone, for participating!

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I will try to remember the B6 remedy once I can experiment without worrying about how it will affect the baby. That's one of the hardest things for me right now, is I am so restricted because no one knows how a lot of natural (or pharmaceutical) meds interact with a fetus.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

had to replace the receiver on the Pioneer system, got a sweet little Kenwood off ebay for 60 bucks. i also have my very first system i bought when i was 17, in my shop a 200 watt Fisher. the volume control pot needs to be replaced, got a couple of spots that get all crackly when you hit them and the speakers have seen better days, but for a shop it still thumps pretty good. there's nothing that matches old school sound.

I absolutely agree; if one can limp the ancient tech along I will do it; 3 Acoustical Research turntables and counting. You have the first system bought at 17? Music if heard loud clearly and at the decibel levels; the frequency one needs is a great way to change one's mental state. Its joyous. (Philips 'Davids').
edit on 18-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

edit on 18-4-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Erm, sorry. Yes, sunshine is healthy.
It contains Vitamin D.

Source

Summary

The two main ways to get vitamin D are by exposing your bare skin to sunlight and by taking vitamin D supplements. You can’t get the right amount of vitamin D your body needs from food.

The most natural way to get vitamin D is by exposing your bare skin to sunlight (ultraviolet B rays). This can happen very quickly, particularly in the summer. You don’t need to tan or burn your skin to get vitamin D. You only need to expose your skin for around half the time it takes for your skin to turn pink and begin to burn. How much vitamin D is produced from sunlight depends on the time of day, where you live in the world and the color of your skin. The more skin you expose the more vitamin D is produced.

You can also get vitamin D by taking supplements. This is a good way to get vitamin D if you can’t get enough sunlight, or if you’re worried about exposing your skin. Vitamin D3 is the best kind of supplement to take. It comes in a number of different forms, such as tablets and capsules, but it doesn’t matter what form you take, or what time of the day you take it.

Your body gets most of the vitamins and minerals it needs from the foods that you eat. However, there are only a few foods that naturally contain any vitamin D. Most foods that contain vitamin D only have small amounts, so it’s almost impossible to get what your body needs just from food.

Because there are only small amounts of vitamin D in food there are only two sure ways to get enough vitamin D:

Exposing your bare skin to sunlight to get ultraviolet B (UVB).
Taking vitamin D supplements.

Sunshine. It is important.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
I will try to remember the B6 remedy once I can experiment without worrying about how it will affect the baby. That's one of the hardest things for me right now, is I am so restricted because no one knows how a lot of natural (or pharmaceutical) meds interact with a fetus.

Twin Lab's 'Brewers Yeast' supplement. Branched chain amino acids; vitamins. This is a perfect food source. Tibetan monks used to eat a diet of toasted barley with butter. They call this a complete food source?? Barley the food of the gods? Wheat germ, bran, flax seeds, oats, sesame seeds, barley makes for a good granola. Toast in the oven with a half a cup of oil and a cup of molasses at 260 degrees turning every 20 minutes for 1 and 1/2 hours. Powerful healthy food source for the morning. Nuts (walnuts, almonds,cashews) dried fruit and sunflower seeds combined for snacking. If anyone is interested in the ingredient granola measures; will be happy to post. You will feel so good you will not know what to do with your excess energy.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I tend to find most people are depressed because they feel like they can't achieve the things they want to in life.

I personally am depressed all the time because I don't actually want anything in life. Pretty sure they don't have pills out there that make you want all the junk in life you're apparently supposed to want.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
I tend to find most people are depressed because they feel like they can't achieve the things they want to in life.
I personally am depressed all the time because I don't actually want anything in life. Pretty sure they don't have pills out there that make you want all the junk in life you're apparently supposed to want.

No one can. Its not possible; we are too hard on ourselves as driven to achieve unnatural/unreasonable states of being. The westerner does not have the right tools to acquire tranquility/peace because lacks any understanding of a creator.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join