It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Religion Is Fake and While We Are At It

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: payt69

Yah that's usually how it goes. Whenever the bible/religion is being discussed, you usually see the false dichotomy of the tenets of religion/the bible being historically true (since that to most people is the only concept of 'truth' they can think of) vs it being false/superstition. So hopefully we can present a third option, namely that pretty much all the scriptures of the best known religions (but also other less known myths) point to the same truth through analogy.

I think, in terms of truth, there is a real, underlying reality of mind/spirit. But, it's a mystery...as in the quote I gave, one that exceeds the human capacity to fully know. In other words, I do believe in spiritual realms, of a sort. The exact dimensions and workings of which remain a mystery. I know it's there, because its presence is revealed in one way or another, but I don't know it the crude physical, concrete way I might know how to ride or fix a bike.

There's also the apophatic knowledge of God through negation, as well...which I find fascinating because it's a theology that explores God by exploring what God isn't.

-Heaven. Most people imagine a different place somewhere in the universe or transcendent of it where God resides. Whereever it is, it is a -place- one 'goes to' after 'death'. You can readily see that this line of thinking is ful of concepts which if not understood can lead one astray easily.

In Orthodoxy, they tend to say, of the dead "may their memory be eternal" and a chant as part of ceremonies for the dead. There are many, many facets to that concept alone. What is heaven? Where is heaven? In many ways, it's not productive to dwell on it too much. It's enough to know that heaven IS and relax. The rest, even from priests/theologians/monastics or people who've "died" is speculation at best.

In Luke 17, the farizees ask Jesus WHEN the kingdom of heaven will arrive. See they were thinking the exact same way most religious people do nowadays. They think it's something that's to be instituted somewhere in time, as an external, physical event. So what does Jesus tell them? Well you can't see it. It's not physical in nature. Don't look at the outside. It's not here or there, but within.

There are a lot of layers to the statement. The Kingdom is a state of being, from my understanding...one that is not limited by time and space. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to comment exactly without thoroughly garbling the theology. I'm no theologian, and, even worse, at the very start of the trail/nowhere near the summit.

This apparently is something that's incredibly hard to grasp.I guess inb Christian orthodox thinking, the idea of the KIngdom of God being within, there to be explored by those who are willing to look, conflicts with the idea that we are sinners, destined for hell unless we get ourselves 'saved'. How could the 'kingdom of heaven' be 'within' while we are mere sinners?

I don't know if I'd go so far as to completely secularize eternity as viewed by the Orthodox. There are still mystical aspects and they come with a belief in existence beyond death, as a reality rather than just part of a story intended to impart wisdom. From what I understand of the Orthodox concept of Hell... this is also a state of being, but one deprived of union with God/The Divine/The Infinitely Good (an incorporeal being filled with Grace, which is an un-created energy produced by God). The privation creates the suffering, and the privation is a result of freely chosen state of being elected by the individual. Being baptized doesn't (or receiving sacraments doesn't) leave one, by default, "saved" vs. damned. Salvation, as I understand, comes from the continued effort to relate to God, the continued reliance on God for the energy (grace) to remain consistent or pick up and carry on when a fall happens.

Again, I'm not a theologian and I offer the disclaimer that it's probably better to find one to read on the topic. There are volumes on this alone.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way then

Again, I wouldn't entirely secularize it. I do think there are realities beyond visible and tactile ones, and that's the mystery which we can only see through a glass darkly.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
People don’t realize religion is “faith” in something that hasn’t happened yet.

Its faith in things unseen by the 5 senses.

Religion can be dangerous when people take faith as certain knowledge…it isn’t.

Its theory….It’s the science that includes a practice until one has something perfected to some degree.

The mystics are those in religion who seek certainty of the theory beyond faith.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I do believe that there are spirits in this world that manipulate and much more that most mortal men do not comprehend. I have seen spirits take a hold of people who were dabbling in withcraft, the cult of the Santa Muerte, and others who have deliberately hurt other humans by defaming, murdering them because they believed in a just God. Now if a God with sensible Commandments doesn`t exist why murder and persecute them? There are two forces at work at this time, and I do agree that most humans are egocentric and a religious leader can become a dictator in which the New Testament disagrees with. It says not to lord over people, but yet congregational leaders do it all the time. But yet like as someone has said, nobody looks at the rules book and has no discernment if they are following a con men or people who really desire a better life for their fellow humans. Amazing how many idols we have in this world and how easily people bow down to them whether they are in the religious, sports, or entertainment. When a nation becomes communist, huge statues are erected and people substitute their leaders for their former God.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Ecclesiastes 3:15
That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.

I tend to think a lot of trouble arises from the fact we don't understand time because of our experience of it. In my particular faith, God resides outside of time. Time is illusory. It's like seeing the earth as flat, but from a distance out, you can see the curves. Time is our experience as is walking on flat ground.

Reality is strange. Religion studies/explores the parts that can't go under a microscope and the ones which extend beyond our limited capacity for total understanding.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I have had some fantastic experiences through most of my spiritual walk with God that it doesn`t phase me what you say. The parables of Jesus are amazingly accurate when a person applies them to their life. The natural man who has not been awakened spiritually cannot understand spiritual things. There is a Scripture that states it very clearly: I Corinthians 2:14 " But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means."

edit on 19-4-2016 by Seahawk68 because: left out a z in amazinly.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seahawk68

There is a Scripture that states it very clearly: I Corinthians 2:14 " But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means."

really, how convenient....

-------------

this should be in the rant forums. same can be said about people and ufos or mythical creatures kor 'seeing the future' or remote viewing. it all falls under the same umbrella, belief in things which are all man made

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Where do you get this information from? How is our reality about to be turned on its head? According to whom ?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: forthelove

You write religion is fake but then you believe that there is another life and an oh powerful one. That is a religious belief that you believe there is only on overseeing power to all of our lives. I think the very nature you give your life to something 'more powerful' tells me a rather common story, that we are all inbuilt to think nothing of ourselves.

Religion is, nonsense. It has been created to sway our thoughts. It has been created to blind us to question the powerful that control us. After the great flood (The reinvention of our history) we begin our new history. The history those before us have set for us to believe. Then money comes into effect, to enslave us all and we work day in day out to get by. We are all slaves, this is the real concern. Religion being a lie is only the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Seahawk68

I have had some fantastic experiences through most of my spiritual walk with God that it doesn`t phase me what you say. The parables of Jesus are amazingly accurate when a person applies them to their life.

Good for you. So have people of other faiths and non-faiths. Their experiences are just as relevant and spiritual as Christianity is to you. People who read Aesop's fables find them quite enlightening. People who follow Buddhism, Hinduism, Wicca, and so on, have fantastic experiences too. And Christianity's condemnation doesn't phase them either.

The natural man who has not been awakened spiritually cannot understand spiritual things. There is a Scripture that states it very clearly: I Corinthians 2:14 " But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means."

Right. Only Christians can grasp the spiritual concepts of scripture. Not only is that insulting to other people, it's arrogant and condescending. Not saying you said that in your post, but it is a typical Christian perspective that has no merit whatsoever. Anyone who is willing to put in the time to study the bible can understand the spiritual concepts of the Christian faith.
edit on 4/19/2016 by Klassified because: their not there

edit on 4/19/2016 by Klassified because: grammar/missing word

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SisterDelirium
a reply to: Willtell

Ecclesiastes 3:15
That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.

I tend to think a lot of trouble arises from the fact we don't understand time because of our experience of it. In my particular faith, God resides outside of time. Time is illusory. It's like seeing the earth as flat, but from a distance out, you can see the curves. Time is our experience as is walking on flat ground.

Reality is strange. Religion studies/explores the parts that can't go under a microscope and the ones which extend beyond our limited capacity for total understanding.

I agree

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Right. Only Christians can grasp the spiritual concepts of scripture. Not only is that insulting to other people, it's arrogant and condescending.

I always get a good chuckle from this line of arguement...

Well, You don't have the holy spirit so you can't understand what it actually said in this part of the bible...

More like, i wasn't brainwashed by your religion... so just like everyone else, i read the passage for what it says...

No need to twist 15 other passages into a verse to prove something it doesn't say

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Right. Only Christians can grasp the spiritual concepts of scripture. Not only is that insulting to other people, it's arrogant and condescending. Not saying you said that in your post, but it is a typical Christian perspective that has no merit whatsoever. Anyone who is willing to put in the time to study the bible can understand the spiritual concepts of the Christian faith.

I read that as, "people who are not receptive to messages outside their current worldview won't be bothered listening or trying to understand". Arriving in the state of being receptive, is a mystery, and thus is attributed to God.

In my experience, that's pretty true. The more calcified a person becomes in their worldview, the less likely they are to hear or consider the merit of anything else. It's not an insult, just a statement of fact.

Also, there's a big difference between knowing that X group follows moral principles 1, 2, 3,4... and fully experiencing that group's belief system/traditions/community. It's the difference between the Cliff Notes version and studying the nuances of the text/lived communal experience for a lifetime.

Again, I fail to see how this is insulting.

edit on 19-4-2016 by SisterDelirium because: Look, I caught a typo in my typo net...

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Brilliant !!! I've heard that arguement many times. When you read the bible with the holy spirit (blind faith bias) then it makes sense. Without it your just reading the letter.

Give me a break.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: Akragon

Brilliant !!! I've heard that arguement many times. When you read the bible with the holy spirit (blind faith bias) then it makes sense. Without it your just reading the letter.

Give me a break.

Everyone is biased. It is, of course, good to try to temper those biases. Still, it's hard to imagine a human being who is entirely free from bias. Cognitive bias, of one sort or another, is another unavoidable human trait. It's deeply ingrained, as is irrationality, a tendency toward selfishness, etc.

"I read without bias." = impossible

"I read while trying to avoid bias." = a little more realistic
edit on 19-4-2016 by SisterDelirium because: Another typo in the net. I wonder if it would taste good fried?

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: matadoor

So let me get this right

You are an ordained minister?
You are an engineer?
You asked 1 Presbyterian minister about a lost tribe and you accepted that man spoke accurately, on behalf of God. Not only that, you didn't figure to research and learn for yourself as to the possible truth

You are appalled that a God of love would...

Then you are smart enough to assemble facts, what was it again, 1 minister?

Hmmmm

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr
S**T man I stopped reading here!

Your post resonates with me, I remember being born, I remember choosing my life/parents which I was shown before I was born on what seemed like a TV screen, I know I came from an energy pool with watchers ...I have a lot of memories which I have carried with me since birth and pre birth and I have always felt very different to "the rest " , probably all the people I have told of my knowledge think I'm nuts ...but I know I'm not

I have always been aware of our super power which is our soul/energy all my life but can not agree with religion as a way to manipulate humankind, this is total abuse of who we are

My conclusion was always divine intervention, a god if you like but not something that is written in books no religion can explain my understanding other than Buddhism , I live by a Karma ruling as I believe this is the way to survive and evolve as an entity, I know when this body dies my soul/energy goes back to the energy pool it came from and it starts again...choice of life and what life

Now I'll read the rest of the thread, just thought your post was too good to pass

S&F OP btw

edit on 19-4-2016 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)
spelling issue
edit on 19-4-2016 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: zerozero00
Good for you Frank; I think you got it (clued in; perceived the joke) are ahead of the rest concerning enlightenment.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SisterDelirium

I read that as, "people who are not receptive to messages outside their current worldview won't be bothered listening or trying to understand". Arriving in the state of being receptive, is a mystery, and thus is attributed to God.

Then I would say you read it wrong. Christians tend to believe that if you aren't, you really can't grasp the bible, because you're listening to the wrong spirit.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

The bible has a lot of proof of smart people manipulating dumb people...But that's about it.

How arrogant are you? LOL

First off, how did one man (Jesus) manipulate millions and millions of people, when he didn't even have the media working for him. One man that taught a few teachers, that walked the land, to inspire people's spirits to do 'good' for mankind, not what we're doing now. He changed their lives, and kept this going long, long into the future, that inspired millions and millions more. He was such a threat to the church of his time, and the government, that they put him to death for no good reason. It was because he was special. Not evil like them. Even today, with all of the technology we have, plus the MSM news corporations, and various other forms of media and internet...the government can oppress, lie and control it's people, but it can't do what Jesus did alone, and with a few friends.
SO, this isn't a case of what's happening today in our age ("smart people manipulating dumb people"), it was a case of one smart man, wanting to educate all others.

The amount of contradictions in the bible never ceases to amaze.

We apparently have different filters when reading the Bible. I know of no contradictions. I do know of a Prophesy run in the Bible that is 100% accurate so far, and things that are happening right now, like the "mark" that is to be installed into peoples right hands or foreheads, and that no man may buy or sell, save he who hath the mark. This has to be the chip that will be installed into many of us. Revelations 13. So, I don't know of ways to disprove the Bible, but I know a thing or two about proving that it has at least predicted the future well in advance, and more is still to come.

Google Verichip (now called PositivID), which they are implementing into Obamacare as we speak.

mericans should have a chip installed into them in 2017.

God of love, but wipes out 6000 people because they didn't do what he said? Does this God even understand unconditional love?

He IS God. He made them, and for them to contest him as if he didn't even matter, well, as they say "The good lord giveth, and the good lord taketh away". He's God, so maybe what's a spanking to us....is on a larger scale with him. Like I said in my post, just because the body is everything to us, it doesn't mean jack to God. It's just a container. It's the "soul" that God considers. Who said that he killed 6000 people?...whatever event this is that you're referring to.

When you step on an ant hill, do they curse God, or you? Did God do it?

When one walks too close to the edge of a cliff and falls....did God kill him? Maybe God should have dropped down and scooped him out of the sky, as truly, he isn't here to babysit us.

If he does kill 6000 people, maybe he had his reasons. Who am I to question? In consideration to the fact that earthly bodies have no real use by God. We must then consider that wiping 6000 bodies out and sending their soul to paradise, is not a bad trade in his eyes.
The Bible does mention that certain "bloodlines" have offended God, this bloodline includes any women, children and men. For all we know, the children go to heaven. I hear it's much better than this stink hole that we call earth.

A certain people that were spiritually corrupted, and maybe even a member of a literal seed of Satan are the bloodlines. Also, the Bible mentions that the fallen angels did come down, take on some type of bodily form, and mated with humans. Maybe the Rothschild's and the Rockefeller's are these spiritual hybrids that started back then. Maybe that is the type of bloodlines, that offend him and that he wipes out from time to time.

Here's the way it is. (big breath)

As you and I have both stepped on ant hills, as people fall off cliffs for doing stupid things, as the wind blows, but not in any particular direction for a reason. Life just moves on, # happens. He's not here to babysit us, we are here to pass a test of "FAITH", and it's not faith... if it's revealed to you first. Which is another prophesy if you think about it. Look around you now, God is removed from everything, and the whole world has gone mad, with the affirmative action cards, the ridiculous public decry's of feminists, terrorists cutting peoples heads off, just for being Christian (the most sought after to kill), schools teaching all manner of lies and evil, and even using tactics like common core to outright just make them stupid. Government oppression on all levels and in all countries. people everywhere crossing out the name of "Christ" in Christmas ...calling it X-mas or Xtianity (instead of Christianity), while NOT doing this to any other religion or faith. Televisions spitting out curse words and using the GD word like they're handing candy out to children, while bleeping the name of God (without the damn at the end of his name).
Whores and prostitutes who litter the internet, who were once considered "women of ill repute", are now heralded as movie stars, beloved by most of the world (but mostly in secret, of course)....it is the #1 genre of media viewed on the Internet, and has been, since the Internet was invented.
So, that is what happens, when God was is removed from everything, and there are many, many more examples......you see?

We abandoned HIM.

Because it seems I'm better than he is.

Refer to line #1 of my reply.

Does this God even understand unconditional love?

He gave his only son to die for men that hate him, or don't believe in him. The Bible does suggest, that God's face is so intense that no human being could live upon viewing it. So, it's unlikely that he is just going to jump down to earth and say "Hey! Believe me now?"...you thought 6,000 was bad.

Exodus 33:20

"King James Bible
And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live."

I've never killed 6000 people, let alone any!

Great! You're closer to passing the test than many are.

This God of yours should be trialed for genocide.

I wouldn't want to be the guy who tried it. You see, God in his spirit, is much like you and I. He can show great love, and if pushed to the point...he can get nasty. He just wields more power than our brains can comprehend. Man tries for that power "to be the same as God", but they don't have a clue just how much power they are trying to emulate. They fall short in every way.
edit on 19-4-2016 by IlluminatiTechnician because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: forthelove
a reply to: IlluminatiTechnician

Obviously you did not read the OP.

Pretty presumptuous for someone who knows nothing about what I did this morning. Although, I assure you, I did read the OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join