It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the U.S. Nukes?.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 10DeadInside10
I know the United States has thousands and thousands of nuclear missiles, but I was wondering, where are they kept? In cities, or what?

Some are in silos in missles in the middle of nowhere in south dakota, wyoming, nebraska, and kansas, and colorado. others are at bases that house B-2's B-52's and other bombers. and others are in everything proof bunkers. duh.

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
yup, could be seadud...
(Greenpeace) activists believe that on a Dutch airforce base (Vliegbasis Volkel I believe) are also nukes, still from the cold war era, that simply haven't been removed...

To my knowledge, Zion, they were taken out of Europe several years ago, after we were led to believe that the Soviet Union was destroyed and Russia was no longer a threat.
They were shipped back to the U.S., to a few installations where they are stored and maintained.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I believe there is a huge silo full of nukes where I live, not to mention a underground base, they have very high security at ground level scanning all incoming vistors. It's allows been a wonder why our city has never grown or has been told by a higher power to keep the popualtion low. It's scary, its like they won't let any new developments come in, in certains areas, one of theses areas has had a warehouse and a bunch of white, white transportation equipment appear over night!!! I mean the location is a wonder, I live the California Pass Area, It would seem they have to keep this protected at all cost other wise if someone decided to attack this would be it, this is the direct cut off point for cali, trains, the main water aquaduct runs through here.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Most are in Air Force bases. The ICBM's are spread out in the rural areas. That is so that America will have a nuclear deterent even if our bases and cities are wiped out.

they have our missle bases targeted to. if your looking through a spy sat its not hard to find. the trick is to launch while the other guy's birds are stil in the air.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by unholy enterprise
in turkey there is seem likely more of it (nuke)
let snacth it

they've been taken outta turkey. it was part of a way to get the Soviets to take their missles outta cuba in 1962 during the cuban missle crisis.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   
there are currenty 500 Minuteman III and 50 Peacekeeper nuclear missile silos, run by FE Warren AFB, Malmstrom AFB and Minot AFB. Malmstrom and Minot run Minuteman III only, while FE Warren has 150 MMIII missiles and 50 Peacekeeper (MX) missiles, spread out over Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska. the 50 Peacekeepers are scheduled for decomissioning by 2005, at which point they will be replaced by MMIII and all MMIII's will be downgraded from three warheads apiece to one. the Peacekeeper has 10 MIRV's (warheads) and was deemed too expensive to maintain (although now Bush is saying he wants to expand and update our missile technology, whcih doesn't make sense seeing as how the Peacekeeper is a much newer missile than the MMIII.)
each silo only holds one missile (Peacekeepers and MMIII use the exact same kind of silo), and each remote launch control center is responsible for ten silos, generally at least 10 miles away from the nearest silo.
the only "houses" above missile sites are at MMIII and Peacekeeper launch facilities (which are at least 10 miles from the nearest silo). a house sits above the LLC, which is anywhere from 40-80' underground. this house is used to cook meals, for security, etc. none of the other missile sites have ever had "houses" on them, although most usually had at least one quonset hut and a security shack at the gate.
there are not and have never been ICBM silos in Alaska. aside from the three bases above, the rest of our nuclear arsenal is in the form of bombers and mostly SLBM's on submarines.
finding locations isn't all that hard...the military doesn't generally come out and say where they're at, but they don't try very hard to hide them either...doing a search on google for "missile silo coordinates" will bring up a lot.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
www.siloworld.com...

a large list of silos and their co-ordinates, maybe someone can get some aerial/sat fotos of them?

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This topic made me think of some other questions. Obviously, the military has a large number of nuclear warheads. How old are the oldest of these? How modern are the internal safeguards? As a warhead ages, does the radiation flux take its toll on the associated electronics? How often are warheads "recycled," or modernized?

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If I remember correctly most of the nukes in the continental US are stored in North Dakota. I believe the number of warheads was something around 2000-2400.

Here's a good list of weapon storage sites: www.globalsecurity.org...

EDIT: Forgot to add this: www.globalsecurity.org...

[Edited on 27-12-2003 by Paradigm]

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
sorry, joke was in poor taste....my apologies.

regards
seekerof

Now why would you say that..

You actully told a joke..

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   
the warheads on MMIII and Peacekeeper missiles are recycled every couple of years (i don't know the actual schedule.) they are checked over and if there are any problems, they pull the warhead (or MIRV) and replace it with a "good" one. i believe this cycle takes about a year, after which they start it all over again (again, i'm not entirely sure on the schedule.) the launch and guidance systems are checked and upgraded or replaced as necessary. most of these upgrades and repairs are done at Hill AFB in Utah (which is why they have a MMIII and Peacekeeper on display at the base, even though they don't have missile silos in Utah.)
generally, one missile a year is randomly selected from one of the bases, pulled from its silo and sent to Vandenburg AFB. they then fit it with a dummy warhead and launch the missile (usually to White Sands.) this is another way they can gauge the condition and get a general idea of how the missiles are holding up.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   
i know 2 of the thounds

1 i found "hiking" in the Blue Rigde mountans
the other is in Suffolk Va. it used to be a nike missle base that one is less than a mile from a mall

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If I remember well a reportage I see a couple of years ago, there was 2 Major Base that Us weapon was detain. One was in Vermont...(dont remenber the name)and the other was at the Base At Patuxent River (Md.)

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Nukes...........I love them.......

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have a NATO base just 15km away from me(I am not living in Cologne centre), a friend of mine is serving the minimum time there as flight radar advisor. The chief commander is the dad of a girl of my old class
- and they have nuclear weapons. Uhhh, yea. From the US and french if I am not totally mistaken.

posted on Jan, 2 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
That list that Cleggy posted is out of date because the ICBM's on that page have all been retired. So it would pretty much be a waste of time to check them out.

Also Valombre the base was in NH not VT. It no longer has nuclear weapons and has been turned into a guard base. There was also a base in Plattsburgh,NY which has also been shutdown.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Before you consider where they are, perhaps it would be wise to think of what will stop them. What would be the greatest threat to a successful launch? I'm just speculating, but wouldn't it be radar, satellite, etc? Once they are airborne, they become targets, even with their cloaking devices.

And if you step into the common sense corner you might realize that the greatest threat to the successful mission of one of these ICBM sausages is the amount of time it spends in the air. The longer it is airborne, the greater the likelihood it will be stopped.

So the next question that pops into my head is where would these sausages be located so that their flight would be the shortest possible? Well, that depends on who the US calculates is the greatest threat. And that changes decade after decade.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join