It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexicans and Latinos in general are more American then you think

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I've been befriending illegal immigrants and legal immigrants both from Latin countries in an attempt to create a better understanding of the cultural differences and why and what they think about America and why they are here.

Something I've discovered is that besides cultural and language differences they are really like Americans in the way that they think and act.

One major difference is that they actually have a better family structure. They are more supportive of their relatives and are far more loyal than heir American counterparts. I will say that they are very hard working people and think Americans to be lazy and spoiled and I get where their coming from with that however I agree and disagree both.

One thing I've found to be true is that they do send most of their money back to Mexico but I get it, they are trying to help their family and I respect that. They drink beer and have BBQs like Americans they want their kids educated like Americans and generally speaking I really don't see many other variances.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Something I've discovered is that besides cultural and language differences they are really like Americans in the way that they think and act.

What is "American like" thinking and acting?

One major difference is that they actually have a better family structure.

How so? Better than, let's say Italian Americans? Better than Irish Americans?

edit on 17-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yeah they are far more loyal and closer than what I can observe on a general level than people who are American born from American born parents.

Look do you see how Americans think? We think different than Chinese people or even Europeans.

Clearly cultural differences however I don't know many Europeans so I can't really highlight the differences.

I have Assyrian friends and they too value friendships and family more than Americans do who I find to be less trustworthy and more spoiled similar to how immigrants think of us.
edit on 4/17/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

They are American, just not North American.

Most folk, when you get to know them, are pretty similar deep down.
edit on 17-4-2016 by beansidhe because: punc

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

I agree with that observation.

I just try to create common ground and try to understand where their coming from out of curiosity and to get a glimpse into other parts of the world.

And to counteract media driven scare tactics.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I fail to see the point you suggest in your title. Wouldn't you say that you are explaining that they want to emulate the "gringo way," rather than how you view it?

Family structure is not so strong in nations and peoples which have moved into industrial civilizations. We regular "Americans" are terrible about it, but that condition goes more or less with the job. The immigrants bring that worthy trait of "familiness" with them. A good thing, highly valued in their home existence, but no doubt that will change when their educated young look for careers in their fields and must choose what is most important in this current society, leaving family or going to some mega city for a job.

And your explaining why you have befriended some of these Mexicans and Latins...I'll just say I find it interesting.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Good plan. One of the best ways to learn about our strange world is to travel and make friends.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I'm not from California and being in California I've decided to expand upon my regular friends who I meet at my gym and at work and for whatever reason there really isn't that many immigrants in either places so when I meet one I go out of my way to get to know them better with the intent of just trying to expand my knowledge.

I see no problems with this.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What made you go from This Thread to what you're experiencing now.

These Mexicans like you. What changed?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Nothing changed in trying to get a handle on what the different perspectives and see through all the bs and try to problem solve.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Except Mexicans ARE North American.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
aside from the fact that united states is most productive country on the planet with the lest amount of time off. who are they to judge and call americans lazy. If you dont find the lazy comment offensive you have no backbone. I have also heard that comment and it makes me very very pissed given the situation they help create. A large low skilled work force drives wages down and it has reached the point where it requires two jobs to live. The other option to put your future at risk by educating your self to a phd level and about 150,000 in debt then wishing you find a job that isnt given to an hb-1 visa from india. But its easy to call the people following the rules lazy for not wanting to work 12 hour days at below min wage. when they dont pay insurance, taxes and get paid under the table with no repercusions sure americans are lazy lol.But the lazy fund the roads, fund the health care, fund the housing, fund the education how lazy these people are. Next time you hear that comment explain how the lazy people have made it possible to live or just point to what i wrote and hit google translate

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

central american not north american look at a map correctly please

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think it's a good thing you are trying to understand the situation from personal experience. Sometimes, things we're told aren't quite accurate.

The work ethic of some immigrants is what our ancestors had -- the ones who came to America during the potato famine and before the Civil War. Some of these folks embody what it means to be "American" more than those born here.

Seeing things from different perspectives is valuable thing. Even in "The Art of War" military leaders are encouraged to think/see things as their opponents would.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

I get that perspective as well.

Trust me I do a lot of back and forth and have many perspective changes.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy
Hello dear American, take a gander at this.
en.wikipedia.org...

Mexico is a federal republic located in North America

travel.nationalgeographic.com...

What? Exactly. Study geography next time please.
edit on 17-4-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

So they are! Why did I think they were from Central America?
Have they moved recently?

Cheers, Tiamat.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's likely a common misconception based on the fact that they are a Latino nation. That's my assumption anyway, but I could be wrong.

Cheers (Never too early)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I presume by "American" you mean somebody from the United States.

Which makes me ask this: if what you deem to be behavior "more American" than what Americans do, how can it be more American? They're doing something you're arguing most Americans do not do. If most Americans don't do something, it's not a very American thing then is it?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Could it be that the American way is considered as the original way? As in times before? I'm not sure, but just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join